Help Needed With Removing Virus

Reaction score
I hope some can help me with a Virus problem I have. My knowledge of all things computing is pretty basic to say the least, so don’t fear you will be insulting me by offering an ‘idiot’s guide’ solution!

I had loads and loads of error messages telling me that my email to various locations had failed (I hadn’t been sending any emails btw). I shut everything down, restarted my PC and ran my virus scanner (Norton Antivirus).

It listed 3 instances of something called ‘INFOSTEALER.BANK.C’, which needed to be removed manually as apprently it cannot be removed automatically. I was directed to the Sysmantec website for instructions.

It told me to insert my windows CD and restart using the Windows Recovery Console, delete a load of stuff, update virus definitions, run a full scan, then delete values from Registry. It all seemed pretty involved to me!

Anyway, I failed at the first hurdle! The CD I received with the PC is called the ‘Product Recovery CD’ No where on the CD could I finds an option to restart using Windows Recovery Console, as suggested on the Sysmantec site.

The PC and CD date back to 2001 when I bought the machine. I am running Windows XP Home Edition.

Is there any other way of resolving this problem and deleting the offending virus?

How dangerous is this virus?

All suggestions gratefully received!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The first thing I'd try is another anti-virus software, just to see if it can be removed automatically.

First, disable system restore and then boot your PC using safe-mode (keep tapping F8 as your computer starts up and select "safe mode with networking"). Then connect to the internet and go to this site, which will let you do an anti-virus scan online:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/

Give that a go and see if it is able to remove it before you try the manual method. Just remember to re-enable system restore once you are done :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the promt reply Ian.

I have disabled system restore and rebooted using 'safe mode with networking'.

Unfortunately, I am unable to open the url you recommend. I tried typing it in as well (and tried www before the housecall part), but I just get the 'page not available' display.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The link is working fine for me.

Can you open other urls in safe mode?

In other words, can you get online?

Reaction score
Yeah, I can get online okay - just tried verious sites. However, when I try the link I get ; "This program cannot display the webpage". Actually, I'm not sure what you can't do in safe mode, or why it is safe!.

Reaction score
Right, this is a bit weird. I can get online fine (just been on the BBC site and looking at various sports pages!) but cannot get to the housecall or Kaspersky pages (get "This program cannot display the webpage". for both of them).

Is it something to do with being in Safe Mode?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
you got Bob Hope & No Hope ...

Oh gawd, another Norton-we-let-anything-in AV cock-up.

My honest opinion ... reformat & clean install your system using the supplied ‘Product Recovery CD’ cos your PC supplier was too tight to give you a "real" CD. :rolleyes:

The reason you cannot get to the sites needed is because the Virus-Trojan-Malware-Worm infestation is blocking your access to them programs. :nod:

Try this one ... CureIt ... if you cannot get to that website, and, you ain't got any other alternative apart from the infected PC to connect to the tinternet ... reformat.

:wave:

Reaction score
I agree with mucks, once you have formatted and reinstalled, get a decent AV program such as NOD32, Kaspersky for paid, or for free I recommend Avast or AntiVir

Reaction score
I tried the CureIt link, This time I got to the website, but when I tried to run the software I got a message "The system administrator has set policies to prevent installation"

So I guess I'm back to re-installing.

Reaction score
I inserted the Recovery CD and selected 'install Windows XP'

I got a message saying : "Setup cannot continue because the version of windows on your machine is newer than the one on the CD. If you continue files and settings cannot be recovered"

I take it this means I have to got to thw Windows update Page and get all the updates I've had for the last 7 years?

Just want to check before I do anything irreversible!

Reaction score
I inserted the recovery CD and selected install Windows XP

I got a message saying: Setup cannot contine as CD version is older than version on your computer. If you continue, files and settings will be lost and cannot be recovered".

I guess this means I would need to visit the windows Update page and rdownload all those updates I've had for the last 7 or so years?

Just want to check before I do anything irreversible!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Headscratcher said:
I tried the CureIt link, This time I got to the website, but when I tried to run the software I got a message "The system administrator has set policies to prevent installation"

So I guess I'm back to re-installing.
That program doesn't get "installed" per sa, that's one of its assets ... you really have some bad MF on your system.

Yes, if you do a new, clean install, YOU WILL LOOSE EVERYTING ... :nod:

So, first thing for you to go get would be a half decent AV program ... Antivir is free ... I do not recommend ANY other free AV program.

CureIt is a one off check-up that will eliminate and fix a lot nasties ... :thumb:

I recommend ESET NOD32, there is a trial version you can use ... :D

:user:

Reaction score
What is MF? (Really showing my ignorance, I know!)

Really, really not looking forward to losing everything, but if there is no alternative I guess I have to ......

Is'nt there a way of blocking them from blocking me, so to speak, so that I can download something to get rid of the pesky little tykes?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Headscratcher said:
What is MF? (Really showing my ignorance, I know!)

Really, really not looking forward to losing everything, but if there is no alternative I guess I have to ......

Is'nt there a way of blocking them from blocking me, so to speak, so that I can download something to get rid of the pesky little tykes?
The alternative is to get hold of someone who knows what they are doing in helping remove these nasties you may have.

That ain't easy here with the limitations we have. You have more than one nastie.

MF ... ah, well that was me avoiding the sware filter. First word Mother, second word begins with F..... and ends in r :blush:

I know it ain't funny, but never leave ANY important data on a PC, not even emails. EVERY PC fails, one way or another, it'll bit you. ;)

I can recomend you try BleepingComputers if you really need to keep, or try and keep, your PC as is ... cleaned.

Be in for a long fight ...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You could get a external hdd, copy or move all the files and folders you need to keep on to it. Do a clean re-install of Xp on your original drive, Install one of the anti virus programs recommended here. Then copy or move your files and folders back to the pc from the external hdd. As they transfer they should be passed through the anti-virus program and you should end up with a clean pc. Then delete all the files and folders of the external hdd and re-format just to be sure.

Voila ! You have a fresh install of XP and all your files and folders safe. An you have a external hdd that you can now use for BACKUPS.

It will take some time, use that time to read up on backing up, I think this is a good path to follow.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
You could get a external hdd, copy or move all the files and folders you need to keep on to it. Do a clean re-install of Xp on your original drive, Install one of the anti virus programs recommended here.

Good thinking batman, you must have been reading my mind...:p

Reaction score
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question: If you installl XP again, what exactly do you lose? apart from files and folders, do you lose other stuff you have instaled like various programs and bits of software?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Headscratcher said:
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question: If you installl XP again, what exactly do you lose? apart from files and folders, do you lose other stuff you have instaled like various programs and bits of software?
If, as I suspect without "seeing" your system, you are infected with several nasties ... a clean-install is needed, that will delete everything.

You may be able to perform a "dirty-install" which replaces Windows but keeps your data intact ... not a very good idea if your nasties are attached to your data, you'll just reinfect yourself.

Either seek local professional help, or, go to Bleepingcomputers, or, reformat your HD.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
If, as I suspect without "seeing" your system, you are infected with several nasties ... a clean-install is needed, that will delete everything.

You may be able to perform a "dirty-install" which replaces Windows but keeps your data intact ... not a very good idea if your nasties are attached to your data, you'll just reinfect yourself.

Either seek local professional help, or, go to Bleepingcomputers, or, reformat your HD.

user.gif
Save what you can but that is risky? so I would not hesitate to go along the lines of mucks suggestion>>
reformat your HD.:nod: Then you will have a clean mean computer machine....:thumb:

Ask a Question