Graphics Card Adapter Problems

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new graphics card (Sapphire 9250 by ATI) and althoguh being my first time to tinker with my PC, seemed to isntall the card correctly.

I Could not find a graphics card to replace, that meaning there was no card in the slot, so I assumed this meant my computer currently ran off a motherboard supported device.

Prior to this installing of the card I had uninstalled the one my computer used to run from (SG3 UniChrome)

When I turned on the computer the resolution seemed to have shaped up, and it prompted an isntall, I used the CD wth the card to install it in palce and install the drivers.

Then I ran the dxdiag programm, and my computer is still using the Unichrome as the adaptor apparently. I tried plugging the visual cable into my card's slot, but no display comes up!

I've tried Device Manager to disable the old card to prioritise my new one, but this causes the computer to run in very low resolutuon, ignoring the new card!

It's strange because the card is detected by my computer, as it prompoted an isstall ,but it seems that it is not actually being used. Is it possible I put it in the wrong slot? Would thiss till prompt an install?

I want to use the new card and get rid of the old adapter, any ideas on how to do this?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You might need to go into the bios and set the graphics to run from the AGP slot instead of the onboard graphics . Hit delete or f8 to get into bios when you switch on the pc , should be fairly obvious what to set and then save changes and exit . Mighty be the solution for you .
user.gif

Reaction score
Hmm It didn't seem to work, i went onto the BIOS (the blue screen) and eventually found someone titled "AGP Master Read" and "AGP Master Write" I activated these but still nothing, did I change the right settings?

Reaction score
That's the one.
Now I'm thinking the reddish one above the two pale PCI ports is the AGP one, but if I slot my card there, the external plate upon which the visual plug is on doesn't seem to fit correctly, is this the right slot? or can i continue with my current setup? (the card is plugged into one of the clear PCI slots)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
As its an AGP card it needs to go in the AGP slot (the red one) - when you say it doesn't fit correctly, what exactly do you mean?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
MetDBlck said:
That's the one.
Now I'm thinking the reddish one above the two pale PCI ports is the AGP one, but if I slot my card there, the external plate upon which the visual plug is on doesn't seem to fit correctly, is this the right slot? or can i continue with my current setup? (the card is plugged into one of the clear PCI slots)
oops, wrong slot.

You have an AGP card, it should say so on the box, no ? that should go in the AGP slot, the red one ... there should be no need to enter the BIOS as that MB should auto-detect the card.

Is this your card ?

http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/products/graphics_specifications.php?gpid=59

http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/products/graphics_gallery.php?gpid=59

:user:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Who made the PC ???

any brand name on the case ??

Reaction score
Okay shortly I will try to red slot...

It's made by Philips, iQon.

When i say doesn't fit, to me it doesn't look like the visual display plug that the monitor is plugged into on the card will be far enoguh expsoed, maybe I could be wrong?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
As long as the cards external plate slots and secures onto the case correctly it should be fine.

Reaction score
I clicked on the image, it is the right card but mine is larger than the pciture and is black in colour.

Reaction score
I'm just worried the card isn't compatible with my PC, but then again, if I put it in the PCI slot and the install worked, surely it is? It would be strange for it to work in the PCI slot but not the AGP where it is intended...

Detection of the card seems to be not the main problem, but making it the primary visual adapter over the internal SG3 (I looked at my motherboard and the Unichrome SG3 is indeed built in)

I'll try reslotting the stuff shortly just hovering a little bit lnoger in case any more pearls of wisdom arise!

By the way thank you so far for stopping to help me =)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The best way to see is to put it in the AGP slot and try ;)

Oh - and make sure you uninstall the ATi drivers first :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
PLEASE ... look at the box/manual/instructions, what "interface" type does it say it is ?

They do make PCI and AGP 9250 cards ... you seem to have a PCI, and we were assuming you have an AGP ... neither one should fit in the others slot.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I was assuming AGP too Mucks - but looking HERE it would appear the black card is indeed a PCI.

muckshifter

Reaction score
bugger ...

Adywebb said:
I was assuming AGP too Mucks - but looking HERE it would appear the black card is indeed a PCI.
Hmmm, may as well go in the bin then. :rolleyes:

MetDBlck, what you "needed" was an AGP card, not PCI ... time for a cup of coffee. ;)

Reaction score
Gah ><

I just tried, and no luck, hmmm, I did try to run the BIOS to prioritise the PCI over AGP for graphics but then the card runs in low res, looks like it's a new card for me then :(

Ask a Question