Help Please: How to Format Data in Hierarchical Fashion???

G

Hi All

Trying to better understand how to do ASP.NET here, and am having a hard time understanding how to format data in a Hierarchical manner

Basically, I've looked at the Repeater control with Templates and this doesn't appear to be able to provide the type of output that I'd like. I also come from a ColdFusion background and so am used to putting formatting, breaks in loops that reside on the actual page. I REALLY like this concept of CodeBehind and would like to take advantage of this, but am having a difficult time understand how to keep IF's and LOOPS out of the HTML based page

The page I'm trying to build would have the following format

Song Title (Song #1
- Song Part (Demo
- Song Part (Melody
- Song Part (Tenor
- Song Part (Alto

Song Title (Song #2
- Song Part (Demo
- Song Part (Melody
- Song Part (Tenor
- Song Part (Alto

I don't see anything in the Repeater control to handle breaking on Song, so I'm at a loss here

Anyone clue in a newbie such as me

Appreciate any help in figuring this out

Thanks...Bob

G

In asp.net there's no automatic way to display data in a hierarchy. You have to build that functionality on your own.
Check out the following article that explains how you can implement a hierarchical grid using existing ASP.NET server controls

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/10/CuttingEdge/default.asp

Or you buy a 3rd pary control that can do this for you. Some products in the market that'll do this are Infragistics UltraWebGrid and DevExpress ASPXGrid. Search these products on Google for more information

HTH
Suresh

----- Bob McCormick wrote: ----

Hi All

Trying to better understand how to do ASP.NET here, and am having a hard time understanding how to format data in a Hierarchical manner

Basically, I've looked at the Repeater control with Templates and this doesn't appear to be able to provide the type of output that I'd like. I also come from a ColdFusion background and so am used to putting formatting, breaks in loops that reside on the actual page. I REALLY like this concept of CodeBehind and would like to take advantage of this, but am having a difficult time understand how to keep IF's and LOOPS out of the HTML based page

Song Title (Song #1
- Song Part (Demo
- Song Part (Melody
- Song Part (Tenor
- Song Part (Alto

Song Title (Song #2
- Song Part (Demo
- Song Part (Melody
- Song Part (Tenor
- Song Part (Alto

I don't see anything in the Repeater control to handle breaking on Song, so I'm at a loss here

Thanks...Bob

G

OK - thanks Sures

----- Suresh wrote: ----

In asp.net there's no automatic way to display data in a hierarchy. You have to build that functionality on your own.
Check out the following article that explains how you can implement a hierarchical grid using existing ASP.NET server controls

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/10/CuttingEdge/default.asp

Or you buy a 3rd pary control that can do this for you. Some products in the market that'll do this are Infragistics UltraWebGrid and DevExpress ASPXGrid. Search these products on Google for more information

HTH
Suresh

----- Bob McCormick wrote: ----

Hi All

Song Title (Song #1
- Song Part (Demo
- Song Part (Melody
- Song Part (Tenor
- Song Part (Alto

Song Title (Song #2
- Song Part (Demo
- Song Part (Melody
- Song Part (Tenor
- Song Part (Alto

Thanks...Bob

Ask a Question