Have I destroyed my motherboard???? Help!!

Reaction score
Moved everything from a very tall hi pc tower case into a Jeantec Media Cube last night. Everything working fine in the PC tower but when I plugged in and switched on in the Media Cube...nothing, but a bad burning smell!!! I may have had the power switch lead on the system panel header the wrong way around.100% certain power is going to the ATX power supply. Will check tonight with volt meter that power is coming out of this however can't see how this could be the problem. How can I check if the motherboard is working ? What else can I do? does it make any difference if the HD led/reset switch and power led leads from the front panel were plugged in the wrong way round on the system panel header?
System: ASRock K10N78 motherboard running Windows XP. Many thanks

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Leads wrong way round would only cause pc not to start not smoke. Huston you have a problem.
user.gif

Reaction score
If your shorting out something on front panel then yes it will smoke. Only small voltage however current is high. Connecting a USB lead round incorrect way for instance can makethe stick glow when you plug it in
unless your Mobo detects it and shuts down instantly before any permanant damage is done

show us a pic

Reaction score
no smoke just bad smell. Thanks for replies. Guess first thing to do is put a volt meter on the output of the PSU and go from there. Other thing, when screwing the motherboard to the chassis, is it supposed to be insulated or is it ok to screw down without insulating washers? How do i check if the motherboard has any life in it? many thanks

Ask a Question