Handy Guide to buying or upgrading a Notebook (Laptop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Some of us use the Notebook (Laptop) as a primary computer. Over time things start to get slower, what do you do? Change the unit for new? Upgrade it with the right components? The two possibilities are there but does your pocket allow the change? If not, the second option seems to be a better choice.

What if you were a first time buyer? You not only need to know what is available out there in a given budget but also have to make sure it meets your requirement. How do you go about deciding on what to buy? Reading reviews is one option. Getting help from friends and family is another. Forums can also help if you ask the right questions. No matter what options you choose to get information, it just may not be enough.

While I was browsing forums I came across a really good guide on various aspects of Notebook that I felt was not just well written, but, well researched and easy to follow.

If you are buying a new Notebook, or just thinking of upgrading it and are looking for some pointers in the right direction, here are some guides that will help you decide. However if you are neither buying nor upgrading, it certainly won't hurt reading them anyway ;)

:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Good links there Quad ... :thumb:

Thanks.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Glad this post has your stamp of approval ;)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I'll second that, great find! :)

I just need the funds for one now...

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Sexy Bex said:
I'll second that, great find! :)

I just need the funds for one now...

IBM's new Z60T is looking good! :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
" I just need the funds for one now ... "

Hmmm ... Quad, I could build 7 PCs for the price on that IBM. :p

Now that would be some 'crunchie' power. :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
" I just need the funds for one now ... "

Hmmm ... Quad, I could build 7 PCs for the price on that IBM. :p

Now that would be some 'crunchie' power. :D

Does the word "portable" mean anything to you? :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Does the word "portable" mean anything to you? :D
Nope!

Oh wait ... portaloo ... err no, maybe not. :D

Nope ... don't go anywhere to need one. I'll get 7 PCs instead. :thumb:

Reaction score
About to buy a laptop and the guide has been very useful Quad:thumb:
Looking at Dual Core Turion64 as a possibility

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
feckit,

I wish you good luck with your new purchase, may you get it at the very price you wish it would be. :D

Reaction score
Guys I could do with your help. Maybe its a little cheeky to join a forum and dive in with questions on my first post, please forgive me if it is :)

Going to spend a fair bit of money on a laptop (probably about £2K) Ideally I want a good "all rounder" but probably would focus more on gaming and multimedia. Have searched around for a bit and have found a few I like but each has its own drawbacks :-

Alienware Aurora 9700 upgraded to :- quicker hard drive, both graphics cards, more memory, quickest chip - works out at about £2100

BUT it has an AMD chip....

Then we have the shiny new Vaio ...AR31s also about 2000, possible to get it cheaper maybe,good spec, bluray and it's Sony - so surely that counts for something?

BUT its has slow hard drives and isnt possible to upgrade them and also its a lot more money for a lower spec than the alienware.

Then we have the Toshiba (excuse the spelling) qousimo, good spec again, a bit cheaper

BUT its HD-DVD and surely Bluray will be the winner in that market, leaving me with a obsolete drive...

There are more I've looked at, but those are the three I like mose

Am I being nit picky with my comments? Personally I like the alienware he best but the chip concerns me...

Help guys - get those big juicy brains out! What do you guys think?

Thanks

muckshifter

Reaction score
Bobbins

we have loads of people whose initial post is one for assistance ... but can I just point out that post to an Old Thread will not get you noticed by all who may/can help.

I suggest you start a new thread. ;)

welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
PanPan, this is a UK based forum so giving links to sites in Canada is a bit stupid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question