Help! Error: aspnet_wp.exe (PID: xxxx) stopped unexpectedly

Ramesh Dodamani

Environment:
XP Pro, VS.Net 2003, .Net 1.1.4322 with SP1 & KB Hotfix 886903
P4 2.2GHz, 1 GB RAM

My system was working fine till a few weeks back when I started seeing the
following errors.

"aspnet_wp.exe (PID: xxxx) stopped unexpectedly"
I am seeing the this error currently happen, but unlike the description in
articles Q823409 or 821387, I am not downloading any large file .The error
happens when I start the application. On the web page I see:
---------------
Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.
------------
The above error started happenning after I reinstalled VS.Net 2003, because
I was seeing the error behaviour described in Q321564. Again I am not
creating any user threads as described in this article. I reinstalled VS.Net
after trying and checking various solutions listed on the web elsewhere.

I did not do anything unusual related to .Net framework/VS/ASP.Net etc when
the errors started happening.

How to fix this? Do I need to apply the hotfixes mentioned in the above
articles?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Ramesh

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Ramesh,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
As for the "aspnet_wp.exe stoped .... " error you mentioned, it indicate
some unhandled exceptions occur in the ASP.NET worker process and other
fatal error like worker process unexpected recycle will also be recorded in
eventlog... Have you found any recycle record in eventlog?... Also, how
often does this error occur?
In addition, for IIS5, the ASP.NET application are limited to the aspnet_wp
worker process, so all the asp.net web applications will running in the
same worker process, are there any other application also running on that
server? If mutiple asp.net application are running in the same worker
process, any of them can cause the worker process run into problem if any
certain fatal error occurs....

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Ramesh Dodamani" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Help! Error: aspnet_wp.exe (PID: xxxx) stopped unexpectedly
| Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:57:54 +0530
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Environment:
| XP Pro, VS.Net 2003, .Net 1.1.4322 with SP1 & KB Hotfix 886903
| P4 2.2GHz, 1 GB RAM
|
| My system was working fine till a few weeks back when I started seeing
the
| following errors.
|
| "aspnet_wp.exe (PID: xxxx) stopped unexpectedly"
| I am seeing the this error currently happen, but unlike the description
in
| articles Q823409 or 821387, I am not downloading any large file .The
error
| happens when I start the application. On the web page I see:
| ---------------
| Server Application Unavailable
| The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
| currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web
browser
| to retry your request.
|
| Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
| request failure can be found in the application event log of the web
server.
| Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.
| ------------
| The above error started happenning after I reinstalled VS.Net 2003,
because
| I was seeing the error behaviour described in Q321564. Again I am not
| creating any user threads as described in this article. I reinstalled
VS.Net
| after trying and checking various solutions listed on the web elsewhere.
|
| I did not do anything unusual related to .Net framework/VS/ASP.Net etc
when
| the errors started happening.
|
| How to fix this? Do I need to apply the hotfixes mentioned in the above
| articles?
| Any help is appreciated.
|
| Thanks
| Ramesh

Ramesh Dodamani

Hi Steven,

No, there was no entry in event log related to recycling.
But... the problem is now solved.

The error was due an exception generated by the HashTable.Add() method(in my
code) when a duplicate key was being added. Though the exception was
supposed to have been caught by a try/catch block and logged to a file, the
log file didn't seem to be created.

The code itself is part of a startup class invoked from Global.asax. The
code basically reads some config information from a file. During recent
testing of the application, I had inadvertently added duplicate config
entries, which triggered the hashtable exception.

The worker process was indeed bringing up the debugger selection panel(with
the debug version), but I was ignoring it thinking how could I debug the
worker process. Of course, I used the same panel and VS.Net to find the
source of the problem.

Thanks for your reply.

Ramesh

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Ramesh,

Glad that you've already figured out the problem.

Have a good day!

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Ramesh Dodamani" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Help! Error: aspnet_wp.exe (PID: xxxx) stopped unexpectedly
| Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 23:13:52 +0530
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi Steven,
|
| No, there was no entry in event log related to recycling.
| But... the problem is now solved.
|
| The error was due an exception generated by the HashTable.Add() method(in
my
| code) when a duplicate key was being added. Though the exception was
| supposed to have been caught by a try/catch block and logged to a file,
the
| log file didn't seem to be created.
|
| The code itself is part of a startup class invoked from Global.asax. The
| code basically reads some config information from a file. During recent
| testing of the application, I had inadvertently added duplicate config
| entries, which triggered the hashtable exception.
|
| The worker process was indeed bringing up the debugger selection
panel(with
| the debug version), but I was ignoring it thinking how could I debug the
| worker process. Of course, I used the same panel and VS.Net to find the
| source of the problem.
|
| Thanks for your reply.
|
| Ramesh
|
| | > Hi Ramesh,
| >
| > Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| > As for the "aspnet_wp.exe stoped .... " error you mentioned, it indicate
| > some unhandled exceptions occur in the ASP.NET worker process and other
| > fatal error like worker process unexpected recycle will also be
recorded
| > in
| > eventlog... Have you found any recycle record in eventlog?... Also,
how
| > often does this error occur?
| > In addition, for IIS5, the ASP.NET application are limited to the
| > aspnet_wp
| > worker process, so all the asp.net web applications will running in the
| > same worker process, are there any other application also running on
that
| > server? If mutiple asp.net application are running in the same worker
| > process, any of them can cause the worker process run into problem if
any
| > certain fatal error occurs....
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Ramesh Dodamani" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Help! Error: aspnet_wp.exe (PID: xxxx) stopped unexpectedly
| > | Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:57:54 +0530
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | Environment:
| > | XP Pro, VS.Net 2003, .Net 1.1.4322 with SP1 & KB Hotfix 886903
| > | P4 2.2GHz, 1 GB RAM
| > |
| > | My system was working fine till a few weeks back when I started seeing
| > the
| > | following errors.
| > |
| > | "aspnet_wp.exe (PID: xxxx) stopped unexpectedly"
| > | I am seeing the this error currently happen, but unlike the
description
| > in
| > | articles Q823409 or 821387, I am not downloading any large file .The
| > error
| > | happens when I start the application. On the web page I see:
| > | ---------------
| > | Server Application Unavailable
| > | The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
| > | currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web
| > browser
| > | to retry your request.
| > |
| > | Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this
| > specific
| > | request failure can be found in the application event log of the web
| > server.
| > | Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to
| > occur.
| > | ------------
| > | The above error started happenning after I reinstalled VS.Net 2003,
| > because
| > | I was seeing the error behaviour described in Q321564. Again I am not
| > | creating any user threads as described in this article. I reinstalled
| > VS.Net
| > | after trying and checking various solutions listed on the web
elsewhere.
| > |
| > | I did not do anything unusual related to .Net framework/VS/ASP.Net etc
| > when
| > | the errors started happening.
| > |
| > | How to fix this? Do I need to apply the hotfixes mentioned in the
above
| > | articles?
| > | Any help is appreciated.
| > |