HDMI to be replaced with an ethernet cable?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Very interesting to see how this turns out.... :)

According to the HDBaseT press release, LG Electronics, Samsung Electronics, Sony Pictures Entertainment and Valens Semiconductor are working to kill HDMI. They are trying to replace it with a new standard which will transport the video and audio signals through an ethernet cable. The new stardard will be called HDBaseT.

In the past when industry groups create new standards for audio and video delivery they create a proprietary cable to go with it, but with HDBaseT any Cat 5e/6 cable that you might have laying around will get the job done. "The cornerstone of HDBaseT technology is 5Play™, an unrivaled feature-set that converges full uncompressed HD video, audio, 100BaseT Ethernet, high power over cable and various control signals through a single 100m/328ft CAT5e/6 LAN cable. HDBaseT has the bandwidth to support the highest video resolutions such as full HD 1080p as well as 3D and 2Kx4K formats. HDBaseT is the first to provide all-in-one connectivity, making it possible for a single-connector TV to receive power, video/audio, Internet and control signals from the same cable."

The goal of the technology is to allow all of your devices to be networked together which will allow communication and media sharing throughout the entire house. The technology is expected to be available by the second half of 2011. Companies will be able to license the technology this year which means we should see some of devices show up at CES 2011 in January.

http://www.neowin.net/news/hdmi-to-be-replaced-with-an-ethernet-cable

Reaction score
It gives someone an excuse to develope a plethora or different adaptors to do the job

I have seen it before on more simply things like standard TV transmission around homes

Much like a ethernet hub set up to transmit to separate rooms around the home and controllable from each room independently. Very expensive though

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I do not mind progress or better technology but this is insane, the consumers seem to be stuck with redundant technology sooner than they could pay it off. These days the changes are taking place at lightning speed.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can see the longer term benefits of using ethernet, however many people have only just migrated over to HDMI, so there are going to be tons of legacy bits of equipment. Until about a year ago, I was still using scart for everything.

If this comes out in 2011, then that will introduce yet another connector and complicate connecting existing hardware. If this standard has a long term shelf life, then it could be a good thing - I just wish existing standards were used for longer when they are perfectly fine.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That sucks.

So what will we have in 2013? Another change?

Vinyl/8 track/cassette/cassette 8 (double size cassettes)/CD/reel to reel/mini disk/mp3/flac/m4a/super 8 movie projectors/betamax/vhs/dvd/blue ray/super dvd/vga/dvi/scart/hdmi/ethernet/AM/FM/DAB/analogue TV/digital TV/HD TV

One standard - now.

Ask a Question