GPO wont apply

T

t

I am kind of new in this thing, I have created GPO called test has few settings under user configuration, under security filtering it applies to test user only. no WMI filter, status enabled, under delegation it shows for test user READ (FROM SECURITY FILTERING).

I use another PC part of the domain, Login using test user, but non of the setting are working, am I missing something?

O

Oli Restorick [MVP]

At which OU is the GPO linked? Have you given enough time for the GPO to replicate to all DCs?

If you have Windows XP, you can use the gpresult command at the client to see if the policy is coming through.

Also, check your event logs. DNS misconfigurations at the client can cause policies not to apply.

Hope this helps

Oli
I am kind of new in this thing, I have created GPO called test has few settings under user configuration, under security filtering it applies to test user only. no WMI filter, status enabled, under delegation it shows for test user READ (FROM SECURITY FILTERING).

I use another PC part of the domain, Login using test user, but non of the setting are working, am I missing something?

T

t

thanks oil,
this is very helpful, another question.
GPO is not linked to any OU, should it be? can't apply GPO to individual user or computer?
At which OU is the GPO linked? Have you given enough time for the GPO to replicate to all DCs?

If you have Windows XP, you can use the gpresult command at the client to see if the policy is coming through.

Also, check your event logs. DNS misconfigurations at the client can cause policies not to apply.

Hope this helps

Oli

O

Oli Restorick [MVP]

Hi t

If you don't link the GPO anywhere, it will do nothing, as you've discovered.

You can only link GPOs to OUs. If you want to apply it to a single computer or user, you have to apply it to an OU containing the user or computer object and use security filtering to restrict application to only the objects you want to apply it to.

It is not normal practice to apply to a single user or computer, though. It's more normal to create groups and place the user or computer objects into the group (even if you have a group containing only one object).

Regards

Oli (not oil)

thanks oil,
this is very helpful, another question.
GPO is not linked to any OU, should it be? can't apply GPO to individual user or computer?

Hope this helps

Oli

Ask a Question