Help a newb!

Reaction score
Hi all, just finished putting together my new system which is detailed below.....

P4 3.06 Northwood 533bus 512 Cache
ASUS P4S8X-MX
2x 512mbCorsair DDR 3200 = 1GB
128MB Pixelview GF 6600GT 128MB DDR3 8x AGP
19" Iiyama TFT 12ms
80GB HDD

Not the best setup in the world, but certainly not he worst either.

Have just Overclocked the graphics card, heres the link to my 3D mark score........

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1273380

quite a poor mark considering the setup.

Aparently my Mobo, only likes AGP cars with 1.5v, was told int he shop it make no difference to use this 6600GT. When i first ran 3D mark on this rig, got a score of 658!

Was getting messages from the Nvidia Sentinel Power indicator, reporting the card was getting insuffiecient power! So to protect my hardware the graphics processor performance was cut to a level that offers safe operation!

It then clicked the troublestarter help, to be informed i'd need to power the 6600GT with a direct link to the systems PSU! Cut a long story short I did, the performance has inproved as you can see, but it still seems about 1/2 of what it should be on a rig like mine.

Also, noticed teh 6600GTs instructions indicates it needs atleast a 300w power PSU supply, I'm running a 250 Micro ATX without any problems. Could this contribute to the poor 3D mark score?

As your reading this you probably know a thing or 2 about PCs, so I would appreciate any and all help in getting a better score.

HELP!!!!!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
first i'd get a PSU with some more guts 350W min, have you plugged a molex connector into the graphics card ?

Reaction score
Thanks Me_2001, but whats a Molex connector? Do you mean the plastic plug PSU connectors, powering the HDD, cd, dvd etc?

Can I ask why you recommend a higher PSU output?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you've got a reasonable amount of power being drawn probably 300W and its always best to have a bit of head room

and yes the 4 pin plug that powers the HD and just about everything is a molex connector

Reaction score
also check what graphic card drivers you are using and update them to the new ones

Ask a Question