Group policy restrictions remain after leaving domain

Gary Hunter

A system using Win XP Pro SP1 has been moved from the building and
removed from the domainand in to a workgroup. A user loging in as a
local administrator reports that a password policy requiring long and
complex policies remains and that using control panel->admin
tools->local security policy->acount policies->password policy he can
display the relevant policies including min password length, require
complex passwsords but the fields to change these values are grayed
out. Any ideas as to how I can resolve this?

Feng Mao

Hi Gary,

Thank you for posting!

This issue is because the computer used to be part of a Domain environment
which has the Group Policy to prevent clients to modify such settings.

As I know, the Local Security Settings is stored in
%systemroot%\security\Database\secedit.sdb. So, there is an unofficial way
to reset this.

1. Find another computer install Windows XP. You can change the settings to
what you want.
2. Rename secedit.sdb to secedit.bak in %systemroot%\security\Database
3. Copy secedit.sdb from the good computer.
4. Restart the computer

I hope that the above suggestion will be helpful.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support