GPO default Update time

Bruce

I just linked a new GPO to an OU. How long does it take for the policy to go
into effect for the users inside that OU? 90 minutes? 12 hours? I've heard a
variety of numbers. Thanks

Bruce

TheSingingCat

It seems upwards of 10 - 12 hours for for us, I was just inquiring about
this as well -- as I was under the impression it occured within 90 - 120min.

Bruce

Thank you

TheSingingCat said:
It seems upwards of 10 - 12 hours for for us, I was just inquiring about
this as well -- as I was under the impression it occured within 90 -
120min.

Jerold Schulman

I just linked a new GPO to an OU. How long does it take for the policy to go
into effect for the users inside that OU? 90 minutes? 12 hours? I've heard a
variety of numbers. Thanks

Bruce
See tip 2184 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com for the various defaults AND how to adjust them.

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

TheSingingCat

Yah that tip references w2k machines and for us at least, it seems to have
changed for Xp boxes. We're just using the default refresh intervals on our
DCs and clients and it definitely takes a lot longer than 90min +/- 30
before the policy is applied. Not a huge deal, most of the policy managed
bit isn't so critical it has to be pushed out immediately .

Looking at a client App log I see:
11/02/04 6:00PM SceCli 1704 and the next one isn't until:
11/03/04 11:36AM SceCli 1704

/shrug

Gabe Knuth

Here is part of the "Explain" tab for GP Refresh Interval on a 2003 AD
server:

"Specifies how often Group Policy for computers is updated while the
computer is in use (in the background). This setting specifies a background
update rate only for Group Policies in the Computer Configuration folder.

In addition to background updates, Group Policy for the computer is always
updated when the system starts.

By default, computer Group Policy is updated in the background every 90
minutes, with a random offset of 0 to 30 minutes.

You can specify an update rate from 0 to 64,800 minutes (45 days). If you
select 0 minutes, the computer tries to update Group Policy every 7 seconds.
However, because updates might interfere with users' work and increase
network traffic, very short update intervals are not appropriate for most
installations.

If you disable this setting, Group Policy is updated every 90 minutes (the
default). To specify that Group Policy should never be updated while the
computer is in use, select the "Turn off background refresh of Group Policy"
policy."

So, in XP, the default is 90 mins. You can change this by following this
article:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/gpe_setrefresh.mspx

Gabe

TheSingingCat said:
Yah that tip references w2k machines and for us at least, it seems to have
changed for Xp boxes. We're just using the default refresh intervals on our
DCs and clients and it definitely takes a lot longer than 90min +/- 30
before the policy is applied. Not a huge deal, most of the policy managed
bit isn't so critical it has to be pushed out immediately .

Looking at a client App log I see:
11/02/04 6:00PM SceCli 1704 and the next one isn't until:
11/03/04 11:36AM SceCli 1704

/shrug

Gabe Knuth

And, you can always run GPUpdate.exe on the boxes (as admin) to update the
policy right away.

TheSingingCat said:
Yah that tip references w2k machines and for us at least, it seems to have
changed for Xp boxes. We're just using the default refresh intervals on our
DCs and clients and it definitely takes a lot longer than 90min +/- 30
before the policy is applied. Not a huge deal, most of the policy managed
bit isn't so critical it has to be pushed out immediately .

Looking at a client App log I see:
11/02/04 6:00PM SceCli 1704 and the next one isn't until:
11/03/04 11:36AM SceCli 1704

/shrug

Bruce

Thanks for all you info everyone.

You'll have to forgive me as I am new to GP. I must not have something setup
properly. I linked the GP to an OU around 3pm yesterday afternoon and I can
not get the policy to take effect for any groups inside that OU. I have run
gpupdate at a couple of the client PC's while they are logged in and then I
have them log back in and no changes. Any ideas what could possibly be the
issue here?

I have a 2000 Domain server which I am using GPMC on my XP Pro desktop to
manage GP's.

Bruce