help desperately needed

Reaction score
I don't know if there is any solution for my situation:
Intel P-IV, XP home sp2

some power failure happened while I was operating on the CD drive. Then I can never boot my machine, yes the notorious error: Unmountable_boot_volume happened no matter I run in safe mode/command prompt/network support, normal booting, last good configuration booting.... All leads to a single thing: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

To make it worse, I can not boot from CD-rom, the following is my log:
--- press any key to boot from CD
Setup is loading files............
Setup is starting windows....
STOP: C0000221 unknown hard error
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

What can I do next?????!!!!

And I don't have floppy drive ......

Reaction score
To make this article self complete, here is my solution.
Since I can't boot this machine any way (no floppy, cd-rom boot fail...), the only way I left is to remove that hard drive and connect it to another machine. Amazingly, when I started that other machine xp professional, it automatically fix the dirty volume using chkdsk tool, and gave me a clean, BOOTABLE drive.

Done

texasjin said:
I don't know if there is any solution for my situation:
Intel P-IV, XP home sp2

some power failure happened while I was operating on the CD drive. Then I can never boot my machine, yes the notorious error: Unmountable_boot_volume happened no matter I run in safe mode/command prompt/network support, normal booting, last good configuration booting.... All leads to a single thing: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

To make it worse, I can not boot from CD-rom, the following is my log:
--- press any key to boot from CD
Setup is loading files............
Setup is starting windows....
STOP: C0000221 unknown hard error
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

What can I do next?????!!!!

And I don't have floppy drive ......

Last edited:

Ask a Question