Hard disk puzzle.

Reaction score
Hello.

I have a stand alone hard drive it`s by "Seagate" It has capacity of 250GB. It`s connected to my computer via a USB cable. If I leave it connected to the computer the next time I switch it on,the computer that is, nothing happens. I have to unplug the H/D from it`s USB slot and then the computer starts up. So the routine is: Make sure the H/D is unplugged.
Turn on the computer.
Wait for it to boot up fully.
Then plug the H/D into the USB hub.
Can that be right. I thought these H/Ds can be left connected all the time. Is there some thing I need to do to make the computer see it all the time?
Many thanks
historian

Reaction score
historian said:
Hello.

I have a stand alone hard drive it`s by "Seagate" It has capacity of 250GB. It`s connected to my computer via a USB cable. If I leave it connected to the computer the next time I switch it on,the computer that is, nothing happens. I have to unplug the H/D from it`s USB slot and then the computer starts up. So the routine is: Make sure the H/D is unplugged.
Turn on the computer.
Wait for it to boot up fully.
Then plug the H/D into the USB hub.
Can that be right. I thought these H/Ds can be left connected all the time. Is there some thing I need to do to make the computer see it all the time?
Many thanks
historian

Hello

Are you sure that the computer is not trying to boot from that drive? have you set it up in the BIOS to boot from the default drive?

Reaction score
Hello Wizkid.
Ye gods that was quick! Thankyou.

I didn`t know that I had to set it up in BIOS.
Can you tell me how to go about it please but in the simplest of words. I know how to accsess the BIOS so I suppose that`s a start.
historian

Reaction score
historian said:
Hello Wizkid.

Can you tell me how to go about it please but in the simplest of words. I know how to accsess the BIOS so I suppose that`s a start.
historian

Hi,

Yeah always quick to answer me. ;)

Right ok once you are in the BIOS you need to select the devices to boot from it should be the hdd first then the cd drive. In my BIOS there is also an option to select the devices priority make sure you select the right drive. If you cant find it then I'll have a look at where the options are in my BIOS and let you know where they are.

Reaction score
Hi Wizkid.

Double ye gods,even quicker.

I`ve not done what you have suggested yet,I`ll do it tomorrow.
Let me tell you about my BIOS. My computer keeps jumping out of it`s bios setting even though I save the setting. You say that you have your hdd first and the cd second. Well try as I might I cannot get those two to follow on. I press the + and - keys to make the items go up or down but no way can I get them to follow each other. I have it as: hdd,floppy drive then the cd drive. But it seems to work.
So where do I find my stand alone hdd in bios,or do I have to type it in some where?
Many thanks
historian

Reaction score
Hi,

It should just show up as a removable hdd in the BIOS USB hdd. Are you pressing F10 to save the settings? My laptop has the same sort of BIOS as you, I had to press + - to move the devices up and down. What I did on mine was move the bottom device up and then I think the bottom device either ended up at the top or pushed the other devices up . If that does not work then you could post a picture of the BIOS options and then I can take a look.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Not all BIOS' are equal ... I wouldn't bother attempting to change yours.

You are correct in thinking that it should not stop your PC from booting.

USB, however, is a different matter ... does this "drive" have it's own power supply, if not, get a self-powered USB hub and use that. If it do have its own power, we need to look elsewhere.

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have a external drive which I power up first before starting the pc. I think I read somewhere not connected with this problem that USB can take a few seconds to get going when you boot a pc up. Is it possible that the external drive is interfering with the boot up process as it powers up?

user.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
historian said:
Hello Wizkid.

historian
Did you think he got that name by chance LOL....he's always plugged in.....great when your stuck
:nod: Zzzzz

Reaction score
Hello Wizkid.

Sorry to have kept you waiting for a reply.

The stand alone hdd does not show up in the bios under the "BOOT" section. For me to take a picture of my bios options,it would have to be via a camera but then how do I go about uploading it to Pcreview.
In answer to Muckshifter query. The drive has it`s own power supply.
historian

Reaction score
historian said:
Hello Wizkid.

Sorry to have kept you waiting for a reply.

The stand alone hdd does not show up in the bios under the "BOOT" section. For me to take a picture of my bios options,it would have to be via a camera but then how do I go about uploading it to Pcreview.
In answer to Muckshifter query. The drive has it`s own power supply.
historian

Hi

No worries mate, have you had any luck in changing the computer to boot from the computer internal hard drive? To post a picture you can either upload it to Image Shack or post on PC Review under attachments it needs to be a certain size though that way. When you turn your pc on does it just hang at post?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Bios may not do anything to this situation that the USB HDD must unplugged for the PC to boot.

I have some PCs got the same problem and some are OK to boot with the USB HDD device atached.

This seems depends on the mobo design and Bios may not have that option for you to stop the USB HDD from being scanned on every reboot. (Even we set the USB HDD data card to the lowest priority and set the local HDD to the top)

Hope this helps!
Bill

Ask a Question