Grant user Logon as a service right

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Security' started by Guest, Nov 29, 2003.

    How do I grant a local user the "logon as a service" right programmatically? I have an unattended install of MSDE and am trying to configure the SqlAgent service to run under a different account than LocalSystem... I create a user during the install and re-configure the SqlAgent service to use the new user, but the logon fails because the user doesn't have the Log on as a service right.

    Guest, Nov 29, 2003

    Marina Roos Guest

    Have a look at the local securitypolicy. Drill down to user rights. There
    you can add this user to the logon as service.

    Marina

    Marina Roos, Nov 30, 2003

    I understand how to do it via the local security policy and the snap-in... I'm really trying to do it programmatically as part of my install so end users don't need to perform the task manually. I've read something about templates, but really have no idea how to create one. Is there any good documentation on this and can I import only the specific entries I want, or do I have to import an entire policy?

    Guest, Nov 30, 2003
  4. You can create a new/custom template that has only one entry such as it sounds you
    need. This can be done with the mmc security templates snapin. Security templates are
    incremental. You could then use the secedit command to implement the template in a
    script. --- Steve

    http://www.brienposey.com/kb/working_with_windows_2000_security_templates,_part_1.asp

    Steven L Umbach, Nov 30, 2003
  5. Take a look at this. It may prove helpful.

    279664 How to Set Logon User Rights with the Ntrights.exe Utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279664

    > From: =?Utf-8?B?Smlt?= <>

    <h0ryb.15368$>

    Bobby McMillan [MSFT], Dec 1, 2003

    Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for

    Guest, Dec 5, 2003