Hard drive about to fail?

Capt. Monty

HP Pavilion Laptop ZT1000 series
WinXP
512 MB RAM
40 GB IDE HD

I ran my HP's eDiagtools and it gave me this info in the report:

"[IDE HDD:(Pri Mst)]
IDE HDD : Failed
SMART error
Error Code: 9640
TEST FAILED

[Defective Components]

IDE hard disk drive SMART error: drive(Pri Mst)
Your IDE hard disk is about to fail.
1. Back up your data.
2. Replace the IDE hard disk.
Contact your service provider for further assistance."

I haven't noticed any problems with copying files or burning CDs/DVDs.
Can anyone recommend a good utility program to run for something like
this? I have Norton Systemworks 2003 (not installed). Laptop HDs are
expensive and I'm not apt to replace this one unless I really have to.

Todd H.

Capt. Monty said:
I haven't noticed any problems with copying files or burning CDs/DVDs.
Can anyone recommend a good utility program to run for something like
this? I have Norton Systemworks 2003 (not installed). Laptop HDs are
expensive and I'm not apt to replace this one unless I really have
to.

Norton Ghost 2003 does what you want and supports DVD burning.
Caveat: just got it, and haven't installed or used it first hand yet.

Capt. Monty

Norton Ghost 2003 does what you want and supports DVD burning.
Caveat: just got it, and haven't installed or used it first hand
yet.

Thank you, I've always seen Ghost and never used it. I will try that.

Arno Wagner

Previously Capt. Monty said:
HP Pavilion Laptop ZT1000 series
WinXP
512 MB RAM
40 GB IDE HD
I ran my HP's eDiagtools and it gave me this info in the report:
"[IDE HDD:(Pri Mst)]
IDE HDD : Failed
SMART error
Error Code: 9640
TEST FAILED
[Defective Components]
IDE hard disk drive SMART error: drive(Pri Mst)
Your IDE hard disk is about to fail.
1. Back up your data.
2. Replace the IDE hard disk.
Contact your service provider for further assistance."
I haven't noticed any problems with copying files or burning CDs/DVDs.

That is because the drive has not failed yet. However it know it is dying
and tells you so.
Can anyone recommend a good utility program to run for something like
this?

A disk copy/backup program?
I have Norton Systemworks 2003 (not installed). Laptop HDs are
expensive and I'm not apt to replace this one unless I really have to.

You have to. The only choice you have is whether you do a backup of
your data before it fails (failure can be mere hours away but it may
also take weeks) or are screwed afterwards.

Arno

CWatters

Capt. Monty said:
(e-mail address removed) (Todd H.) wrote in news:[email protected]:
Thank you, I've always seen Ghost and never used it. I will try that.

Ghost is good but I found the manual really horrible. There seem to be far
too many options when you first start using it. They need a quick start
manual. I've used Ghost ro restore a backup after a HD failure and it all
worked fine. However it's not possible to schedule a backup using Ghost
(according to Norton FAQ) so I've just switched to Powerquest Drive Image
and I much prefer that.

Folkert Rienstra

Arno Wagner said:
Previously Capt. Monty said:
HP Pavilion Laptop ZT1000 series
WinXP
512 MB RAM
40 GB IDE HD
I ran my HP's eDiagtools and it gave me this info in the report:
"[IDE HDD:(Pri Mst)]
IDE HDD : Failed
SMART error
Error Code: 9640
TEST FAILED
[Defective Components]
IDE hard disk drive SMART error: drive(Pri Mst)
Your IDE hard disk is about to fail.
1. Back up your data.
2. Replace the IDE hard disk.
Contact your service provider for further assistance."
I haven't noticed any problems with copying files or burning CDs/DVDs.

That is because the drive has not failed yet.

Yes, it has. It just told you so.
However it know it is dying and tells you so.

No, it does not. It only told you that it failed a test. That's all.
The conclusion came from the diagnostic, not the drive.