Windows XP Help, problems receiving certain emails

Reaction score
My husband works in the prison service and send a word file by email to our home computer (application form). We're on Windows XP. Outlook won't let me open the file. I can't remember what it said but i'm a little bit stuck as to how to get to it - any ideas?

He also brought is home on a floppy, but our new computer doesn't have a drive for that (is this strange? i'd never even noticed until i wanted to use it?). Our old computer does, but isn't set up for email so i wouldn't be able to send it out electronically.

I'd appreciate any help
thanks
dramamqueen

Reaction score
Maybe it is a compatibilty issue with different versions of word...?

What version are you using and what version are the other people using?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
can you open your emails via the web rather than through outlook? or alternatively you could popyour floppy drive into your new sytem which isnt to hard

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think I know what you mean, does it show the file attachment but not let you open it?

Go to:

Tools > Options > Security

Then uncheck "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially contain a virus" as it stops even word documents :)

Hopefully that should work!

Reaction score
Thankyou thankyou thankyou! The simplest solution worked BUT does that leave me open to picking up a virus? AND if i check the box i unchecked does that mean i will still be able to read the file that i couldn't read before??

Many thanks for your extremely speedy responses

Dramaqueen
(technophobe)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you have now saved that file, just tick the box again and you can still open it :)

You will only get a virus if you open a file you shouldn't - which is possible, so I'd recommend having an anti-virus as always.

Reaction score
Thanks, i do have a virus checker - etrust anit virus - hope it does it's job well!

I'll re-check my box, but could you answer another question while you're at it.....

The document i received was produced in Microsoft Word and when i've opened it in Microsoft Works little blocks have appeared and i can't seem to remove them without upsetting the whole table - is there any way i can avoid these little mites?

Ta
Dramaqueen!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
dramaqueen2 said:
Thanks, i do have a virus checker - etrust anit virus - hope it does it's job well!

I'll re-check my box, but could you answer another question while you're at it.....

The document i received was produced in Microsoft Word and when i've opened it in Microsoft Works little blocks have appeared and i can't seem to remove them without upsetting the whole table - is there any way i can avoid these little mites?

Ta
Dramaqueen!
This may help ... :)

Reaction score
Thanks, but will that work for microsoft works? - the system requirements don't mention 'works' (please bear in mind i am a total TECHNOPHOBE so if i'm asking something obvious - sorry!)

System Requirements for Using Word Viewer
  • personal computer with a 486 or higher processor
  • Microsoft Windows® 95 operating system or Microsoft Windows NT® Workstation operating system 3.51 or later
  • 4 MB of memory for Windows 95 (8 MB recommended)
  • 12 MB of memory for Windows NT Workstation
  • 7 MB of hard disk space (9 MB free for installation only)
  • VGA or higher-resolution video adapter
  • Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry DQ that little 'program' is a "viewer", its only real purpose it so you can read Word files.

The only real way you'll be able to do anything with the 'document' is if you have your own copy of Word ... an alternative is to get the sender to save it as a Works Doc file before sending.

:(

Ask a Question