- Help on Video card install

Air Force Jayhawk

Bought an ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 and am having serious problems
getting it to install. Tech support was no help...they seem willing
to just let me take it back.

Anyway, the install of the drivers keeps failing with the message
telling me to first "try to setup your display with a standard VGA
driver before running setup."

In Win98, I vaguely remember being able to pick from a list that
included a basic adapter. XP doesn't seem to let me...it is smart
enough to recognize the card and only shows a list that match that
card. Yet none will install without errors.

Any clue on how to install the basic, windows-supplied VGA driver?
Anyone know what compressed file (or even what it is called) it is in
on the XP disk? I suppose I can simply extract it and then point to
it when it asks for a driver...

Need soon as I am leaving town Saturday and either need it running or
am taking it back. Shame, 'cuz the PVR feaures looked awesome...

AFJ

R. McCarty

Don't run setup, Instead do this.
Start\Run\Control Panel\System\Hardware\Device Manager
Click the + besides Video Adapters
There should only be one entry, any shown grayed out, Right
Click them and choose Uninstall
Double-Click the one listed adapter.
From the applet box, click the Driver Tab
Then click the button, Update Driver
**Place the ATI disk in Drive, but close the Autorun program
Click the option "Install from a list or specific location" - Next
From the option box, click Don't Search I will choose a driver,
Next
Uncheck the box that says "Show Compatible Hardware"
Then Click Have Disk
Browse to your CD-ROM Drive letter that has the ATI installer
(You may have to browse into a sub-folder Drivers & then
again to WinXP)
When the driver .Inf file is located the box will show the ATI
cards, select yours and then press next.
A reboot will be necessary, This will install the driver, but not
any of the custom ATI software. After reboot if the card works
properly you can probably try Setup.Exe again.

Air Force Jayhawk

Don't run setup, Instead do this.
Start\Run\Control Panel\System\Hardware\Device Manager
Click the + besides Video Adapters
There should only be one entry, any shown grayed out, Right
Click them and choose Uninstall
Double-Click the one listed adapter.
From the applet box, click the Driver Tab
Then click the button, Update Driver
**Place the ATI disk in Drive, but close the Autorun program
Click the option "Install from a list or specific location" - Next
From the option box, click Don't Search I will choose a driver,
Next
Uncheck the box that says "Show Compatible Hardware"
Then Click Have Disk
Browse to your CD-ROM Drive letter that has the ATI installer
(You may have to browse into a sub-folder Drivers & then
again to WinXP)
When the driver .Inf file is located the box will show the ATI
cards, select yours and then press next.
A reboot will be necessary, This will install the driver, but not
any of the custom ATI software. After reboot if the card works
properly you can probably try Setup.Exe again.
Doesn't work (tried several times). The install always crumps before
completion.

Chris Marshall

Air Force Jayhawk said:
[...]

I've now got exactly the same problem - and have tried a variety of
things with no success.

Did you ever find a cure ?

Air Force Jayhawk

I've now got exactly the same problem - and have tried a variety of
things with no success.

Did you ever find a cure ?

Nope...trasded it for another becasue tech support';s only solution
was that the card must be bad. same problem. Bought a pinnacle PCTV
pro. We'll see...

Chris Marshall

Air Force Jayhawk said:
Nope...trasded it for another becasue tech support';s only solution
was that the card must be bad. same problem. Bought a pinnacle PCTV
pro. We'll see...

I finally solved this.

I found this article on the ATI website:
http://mirror.ati.com/support/infobase/4037.html

which as my old card had been a winfast one I happened to read.

This directed me to this MS page
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810509

Once I downloaded and ran "Pnpreg –l" the problem was solved and I
could install the 3.10 drivers first time.

Hope this helps you.

DCM

Gonna try the 3.10 drivers and maybe this too if they don't work:
http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4299.html

I am having the same issues with a ATI All in Wonder Radeon 9000 Pro
card. I have had it for 6 months in a Dell and it has worked fine. Now
I get the game Call of Duty and the ATI Driver crashes it. I have
driver to install (trying to install 3.10), but every time I run it, I
get this "Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver
before running setup" error message. Have you guys come up with any
solution yet?

purplehaz

DCM said:
(e-mail address removed) (Chris Marshall) wrote in message

I am having the same issues with a ATI All in Wonder Radeon 9000 Pro
card. I have had it for 6 months in a Dell and it has worked fine. Now
I get the game Call of Duty and the ATI Driver crashes it. I have
driver to install (trying to install 3.10), but every time I run it, I
get this "Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver
before running setup" error message. Have you guys come up with any
solution yet?

Try booting to safe mode, it will load the standard vga drivers. Then do the
update.