Windows XP Help re LUCOMS-1.EXE and others!

Reaction score
I'm running Windoxs XP SP 2 on a 2.8G Pentium 4 with 512 MB RAM, currently have Norton AV and connect to internet via ADSL.

Although not the fastest computer at the best of times, for a week now it's been acting extremely oddly. I'm getting literally millions of LUCOMS-1.EXE Application Error message, not just when I'm online but pretty much all of the while. It takes at least 20 mins to completely boot up, every time. I lose my desktop wallpaper each time I restart and I can't seem to be able to uninstall any programmes.

I was thinking of uninstalling Norton, buying a new virus software and having a clean start but I don't seem to be able to do that.

Short of formatting my hard drive and staring again, can anybody help me please?

Reaction score
Get rid of Norton mate,

Either buy Kaspersky, or you can download these free ones. Anti Vir Avast and also Super Anti Spyware. Check with these for any nasties on your system. If you do go ahead with a format of the drive then you will need to back up your data first also to do a format and reinstall windows you will need a proper XP Pro disk.

Reaction score
As Wizkid has pointed out, get rid of Norton..The error you are getting has to do with Nortons live update..Its not a virus or nasty of any kind..Do yourself a favour and purchase Kaspersky..You'll be glad you spent the money..

Ask a Question