Graphics measurements

Roger Johansson

I have been looking for a good ruler for measuring in pictures and on
screen in general, but most free rulers cannot even be rotated freely.

This program solves this problem and does a lot more.

http://www.cthing.com/Meazure.asp

Features:

* Measure objects on the screen such as images, windows and icons
* Capture arbitrary portions of the screen
* Magnify the screen up to 32X magnification
* Read the color of a screen pixel in RGB, hex RGB, CMY, CMYK, HSL,
YCbCr, YIQ
* Display rulers anywhere on the screen
* Display a grid overlay on the screen with adjustable grid spacing
* Measure using a number of units including pixels, points, twips,
centimeters, or user-defined
* Record measurements to an XML file for later playback or external
processing
* Calibrate screen resolution to provide accurate measurements
* Save and restore measurement tool positions using Profiles
* Use predefined Profiles for common screen and video sizes such as
NTSC and PAL
* Configure the user interface to show only the information you
need
* Many more features. See the detailed context-sensitive help

Requirements

* Pentium® 200 MHz processor or higher
* Windows® 98 / ME / NT 4 / 2000 / XP

I tested most of the functions and they work very well.

Tried the "copy a part of screen", selected by the rectangle or circle
function, to clipboard.

Pasted from clipboard into pixia, works well.

This is definitely a program I will use a lot.

ms

Roger said:
I have been looking for a good ruler for measuring in pictures and on
screen in general, but most free rulers cannot even be rotated freely.

This program solves this problem and does a lot more.

http://www.cthing.com/Meazure.asp

3.5 MB

This does have lots of features, but I had expected a smaller executable.

Mike Sa

Roger Johansson

ms said:
Roger Johansson wrote:
3.5 MB
This does have lots of features, but I had expected a smaller executable.

Yes, it is not very small, but that doesn't matter for me, I have
plenty of empty gigabytes on my hard disks. And the download time is
not too long even if you are on a phone modem.

I can add that it is movable after installing it. I moved its folder
and ran regseeker to delete all entries for nonexisting exe files, and
then ran it from its new place and it works fine.

So it can be treated as a no-install program, just like Opera. It has
what it needs inside its own folder structure, and does not rely on the
registry. After the initial installation/unpacking you can move it as
you like, probably to other computers too.

Susan Bugher

Roger said:
I have been looking for a good ruler for measuring in pictures and on
screen in general, but most free rulers cannot even be rotated freely.
This program solves this problem and does a lot more.

http://www.cthing.com/Meazure.asp

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the review of Meazure. Can you comment of any of the other
apps listed on the ACF pages?

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php#6.13Measure

Cool Ruler
GCS Rulers (was Graphic Rulers)
JR Screen Ruler
MB-Ruler (no install)
Meazure
OptiGraph
Protractor2 (was Graphics Protractor)
Screen Calipers
Square

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Roger Johansson

Susan said:
Thanks for the review of Meazure. Can you comment of any of the other
apps listed on the ACF pages?

Cool Ruler
GCS Rulers (was Graphic Rulers)
JR Screen Ruler
MB-Ruler (no install)
Meazure
OptiGraph
Protractor2 (was Graphics Protractor)
Screen Calipers
Square

Sorry. Maybe I would have done it if it had been one or two, in spite
of my medical condition.

But we welcome a young energic replacement to take up the challenge.

Susan Bugher

Roger said:
Susan Bugher wrote:

Sorry. Maybe I would have done it if it had been one or two, in spite
of my medical condition.

You said you'd been looking so I thought you might have made some notes
on other apps. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
But we welcome a young energic replacement to take up the challenge.

Yes indeed! ;) IMO MB-Ruler looks especially interesting. . .

Program: MB-Ruler
Author: (Markus Bader)
Install: (n.i.)
Ware: (Freeware)
http://www.markus-bader.de/MB-Ruler/

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Roger Johansson

Susan said:

Have tried this for half an hour now, lots of settings to go through.
Starts up in german, could take a few seconds to find the language
setting and change it to english if you don't understand german.

