Help Needed To Locate And Delete Adware File In C:\RECYCLER

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by John Fraser, May 6, 2004.

  1. John Fraser

    John Fraser Guest

    Hello XP givers of advice

    I recently ran a full system virus scan using Norton Internet Security 2004.

    The scan revealed the presence of an Adware file in the C:\RECYCLER
    directory.

    Norton was unable to delete the file. I obtained further info re the Adware
    file from the Norton Website.

    The advice there was to manually delete the Adware file myself.

    I have been unable to find the offending file in the directory above -
    find/search says file not found etc. I have also been unable to delete the
    directory - each time I attempt to delete the directory, I get the message
    "some other program is using the file etc". I tried starting XP in Safe
    Mode, closing explorer and using a DOS command prompt, but all has failed. I
    can find no related info in XP help, nor in the MS Knowledge Database.

    My XP reference text describes the directory above (C:\RECYCLER) as a
    "hidden protected operating system folder". Obviously the problem of
    locating and deleting the file is bound up in this hidden/protected stuff.

    Could someone please explain

    (1)why XP "search" does not locate the file, despite Norton Internet
    Security stating that the file exists in this directory.

    (2) how I delete the file, or at least delete the subdirectory within
    C:\RECYCLER that apparently contains the offending file.

    With thanks

    Panther2000

    John Fraser, May 6, 2004

  2. John Fraser

    AnnonUser Guest

    John Fraser wrote:

    >Hello XP givers of advice
    >
    >I recently ran a full system virus scan using Norton Internet Security 2004.
    >
    >The scan revealed the presence of an Adware file in the C:\RECYCLER
    >directory.
    >
    >Norton was unable to delete the file. I obtained further info re the Adware
    >file from the Norton Website.
    >
    >The advice there was to manually delete the Adware file myself.
    >
    >I have been unable to find the offending file in the directory above -
    >find/search says file not found etc. I have also been unable to delete the
    >directory - each time I attempt to delete the directory, I get the message
    >"some other program is using the file etc". I tried starting XP in Safe
    >Mode, closing explorer and using a DOS command prompt, but all has failed. I
    >can find no related info in XP help, nor in the MS Knowledge Database.
    >
    >My XP reference text describes the directory above (C:\RECYCLER) as a
    >"hidden protected operating system folder". Obviously the problem of
    >locating and deleting the file is bound up in this hidden/protected stuff.
    >
    >Could someone please explain
    >
    >(1)why XP "search" does not locate the file, despite Norton Internet
    >Security stating that the file exists in this directory.
    >
    >(2) how I delete the file, or at least delete the subdirectory within
    >C:\RECYCLER that apparently contains the offending file.
    >
    >With thanks
    >
    >Panther2000

    Ad-Aware 6.0 - for removing spyware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spybot Search & Destroy - for removing spyware
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    AnnonUser, May 6, 2004

  3. John Fraser

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    John;

    Forget Norton, they may be OK for virii but not scumware.

    First.
    Right click the IE icon | Properties | Advanced tab |
    Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

     Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
    components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
    perform a particular task.]]
     Enable Install On Demand (Other)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
    page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
    particular task.]]

    Apply | OK
    =================================

    Second.
    It is known as Scumware. Visit these sites. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are really good.
    Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
    good, FREE utilities.
    The first site gives some recommendations.
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads.php?cat=all#s-p

    1) Spybot S & D
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download
    or
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

    2) SpywareBlaster
    SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from ever
    being installed.
    The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
    SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.

    3) HijackThis (some other stuff that may be of interest also)
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/index.html

    4) CWShredder direct download:
    http://216.180.233.163/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

    4½) CWShredder
    http://majorgeeks.com/download4086.html

    5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

    6) ToolbarCop
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

    7) AdAware
    ===============

    Additional information & instructions.
    A wealth of information here, boys and girls.

    THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

    THE PARASITE FIGHT
    Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups

    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827315#appliesto

    Spyware and Deceptive Software
    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.mspx?gssnb=1

    What you should know about spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:%,
    John Fraser <> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley Vogel, May 6, 2004
  4. John Fraser

    roger Guest

    Hi John,

    On Thu, 6 May 2004 16:57:35 +1000, "John Fraser"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello XP givers of advice
    >
    >I recently ran a full system virus scan using Norton Internet Security 2004.
    >
    >The scan revealed the presence of an Adware file in the C:\RECYCLER
    >directory.
    >
    >Norton was unable to delete the file. I obtained further info re the Adware
    >file from the Norton Website.

    C:\Recycler is the recycle bin if you're using the NTFS system.

    You need to make sure that is the only file in the recycle bin, or it
    is empty except for that file.
    If you have Windows XP Professional, boot to the recovery console
    after enhancing its capabilities according to this article:
    310497 - HOW TO: Add More Power to Recovery Console By Using Group
    Policy in Windows XP Professional.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310497

    From the recovery console type:
    set AllowAllPaths = TRUE
    RD Recycler /s
    The recycle bin being a protected system folder, it will be recreated
    when you next boot, without the offending file.

    Another option is booting from a Windows 98 boot disk and using the
    same command rd

    HTH

    roger, May 6, 2004