HELP! Can't access the internet

Murph

Hey guys, I just installed Vista build 5308 and it's working great so far
except for one thing. I can see the network and other computers but I cant
get on the web.

I checked the IP's and everything looks good, I can even ping the router.
Other PC's connect fine.

DNS works fine as i can ping an outside address (msn.com) and it resolves.

I tried disabling the firewall, and defender, and also disabled IP6 in the
adapter's setting.

I've tried a 3com NIC and an Intel NIC, with the same results (no problem
access local resources but can't get to the outside)

I've tried static and DHCP'ed addresses with no avail.

Anyone have a similar problem or have any ideas for me please?

Murph

nope, not using anything like that. it's a fresh build nothing else.

""Scøtt Lovegrove [ScottIsAFool]""

Zack Whittaker \(R2 Mentor\)

I replied in the other NG, but see if you can switch between using IPv4 and
IPv6 - don't disable both or either, just try switching settings...

--
Zack Whittaker
Microsoft Beta (Windows Server R2 Beta Mentor)

--- Original message follows ---
Murph said:
nope, not using anything like that. it's a fresh build nothing else.

""Scøtt Lovegrove [ScottIsAFool]""
Are you using avast AV? If so, try disabling the web shield.

Scøtt
Live Messenger FAQs - http://wlm.scottisafool.co.uk/

Murph

Thanks for replying Zack, however IPv6 didn't do it for me either.
i think this has something to do with my ISP. I'm able to tracert any
domain or IP with no problem. i see all the router hops between me and the
final site, however it takes a long time. for example tracert microsoft.com
took just under 2 minutes.
I'm using Verizon DSL and it's working great from the 5 other machines on my
network.
Anyone else using Verizon and having a similar problem?

Murph wrote:
[...]

Timur

I had a similiar problem with build 5270. Althou I have cable. Everything
looked good to go, but I could not access the internet. I tried everything
to resolve the problem. My fix was to disconnect my router ......power it
down.... for 5 minutes....reconnect and my internet was good to go. I am now
using build 5308 and have had nearly zero problems.
I said nearly zero problems......the only one so far is the sound stack
problem that a lot of people are having.
Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

P. S. Sorry Murph, didn't mean to send to your email. I hit reply insteat of
reply to group.
sandsman50

Murph wrote:
[...]

Thanks Sandman! I will try this tonight and report back to everyone.

Murph wrote:
[...]

Ditto here. Comcast (cable) is my vendor. I've tried installing on five
different machines - both 32bit and 64bit, eight different NICs, upgrade and
clean install, etc.
I can see the network and the network can see shared files on the Vista
machines. When I try to access any websites on the net, I get the message
"Internet Explorer is unable to display the webpage"

I'm also unable to activate the product :(

Note: DNS does convert the URL to an IP and I am able to ping external sites.

Has anybody figured this out?

Woohoo! I got it to work. I just upgraded the firmware on my router and I
can now access the web.

Murph

good for you! you fixed this issue before i was able to get to you.
These internet access issues seem to be router related (and rebooting it
doesn't do the trick).

i've posted on this board and the .vista.networking board about this very
same issue and found that it's the router. luckly for you an upgrade fixed
your issue, whereas i had to just buy a new router.

no harm done as my wireless needed an upgrade from b to g anyway.

I can see alot of people having this problem moving forward.

Timur

Hey Murph, Just out of interest, what router did you have (brand) that
didn't work, and what router did you get, that did work?
Timur.

Murph

D-Link Mismo was the old, Linksys is the new.