HD LED Cable

Joe

I have been looking for an HD LED cable to connect my controller card
to my motherboard but it seems like nobody carries them. Does anybody
know where I can find some?

Thanks
joe

Arno Wagner

Previously Joe said:
I have been looking for an HD LED cable to connect my controller card
to my motherboard but it seems like nobody carries them. Does anybody
know where I can find some?

Nowhere. The controller LEDs outputs cannot be connected to the
mainboard, since the mainboard has LED _outpus_, bu no inputs.

Regards,
Arno

Joe

Arno Wagner said:
Nowhere. The controller LEDs outputs cannot be connected to the
mainboard, since the mainboard has LED _outpus_, bu no inputs.

Regards,
Arno

My motherboard has a SCSI HD LED pin that's supposed to connect to the
controller card. So with the right cable I am sure it should work.

Thanks
joe

Rod Speed

My motherboard has a SCSI HD LED pin that's
supposed to connect to the controller card.

Which motherboard exactly ?
So with the right cable I am sure it should work.

Likely almost anything will work, any old
single wire with header pin socket on each end.

Arno Wagner

My motherboard has a SCSI HD LED pin that's supposed to connect to the
controller card. So with the right cable I am sure it should work.

Interesting. I have never seen this before or heard of it.
I apologize for my rash statement. Electronically it is
possible to implement such an imput with little effort.

If it is a single pin, you can possibly just connect it to one
of the controller pins. (You can also fry your mainboard
and controller if you got it wrong.) You will likely not get
such a cable from any computer supplier. You might get one
from a general electronics supplier. However since these
connectors are pretty low quality, they are not widely
used in anything besides consumer-quality computers. For
example my pretty wel sorted electronics components source
here in Switzerland soes not carry them.

My advice: Most computer cases use such connectors (with
different pin numbers) to connect the LEDs, power-switch
and reset-switch to the mainboard. It is possibly easiest
to canibalize an old and not anymore used computer case for
these. If you are lucky, they have connectors on both sides,
otherwise you can combine two cables.

Regards,
Arno

CJT

Joe said:
My motherboard has a SCSI HD LED pin that's supposed to connect to the
controller card. So with the right cable I am sure it should work.

Thanks
joe

While I've never seen a motherboard with such a feature, I suspect the
cables used to connect certain sound cards to CD-ROM drives (and
especially the digital input cables, which have only two positions
rather than four) would work.

Andrew Rossmann

[This followup was posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage and a copy
was sent to the cited author.]

My motherboard has a SCSI HD LED pin that's supposed to connect to the
controller card. So with the right cable I am sure it should work.

Just a simple jumper cable with connectors on both ends. On a computer
at work with a similar setup, I dug some LED connectors from an old
computer. The LED's had been simply plugged into a connector, so I removed
the LED and used the cable as is.

If you have nothing similar, it may be hard to find and a bit expensive
to make yourself. You could make something with two wires and Berg
connectors on each end. Or try to find two cables with 2 (or more) pin
connectors on one ends, cut of an unused end, then tie the two together.

Lil' Dave

Joe said:
Arno Wagner <[email protected]> wrote in message

My motherboard has a SCSI HD LED pin that's supposed to connect to the
controller card. So with the right cable I am sure it should work.

Thanks
joe
LED pinouts connect to an LED, not a motherboard. If your system is like
most, you've used the one LED on your computer's case available for the ide
led pinout from the motherboard's onboard ide.
You can easily make a front LED indicator with a drill, an LED, and the
cable you're speaking of. Mount it on an empty bay cover on the front of
the computer's case. I got the cable from a computer disposed of by small
computer repair store.
My scsi card has two pairs of LED pinouts, one for external, one for
internal. Promise ide cards have a pair of each for each of the two ide.
Dave

Joe

CJT said:
While I've never seen a motherboard with such a feature, I suspect the
cables used to connect certain sound cards to CD-ROM drives (and
especially the digital input cables, which have only two positions
rather than four) would work.

Thanks. That's exactly what worked. I used a SPDIF cable that I think
came with a CDROM I got a while ago. The cable connected the
controller to the motherboard scsi hd LED pin and then the cable from
the case to the onboard ide led stayed the same. So now I can get the
LED to light up by activity from the hd's connected to the controller
and on the motherboard.