This has similar, and different, features, more settings.

Somebody who needs a good ruler should try both of them, which you
choose is a matter of taste and more detailed needs. Both are very good
and have lots of extra features.

MB-ruler has cartesian coordinates, Meazure looks visually more stable
in use.

I think I prefer Meazure after a short look at both, but will compare
with MBruler in the future. Both are keepers, for some tasks one is
better, for some the other.

Ross

Have tried this for half an hour now, lots of settings to go through.
Starts up in german, could take a few seconds to find the language
setting and change it to english if you don't understand german.

This has similar, and different, features, more settings.

Somebody who needs a good ruler should try both of them, which you
choose is a matter of taste and more detailed needs. Both are very good
and have lots of extra features.

MB-ruler has cartesian coordinates, Meazure looks visually more stable
in use.

I think I prefer Meazure after a short look at both, but will compare
with MBruler in the future. Both are keepers, for some tasks one is
better, for some the other.

I use Scale 2.0 - runs on Win95 and up, requires VB4 runtime.
I got it from http://www.conxion.com.py/~sgrillo in 2001.
From the Tool bar you can open the Rule, to measure horizontal and
vertical distances in 7 different units (pixels, twips, inches,
centimeters, himetrics, characters and points); the Magnifier to
enlarge, up to 30 times, any image or text in the screen (you can make
precise measurement and color pick with this tool ); the Angle
Measurement Tool, to measures angles formed by lines in the screen, in
degrees and radians; the Color Mixer/Picker to mix and pick colors
anywhere in the screen and get the respective codes in 6 systems
(RGB, VB, HTM, CMY, CMYK and HSL) and a small Calculator with some
useful features.

Do the other programs measure angles?

Ross

Roger Johansson

Ross said:
I use Scale 2.0 - runs on Win95 and up, requires VB4 runtime.
I got it from http://www.conxion.com.py/~sgrillo in 2001.

non-working url
From the Tool bar you can open the Rule, to measure horizontal and
vertical distances in 7 different units (pixels, twips, inches,

Can it measure in other directions than horizontal and vertical, can
you rotate it freely to any direction?
Do the other programs measure angles?

Yes. With the exception of the calculator these two programs can do all
you wrote about, and have several more features.

Susan Bugher

Roger said:
Ross wrote:
non-working url

I knew there was one more program *somewhere* on the ACF Graphics page
(I'm going to move this app to the "measure" subcategory).

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php#2468

Program: Scale 2.0
Author: (Ricardo Sgrillo)
Install: (n.r.)
Ware: (Freeware)
http://paginas.terra.com.br/informatica/sgrillo/

http://paginas.terra.com.br/informatica/sgrillo/scale.htm
http://paginas.terra.com.br/informatica/sgrillo/setup.zip
(135 KB) Windows 95 or above

<q>
This small freeware presents some unusual tools to help in the design
of forms, web pages, presentations and other visual materials. The main
form is a Tool Bar, presented above, that you can position in a corner
of the screen for easy use of the tools. The Tool Bar can be placed as
an Icon in the system tray (13K) and, as all the other tools, can be
moved freely around the screen and minimized to the task bar.

From the Tool bar you can open the Rule, to measure horizontal and
vertical distances in 7 different units (pixels, twips, inches,
centimeters, himetrics, characters and points); the Magnifier to
enlarge, up to 30 times, any image or text in the screen (you can make
precise measurement and color pick with this tool ); the Angle
Measurement Tool, to measures angles formed by lines in the screen, in
degrees and radians; the Color Mixer/Picker to mix and pick colors and
get the respective codes in 6 systems (RGB, VB, HTM, CMY, CMYK and HSL)
and a small Calculator with some useful features.
</q>

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Roger said:
Susan Bugher wrote:

I think I prefer Meazure after a short look at both, but will compare
with MBruler in the future. Both are keepers, for some tasks one is
better, for some the other.

Thanks for the review Roger.

Susan
--