Help - Can't find my Back up Hard Drive!!

Reaction score
Hello all...wondering if soemeone may be able to help me...

I re-installed Windows XP on my laptop a few days ago...before doing so i transferred all my files (music, photo's mostly) to a portable hard drive, hoping to reinstall them onto my new crash free Windows XP. anyway proceeded to re-install Windows XP with no problem, however when i went to plug in my portable HD, i can't seem to access it. the hardware profile shows it is there, and reports no errors, furthermore when i go into Disk Managemnt it is also there, reported as healthy etc but without a Letter. Furthermore in Disk Manangement it is clear that the files are still on there but i just can't get to them...the only option i can bring up on Disk Management is an option to re-format..which i don't wanna do!

The only think I can think of is that my computer is a Dell laptop, bought second hand off a friend...the portable HD came as part of the package...would the fact that when I re-installed windows I registered it in my name make a difference? i.e the portable HD is configured to be accessed only by the original owner???

If anyone can help i'd be very grateful

Ask a Question