Help needed on new computer!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
On the whole PSU deal, what is the highest Wattage you can get?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
DuffMan said:
Righty o, been doing some looking around and have found the Tagan 420W Whisper in stock, however the Enermax equivalent isn't. How would that fair in my system and would that be more than enough? Also, just curious as to whether these PSU companies have any warranty policy if their PSU causes your computer to quite literally 'blow up'?

Havn't really found a tower case I like, but what are your views on the CoolerMaster Cavalier 3 and the WaveMaster case, as both look quite understated and smart looking?

Also, have doubled HDD to 160gig, still keeping the SATA and NCQ options - that will be more than enough for gaming right?
Tagan 420W will be fine.

btw, apparently there was an issue between some Antec PSU's and Sckt 939 boards, they weren't compatible with each other or something, so best avoid Antec for now. There's another Forum thread that touches on this subject [url=http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=371790&page=1&pp=15[/url]]Here

Cases: Your choice, I only ever use Lian LI, Chieftec, Antec or sometimes a generic cheapie for a cheap system build.

160Gig will be plenty, in my opinion.[/url]

Reaction score
push for 200gb in most harddrive manufactures you are looking at 10 -20 quid just for the extra 40gb!

look at the differences in the price of your manufacturer if the difference is very close for 200gb or 250gb then i reckon its worth it

i myself am looking to buy a 400gb or even a 500gb harddrive to store all my data, at the present time 400gb is too expensive and i have not seen any 500gb harddrives! but when 500gb comes out im hoping 400gb drive will fall in price dramatically!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
DuffMan said:
Righty o, been doing some looking around and have found the Tagan 420W Whisper in stock, however the Enermax equivalent isn't. How would that fair in my system and would that be more than enough? Also, just curious as to whether these PSU companies have any warranty policy if their PSU causes your computer to quite literally 'blow up'?

Also, have doubled HDD to 160gig, still keeping the SATA and NCQ options - that will be more than enough for gaming right?
I've used Tagan Power supplies before, and I really liked them - so I think that would be a very nice choice (there is a review on this site under the Misc. section).

A 160GB drive sounds like a sensible option too, that should be fine for gaming :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Alf said:
On the whole PSU deal, what is the highest Wattage you can get?

the biggest i've ever seen is 680W from thermaltake but its around £100

Reaction score
Ok Cheers so far,
Just a bit anxious about spending £800 on parts from a certain e-store (scan.co.uk) as i have read some reviews of their returns policy and customer service history in another thread and it has put me off, since inevitabely something will go wrong and could end badly, perhaps not quite as bad as Microland Tech. but still causing some aggro.

So was just wondering what I could do to prevent problems arising (going to order using credit card for starters)

Also, I'm aware that other e-stores have similar reputations, including MD, dabs, ebuyer, pc world component store to name a few - so if anyone has bought pretty much an entire system from scratch, which company did you use and did any problems occur?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My experience:

Best e-store: Kustom PC's. But it's likely they won't have all you want.

2nd: overclock.co.uk No probs with RMA's at all, so far.

3rd: overclcokers.co.uk They will probably have all you need, their prices are good and so is their delivery. To rma something though, you can't use e-mail, you have to phone. And the phone is often engaged. Once you do get through however, they're helpful and an rma is easily arranged.

I've rma'ed a hard disk to Scan, it took a week.

Have also rma'ed stuff to komplett and tekheads, no problems.

In my experience, avoid MicroDirect, e-buyer, redstore & PC World.

I've bought stuff from Dabs but never had to rma anything there.

Oh, and CCL are OK as well, the very first thing I bought from them was faulty, but I had no problems with an rma. But they don't have much of a range.

Ask a Question