Help Please with CT Helper MFC message

Reaction score
Hello,

I am glad I found this forum and am hoping I can get some help. I bought some new headphones last saturday so I could speak with some friends on my PC through a program called "Skype". When I plugged in the head phones, I no longer had any sound on my PC. I now keep getting a message that states "CT Helper MFC application has encountered a problem" I send reports to Microsoft but I can't get any help and I still can't get my sound to work. When I check my sound it says everything is working correct but it isn't.
Can some one please tell me how to fix this or undo what I may have done by simply plugging in my new headphones?

Thank you
Mikale

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You have a creative sound card?

That was one of many things running on startup that i removed when i installed my X-FI. Its not needed generally

Hit start, then run, type msconfig and hit ok. Under the start up tab find the entry called CTHelper untick the box and hit ok. Restart the pc and see if it fixes the problem.

post back if you still have issues. :)

Reaction score
Thank you!

I did what you said and I restarted my PC. Still no sound.

What else can I do? and thank you so much for your prompt response!

Mikale

V_R said:
You have a creative sound card?

That was one of many things running on startup that i removed when i installed my X-FI. Its not needed generally

Hit start, then run, type msconfig and hit ok. Under the start up tab find the entry called CTHelper untick the box and hit ok. Restart the pc and see if it fixes the problem.

post back if you still have issues. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Whats the full message?

Could we have a few more details, whats the card? What version of the drivers are you running?

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is the message I am getting:

SpkSet.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The sound card driver is : ctaud2k.sys

It is creative audigy audio processor (WDM)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Right and the card model is? Go to start, run type dxdiag hit ok. go to the sound tab and tell me the make of the card in the box labeled 'device' While your there tell me what version of the drivers your running, (will be something like 5.5.1256) found in the box labeled 'drivers on the same page.

When does the error message pop up? Is it whan you click on something in the sound control panel?

Reaction score
it is 5.12.0001.0328

I get that message when I try to test my sound

I just tried to test it again while I had opened up what you told me to and I got this message:

DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Have you tried installing the latest driver from the vreative site?

Are you in the UK?

Reaction score
No I haven't tried to install anything? I don't understand why plugging in a microphone would cause my sound to quit.

I am in Tennessee USA

Reaction score
I guess no one knows how to help me further.

Thank you anyway for your time

Mikale

Ask a Question