Guest account File Association Incorrect

G

oooops. I managed to assign an incorrect file association in the Guest Account. Tools~Options~File Types won't let me change them. Search~Find~Right Click~Opens With Doesn't work (opens with original assigned program). Admin account is correct. Unfortunatly the program opens when windows starts so it's close, close,close etc. Doing a regedit from admin account and granting permission to change the values ect., (in regedit) to Guest account didn't help either. Anymore ideas?

R

Ramesh [MVP]

More information needed. Try to provide as much details as possible. Which file association? What happened when you tried regedit from that profile? Have you tried "Load Hive" ntuser.dat method from Admin account?

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

AumHa VSOP: http://www.aumha.org

oooops. I managed to assign an incorrect file association in the Guest Account. Tools~Options~File Types won't let me change them. Search~Find~Right Click~Opens With Doesn't work (opens with original assigned program). Admin account is correct. Unfortunatly the program opens when windows starts so it's close, close,close etc. Doing a regedit from admin account and granting permission to change the values ect., (in regedit) to Guest account didn't help either. Anymore ideas?

G

:( too many pop up blockers.
Windows XP sp1 all current updates applied.
File extension is .dtb
Should be assingned to SpywareBlaster Guard but are assigned to SpywareBlaster. I believe these are data files with an unexpected (by me) extension.
Regedit from guest allowed me to change to sgmain (where they should be) however they still opened SBlaster vs SGuard(sgmain) on boot up.
No error messages so havent tried hive.
Total removal of SGuard (and these 5 files with this extension) and reinstall is what I'm thinking (now that I am thinking).
Thanks for the help.

Ask a Question