HAL.DLL Missing or Corrupted when booting

Dick

I receive the HAL.DLL missing or corrupted msg when
booting XP. I had installed SP@ and was running for 2
days ok then this morning the computer showed this msg
and now I am stuck.

I booted using the CDROM which worked. However, when I
selected an install it wanted the old system CD for
validation that I was not a crook. That CD is no longer
around!!! How do I reinstall Windows XP upgrade without
an old Windows version CD??

Using an old Dell to get to you right now..

Thanks,
Dick

Jody Atkins

Sorry but with the windows XP upgrade you will need a previous copy of
windows (98 or ME). It has to check the I386 folder on that media to
determine what files to update.

If you find your media you could use this article to fix your issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320252

Best Regards,
Jody Atkins
Microsoft Online Support Engineer
from your issue.
Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help.