Help - Slow CD/DVD Drives

Reaction score
Any idea why these drives take such a long time running up, when loading a disk, in my new PC please?

My OS is XP Professional

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you mean it takes a while before the CD/DVD is first accessed, or it is just slow at transferring? Also, do you know how the drives are connected to your motherboard, are they SATA too or are they each using an IDE channel to the motherboard (as I see your main drives are SATA).

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Do you mean it takes a while before the CD/DVD is first accessed, or it is just slow at transferring? Also, do you know how the drives are connected to your motherboard, are they SATA too or are they each using an IDE channel to the motherboard (as I see your main drives are SATA).

Trying to load games and it seems to take for ever to respond. I don not know how they are connected.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
This is quite "normal" for DVD/CD drives ... especially combo drives, DVDRWs using DVD disks ... I can go make a cup of coffee while Stalker loads, it's a DVD ... DVD films are a little quicker to load. :D

Unfortunately, we need a bit more info. Can you elaborate on the time taken, what game, does a music CD take as long ... loaded/updated any "writing/burning" software ?

user.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
IDE cables are usually grey and about 2" wide and SATA cables are only about half an inch wide . Look at the cables coming from your HD and if they are the same as your DVD drive they are SATA if they are the wider type then they are IDE . :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
IDE cables are usually grey and about 2" wide and SATA cables are only about half an inch wide . Look at the cables coming from your HD and if they are the same as your DVD drive they are SATA if they are the wider type then they are IDE . :D
The Sony is an IDE drive, I suspect the other drive will also be IDE.

It don't matter that much whether the DVD/CD drives are IDE or SATA, they are by their nature "slow" drives. Once they "spin-up-to-speed" then there should be no noticeable slow-down ... that again depends on what you, or your PC, is doing at the same time, and what information is being sought from the drive.

I can send you two CDs, one will give you no problems, the other will, hiccup, stutter even stop, but will eventually "play" with enough cajoling ... ;)

There is a big difference between DVD & CD "speeds" as in a 16x CDRom drives has no relation to a 16x DVD drive ... :D

:user:

Reaction score
cguil_uk said:
Any idea why these drives take such a long time running up, when loading a disk, in my new PC please?

My OS is XP Professional

The problem seems to be with autoload disks. My data disks work fine. See attached.

Attachments

• System Security Status 1a.doc
    93 KB · Views: 159
Reaction score
Good news!!

cguil_uk said:

My OS is XP Professional

Good news!! it seems to have put itself right after defragging the disk. Some of the games are still a bit on the slow side, but otherwise, it seems to be OK. :D :thumb:

Thanks for your input :)

Ask a Question