Graphic cards help!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm John and a complete newbie here, I currently have a Geforce MX440 in my PC at home and was thinking of upgrading to a Radeon 9800 Pro (I love the Thief series of games but the MX440 chipset isn't supported on the latest Thief game), so I have a couple of questions:

1 - Is the 9800 Pro a good enough card - i.e. is it going to last me a while?

2- How easy is it to actually upgrade - is it just a matter of taking one out, inserting the new one, booting up and running the drivers?

Thanks for any help/advice you guys/girls can give me.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It is a good card.

It will run the Thief series OK.

It's already outdated but will run all games currently available.

Download latest Radeon Drivers (Catalyst V4.9 atm I believe). Unzip to a folder if required. (Either from ATI's site or www.guru3d.com)

First, uninstall all Nvidia drivers, including any folders left in Program Files and if you can be bothered, any registry entries left over.

Shut your computer down, remove mains plug.

Swap out Nvidia card for 9800Pro. Start up computer again.

Ignore prompts to install new hardware.

Browse to folder where Catalyst drivers are and install. Reboot twice.

Adjust resolution and refresh rate.

Done.

Reaction score
hello JayeL welcome to heaven:)

The Radeon 9800 is on everyones lips at the minute. the next grahpics card i get will be this very one.
looks to be a very good graphics card.

u probably already know but check out www.kelkoo.com to compare online PRICES.

good luck.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well i really need to know the rest of the PC spec to tell you whether or not your computer will handle todays games at resonable settings. The Radeon 9800pro is the best value for money graphics card ever in my opinion. I have one, and so does alot of the PC Reveiw forums, and ive reconmmended them left, right and centre. But if your computer spec is below par, it will hold the radeon back alot.

To play todays games you should have at least 512mb ram and a 2Ghz processor(or equivelant). Games like Doom 3, Far Cry and future games like Quake 4, and Half Life 2 will like as much memory as possible.

But the Radeon is a great, infact fantastic, graphics card. I doubt you will find cheaper than the one GONNA-GET-U recommended, £125 delivered is incredible.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far guys - it is much appreciated.

Reefsmoka, I am currently running a 2.66GHz PC with 512Mb(Thinking of upgrading though) Ram and Windows XP as an operating system, so hopefully it can take whatever most games nowadays throw at it.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
That spec paired with a 9800pro should churn up virtually any game you throw at it. Its a good spec. The memory upgrade would help alot though ;).Good luck man, and have fun when its done!

Reaction score
Hey,

The nvidia 6800 ultra and GT are better cards than the radeon right? Just a lot more expensive??

Also, floppy, why did you suggest taking the mains plug out? Surely you are better to leave it in to earth the case?!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
bodhi said:
Hey,

The nvidia 6800 ultra and GT are better cards than the radeon right? Just a lot more expensive??
Yep.

Also, floppy, why did you suggest taking the mains plug out? Surely you are better to leave it in to earth the case?!
Because if the PSU doesn't have a switch parts of the motherboard will still be live when a card is being swapped.

As for the earthing problem - there isn't one. The graphics card is not a device prone to damage by static and any components that are sensitive will not/should not be touched.

Anyway, imo the static problem is greatly exagerrated. I've been handling IC's for years now and have never lost a one to static electricity.

Of course, if you're walking round in plastic or synthetic souled shoes on a nylon carpet, best get yourself a wrist strap and take all precautions ;)

Reaction score
Of course, if you're walking round in plastic or synthetic souled shoes on a nylon carpet, best get yourself a wrist strap and take all precautions
Reminds me of my holiday in New York City back in February of this year...

Walking around in the Best Western and the Embassy Suites hotels we stayed at was lethal! Seriously, any hand rails or door handles or people you touched POP you got one hell of a shock. It was horrible!

in BOTH of our hotels too!!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys, now for the hard bit I need senior management approval
(i.e. the wife) for this card.

Ask a Question