HELP: My Outlook has gone berserk !

Patricia Cardoza - [MVP Outlook]

It's not an Outlook problem. It's likely the most recent virus. Someone you
know or who has your address (or who got your address from a newsgroup)is
sending out the latest virus with your address as the spoofed FROM address.
There's nothing you can do but wait it out.

--
Patricia Cardoza
Outlook MVP

Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003

***Please post all replies to the newsgroups***
I am getting a flood of funny emails on my Outlook XP that are as follows:

From: Mail Delivery Subsystem
Subject: Returned mial: See Transcript

Content:
The original message was received at Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:34:25 +0800 from
bb-203-125-82-94.singnet.com.sg [203.125.82.94]----- The following addresses
had permanent fatal errors ----- (e-mail address removed)(reason: 550
Unknown local part mike.sengles in (e-mail address removed))-----
<[email protected]> 550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>...
User unknown <<< 503 Valid RCPT TO <recipient> must precede DATA
<[email protected]>... Deferred: Name server: ms-free.com.: host name
lookup failure

I am inundated with at least 30 of such junk email. Also receive some email
from a Mail Daemon that reports Delivery Failure and lots of junk like
above. Moreover, I cannot send or receive any emails at all.

I tried re installing Outlook XP but still same problem. Pse help me!!
Thank you

rswc90

Have you tried "mailwasher?" I use it and it's great! and there's a free
version (I actually paid for it 'cause It's so wonderful I thought the
developer needed to be supported!)

www.firetrust.com

good luck!

I am getting a flood of funny emails on my Outlook XP that are as follows:

Larry

Jimmy, you may have contracted the Swen Virus, which can cause internet
problems. I had much trouble getting online after being pestered by Swen,
and when I succeeded I couldn't access web sites. I didn't try sending
Email before fixing my problem.

If you can get online go to Symantec.com or McAfee.com to download a virus
removal tool. Symantec's tool removes and then repairs damage to the
Windows registry that Swen has done. McAfee's probably does the same thing.

Hopefully that will fix your problem.

Jimmy Hsu said:
"Wait it out". You mean there's nothing I can do. My email is totally
paralyzed. I cant send out nor receive any email.
Isn't there any patch, utility I can download to kill this virus?

From: Mail Delivery Subsystem

Content:
The original message was received at Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:34:25 +0800 from
bb-203-125-82-94.singnet.com.sg [203.125.82.94]----- The following addresses
had permanent fatal errors ----- (e-mail address removed)(reason: 550
Unknown local part mike.sengles in (e-mail address removed))-----
Transcript of session follows ----- <[email protected]>... Deferred ...
while talking to moongate.btinternet.com.:
DATA<<< 550 Unknown local part mike.sengles in
<[email protected]> 550 5.1.1
User unknown <<< 503 Valid RCPT TO <recipient> must precede DATA
<[email protected]>... Deferred: Name server: ms-free.com.: host name
lookup failure

I am inundated with at least 30 of such junk email. Also receive some email
from a Mail Daemon that reports Delivery Failure and lots of junk like
above. Moreover, I cannot send or receive any emails at all.

I tried re installing Outlook XP but still same problem. Pse help me!!
Thank you

Jimmy Hsu

I am getting a flood of funny emails on my Outlook XP that are as follows:

Patricia Cardoza - [MVP Outlook]

If you're not infected, but just are getting emails from people who are
infected, there's nothing you can do. Some spam programs will help with
this, but not all.

--

I am getting a flood of funny emails on my Outlook XP that are as follows:

Bill Davy

We should all accept the responsibility to keep an up-to-date virus checker
on our machines if we use the Internet. It's all the people who do not who
allow these forest fires to rage.

Jimmy Hsu

Larry,

Thks for the tips. Unfortunately, I dont have Norton System Works. So I
downloaded MailWasher, as suggested by another person on this newsgroup, and
also eScan 2003 and Symantec Swen Virus removal. eScan found 50 viruses on
my PC, including Swen, Trojan, and others. !!! It deleted or rename some of
them.

But I still have the problem. In other words, for some reason, I still
keep getting a flood of those funny emails that I mentioned earlier. As
MailWasher is not a virus detector, it is unable to kill the problem at
source.

Nope, Looks like I need to start from scratch by re installing Windows XP.

By the way, thank you to you and rswc90 for your helpful advice. In
contrast, the Microsoft Outlook MVP Patricia Cardoza said " There's nothing
you can do but wait it out." ....and also "If you're not infected, but just
are getting emails from people who are infected, there's nothing you can do.
Some spam programs will help with this, but not all." Shows how helpful
Microsoft is!!

As MailWasher is not a virus detector, it only
Larry said:
Jimmy, it's Larry again. I had the same problem you did, I think, since I
read and responded to your message. I used Symantec's Swen Virus removal
tool and still the Send/Receive button was useless.

I then ran the removal tool again, but after that I ran Norton SystemWorks'
One Button Checkup, in hopes of fixing any registry problems the removal
tool may have missed. I can now send and receive without a problem.

I hope this helps you, as my first solution, from my own experience, might
not. If you don't have Norton SystemWorks, maybe you have some other way to
solve Windows registry problems. Good luck.

Jimmy Hsu said:
"Wait it out". You mean there's nothing I can do. My email is totally
paralyzed. I cant send out nor receive any email.
Isn't there any patch, utility I can download to kill this virus?

It's not an Outlook problem. It's likely the most recent virus. Someone
you
know or who has your address (or who got your address from a newsgroup)is
sending out the latest virus with your address as the spoofed FROM
address.
There's nothing you can do but wait it out.

--
Patricia Cardoza
Outlook MVP

Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003

***Please post all replies to the newsgroups***
I am getting a flood of funny emails on my Outlook XP that are as
follows:

Baruch

Jimmy -

Jimmy Hsu said:
Larry,

Thks for the tips. Unfortunately, I dont have Norton System Works. So I
downloaded MailWasher, as suggested by another person on this newsgroup, and
also eScan 2003 and Symantec Swen Virus removal. eScan found 50 viruses on
my PC, including Swen, Trojan, and others. !!! It deleted or rename some of
them.

But I still have the problem. In other words, for some reason, I still
keep getting a flood of those funny emails that I mentioned earlier. As
MailWasher is not a virus detector, it is unable to kill the problem at
source.
Even though you had the virus/worm/whatever, removing them won't stop other
systems that are also infected from sending you e-mails. Anyone who has
your e-mail address on their system, whose system also has the virus, can be
sending out this virus using your address. If you have a large number of
e-mail correspondents, or if you post to newsgroups using your plain e-mail
address, you may be getting hit from several different sources, as well...