Have You Ever Heard of This Before????

J

JW

I bought a used AMD XP2800 CPU and installed it in a perfectly running system that had a XP2200 CPU running Windows XP Pro. There are no issues with the motherboard being able to handle the XP2800.
My first problem was that Windows wouldn't start, which I kinda expected due to the CPU change. After trying everything I could think of to get XP to start, I decided my only alternative at this point was to install XP on another hard drive thinking I would just transfer my settings and folders later from the original hard drive. What I didn't expect is that in the process of trying to install XP, when it gets to the part where it says "Setup is Starting Windows" nothing else happens...the system just stops doing anything.
I tried everything in my power to try to fix or bypass whatever was causing this to happen with no success. After thinking about it some more, I recalled seeing some writing on the CPU with a permanent marker. I think it was a company name and some other numbers/letters that didn't mean anything to me at the time. I have never had windows setup do this before and have been racking my brain to try to figure it out. The only thing I've come up with is that maybe the CPU was somehow specially configured or altered to the point that it stops windows setup like this because something in my system doesn't match whatever it was altered for.
I don't even know if this is possible but I can't think of anything else because there is no other apparent reason for this to be happening. Can anyone please help me? Thanks

G

Unplug pc,locate the CMOS jumper pin on the brf,remove the battery,move
the pin from 1-2 to 2-3 position for .45 seconds or so,then back to
1-2,replace
battery,start pc.You'll need to enter BIOS & set date/time,etc,plus adjust
for
any add-in cards,save and exit.Since xp probably didnt install,you need to
boot
to xp cd,install xp.Also,if you tried to install on 1 hd,it failed,then
tried 2nd hd,
where were you going to seek youre old files from.......

J

JW

I have tried all this...
where were you going to seek youre old files from.........from my original
HDD that I was using.

J

JW

It doesn't look like anyone here can help...thanks anyway.
I bought a used AMD XP2800 CPU and installed it in a perfectly running system that had a XP2200 CPU running Windows XP Pro. There are no issues with the motherboard being able to handle the XP2800.
My first problem was that Windows wouldn't start, which I kinda expected due to the CPU change. After trying everything I could think of to get XP to start, I decided my only alternative at this point was to install XP on another hard drive thinking I would just transfer my settings and folders later from the original hard drive. What I didn't expect is that in the process of trying to install XP, when it gets to the part where it says "Setup is Starting Windows" nothing else happens...the system just stops doing anything.
I tried everything in my power to try to fix or bypass whatever was causing this to happen with no success. After thinking about it some more, I recalled seeing some writing on the CPU with a permanent marker. I think it was a company name and some other numbers/letters that didn't mean anything to me at the time. I have never had windows setup do this before and have been racking my brain to try to figure it out. The only thing I've come up with is that maybe the CPU was somehow specially configured or altered to the point that it stops windows setup like this because something in my system doesn't match whatever it was altered for.
I don't even know if this is possible but I can't think of anything else because there is no other apparent reason for this to be happening. Can anyone please help me? Thanks

M

miss-information

It doesn't look like anyone here can help...thanks anyway.
I bought a used AMD XP2800 CPU and installed it in a perfectly running
system that had a XP2200 CPU running Windows XP Pro. There are no issues
with the motherboard being able to handle the XP2800.
My first problem was that Windows wouldn't start, which I kinda expected due
to the CPU change. After trying everything I could think of to get XP to
start, I decided my only alternative at this point was to install XP on
another hard drive thinking I would just transfer my settings and folders
later from the original hard drive. What I didn't expect is that in the
process of trying to install XP, when it gets to the part where it says
"Setup is Starting Windows" nothing else happens...the system just stops
doing anything.
I tried everything in my power to try to fix or bypass whatever was causing
this to happen with no success. After thinking about it some more, I
recalled seeing some writing on the CPU with a permanent marker. I think it
was a company name and some other numbers/letters that didn't mean anything
to me at the time. I have never had windows setup do this before and have
been racking my brain to try to figure it out. The only thing I've come up
with is that maybe the CPU was somehow specially configured or altered to
the point that it stops windows setup like this because something in my
system doesn't match whatever it was altered for.
I don't even know if this is possible but I can't think of anything else
because there is no other apparent reason for this to be happening. Can
anyone please help me? Thanks

What happens when you reinstall the XP2200 cpu, can you then boot to the
desktop?

mi

Ask a Question