Guide to setting up RRAS

Chewy509

Hi everyone,

Anyone know of a really good guide on how-to connect 2 LANs via ISDN
dial-up? So that LAN 1 is on 192.168.0.x and LAN 2 is on 192.168.1.x.
Both ends will have Win2K Svrs. I would normally use ISDN routers, but
apparently these don't exist anymore (except for Cisco which is out of
the price range), so I've had to resort to ISDN modems, and using
RRAS.

I've attempted to set this up, and it works, sort of... From each RRAS
server I can ping the other server, and from one LAN can ping the
other, but not the other way? (192.168.1.x can ping 192.168.0.x
successfully, but 192.168.0.x can't ping 192.168.1.x except for the
RRAS server). I know this sounds like NAT, but I've made sure that NAT
is disabled... Also our ICS Router has a static route setup to point
all 192.168.1.x requests to the local 192.168.0.x RRAS server...

But anyway, a couple of guides would be good...

Chewy509

Chewy509 wrote in message...
Hi everyone,

Anyone know of a really good guide on how-to connect 2 LANs via ISDN
dial-up?
<snip>

Well, after a few hours of searching found some stuff at Technet...
And have it working mostly, (all packets are routed correctly). I do
however have one problem... the Internal Interface of the caller, is
being set to 169.x.x.x, and this address is being registered in the
DNS server as the IP address of the caller server, so when I try and
ping the server (from anyway), I get 169.x.x.x instead of the
192.168.1.x address. Anyone know a fix for this, or have I set it up
wrong?

Here is what I have:
LAN 1 - 192.168.0.x/24, answering RRAS server is 192.168.0.1, and has
a static pool of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2. (only 2 IPs available).
LAN 2 - 192.168.1.x/24, RRAS server (calling server) is 192.168.1.11.
Static routes are setup accordingly, on both servers. I have not
enabled RAS, but only Routing and demand-dial, and am using a one way
initiated connection.

Now when I connect x.1.1 goes to the internal interface on the
answering server (LAN 1), and x.1.2 goes to the caller interface (the
DoD interface at LAN 2). When the connection is made, the LAN2 server
registers it's name in DNS (on LAN1) with the internal interface IP of
169.x.x.x, not of either the DoD or LAN interface... So how can I fix
this...

Chetan Raghavendra [MSFT]

Hi

Check out "Setting up Demand-Dial Routing" in RRAS management console help
(Launch rrasmgmt.msc and press F1). This has good information about:
1. On demand or Persistent connections
2. One way or two-way initiated connections

Thanks
Chetan