help needed identifying virus

james ravazzolo

a friends computer (win98) boots up, but the 'welcome to windows' login box
is enormous (takes up almost the whole screen). It appears the screen size
has been changed to something like 160 x 80 pixels. Mouse doesn't seem to
work (arrow is also 5x larger than normal).

I can boot to Safe Mode ok with a normal sized screen, and tried to run his
Norton AV program. It consistently crashes to a Fatal Exception screen
with the following:

Fatal Exception OE occurred at 0028:C00078C0 in VXD VMM(01) + 000068C0.
The stinger.exe virus utility also crashes at the same location.

David H. Lipman

The Win98 OS is corrupted. It may be a video driver problem. Doubtful it is a virus and if
so, Stinger would not have helped because none of the 45 infectors that Stinger targets
would be the cause of such a malady.

Dave

| a friends computer (win98) boots up, but the 'welcome to windows' login box
| is enormous (takes up almost the whole screen). It appears the screen size
| has been changed to something like 160 x 80 pixels. Mouse doesn't seem to
| work (arrow is also 5x larger than normal).
|
| I can boot to Safe Mode ok with a normal sized screen, and tried to run his
| Norton AV program. It consistently crashes to a Fatal Exception screen
| with the following:
|
| Fatal Exception OE occurred at 0028:C00078C0 in VXD VMM(01) + 000068C0.
| The stinger.exe virus utility also crashes at the same location.

Simon Cussonnet

jan nez poing sout lam min pourre le moman