HDMP Files - Necessary?

Reaction score
A big "Texas Howdy" to everyone here! :) I just joined this forum a few minutes ago after finding it while doing a search for the subject question, and not really finding any concrete results.

I have continually been running out of space on my hard drive and have been deleting files that I am reasonably sure are unnecessary. However, I have some questions about the subject files.

My OS is WINXP, and under Local Settings/Temp, are a number of HDMP files that are huge. I read on another website that in the case of HDMP files for computer games, they were unnecessary and could safely be deleted. However, I am not so sure about these. Some examples are: iexplore.exe.hdmp (27mb), ccApp.exe.hdmp (6mb), OUTLOOK.EXE.hdmp (16mb), and so on.

Would anyone be able to give me a definitive answer (i.e., you're absolutely sure! ;) ) as to whether or not these files can be safely deleted without causing chaos and misery to either my OS or my apps?

Thanks very much in advance for your help!

Scubagrl

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Download and install CCleaner ... it will free up some space and more. ;)

You can safely delete any files in the TEMP folder ... CCleaner will do that for you.

Consider getting a bigger HD, they ain't dear. :thumb:

Welcome to the forum. :)

Reaction score
I did a quick search on .HDMP file it came up with something to do with possibe file dumps after virus infections.

Dont panic I dont knw if its true !!!

Maybe a little more looking into on your behalf wouldnt hurt :)

I've never heard of this file extension!!!

Has anyone else?

Reaction score
HDMP Files

Thanks, muckshifter and TriplexDread - I went ahead and downloaded CCleaner, ran it, and gained a whole lot of space back on my hard drive. That's a great little tool - thanks, muckshifter, for telling me about it. It made it much easier to know what I should and should not delete.

Muchas Gracias!

Scubagrl :D

Ask a Question