Heartbit and DNS

Chris

Hello all,
I've 2 nodes cluster with public network in class 10.X.X.X and heartbit
network with net in class 192.168.0.X. I've disabled heartbit NICs DNS
registration, however they are keeps registering in DDNS. I remember some
article about how to disable this behaviour - anyone can help?

Chris Ciapala
System admin
RZE SA

Please do not reply to email address - its fake.

David Morgan

First question is how are the heartbeat NICs even seing your public
network? Your heartbeat should be on an isolated network. If your heartbeat
NICs are showing up in DNS something is misconfigured. Probably a switch if
you're using a VLAN for heartbeat. We'd never recommend using anything more
than a dumb segregated hub of a crossover cable for HB.

If you're talking about the Public NICs being registered then you want that
since that's only to be available for a backup solution in case the
heartbeat fails. You'll want DNS registration on the public.

David Morgan
Microsoft Corp.

David Morgan

Are the nodes DNS servers? If that's the case then you have to specificaly
tell DNS admin what interfaces to listen on. By default it's all interfaces
which would register your heartbeat interfaces no matter the update
setting. Tell DNS to stop listening to the heartbeat IPS.

David Morgan
Microsoft Corp.

| From: "Chris" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Heartbit and DNS
| Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 04:26:15 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
|
| I have simple cross-over cable on heartbit connection.
| --
| Chris Ciapala
|
| | > First question is how are the heartbeat NICs even seing your public
| > network? Your heartbeat should be on an isolated network. If your
| heartbeat
| > NICs are showing up in DNS something is misconfigured. Probably a switch
| if
| > you're using a VLAN for heartbeat. We'd never recommend using anything
| more
| > than a dumb segregated hub of a crossover cable for HB.
| >
| > If you're talking about the Public NICs being registered then you want
| that
| > since that's only to be available for a backup solution in case the
| > heartbeat fails. You'll want DNS registration on the public.
| >

| > David Morgan
| > Microsoft Corp.

| rights.

cdrom1028

Wow great stuff guys, We are having the exact same issue however we are
also having the clusteres IP show up in DNS with the hostname of the
machine that is currently managing the resources and not the hostname
of the cluster. Is there a way to control this as well?