GPMC 2000 Domain

joe1983

Have a weird problem guys.

I have a 2000 domain with 8 DC's all working fine.

added an addtionally address to the proxy bypass within a GPO that I have.

Works fine on all servers except 1, therefore sometimes users do not pickup
the change.

Even when I use GPMC to make make the specfic change to the problematic
server it does not retain the setting. Any ideas??

Everything else works fine e.g user creations password reset etc.

greatful for any guidence.

Joe

Morgan che

Hi,

Thanks for using this newsgroup.

From your description, I understand you have created Group Policy defining
proxy and I found one of your servers does not apply this policy. You
concern how to make this policy affect for this problematic server. If I
misunderstood, please let me know.

<Everything else works fine e.g user creations password reset etc.>

Do you mean other group policy setting works fine on this problematic
server except proxy?

If so, to make it effect, I suggest you enable 'policy mode' for IE related
policies or update IE GPs on DC to make client reapply these policies to
test the result. For the reason, please see my analysis below:

Analysis:
==========

The Internet Explorer Maintenance settings can be set in two modes: policy
mode (to enable by Computer Configuration\Administrative
Templates\System\Group Policy\Internet Explorer Maintenance policy
processing) or preference mode(to enable by right-clicking Internet
Explorer Maintenance).

Like all registry-based Group Policy settings, Internet Explorer
Maintenance policy mode settings reapply only when the GPO changes. Unlike
most registry-based Group Policy settings, configuring an Internet Explorer
Maintenance setting does not prevent the user from changing that setting.

The policy mode is enforced and automatically resets any settings users
might change (if they have the appropriate permissions) when Group Policy
is applied.

Preference mode sets initial default values that the user can change,
subject to other Group Policy settings that affect the user. The preference
settings are only applied again when the administrator makes changes to the
preference settings. To allow users to change these preferences, they must
be able to access Internet Options on the Tools menu. We allow users access
by configuring settings in the Group Policy Object Editor under Computer
(or User) Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows
Components\Internet Explorer.

Please note we cannot use policy and preference modes together in a single
GPO. For the more information about it, please refer to:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/6dcc3ce3-667d-44fb-97
2b-799ac1f26bcd1033.mspx?mfr=true

Please test the result. If anything is unclear, please feel free to post
back.

Thanks.

Sincerely
Morgan Che
Microsoft Online Support

--->From: "joe1983" <[email protected]>
--->Subject: GPMC 2000 Domain
--->Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:54:34 +0100
--->Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
--->
--->Have a weird problem guys.
--->
[...]

Thanks you very much for getting back to me.

Ok i will check that out when I'm back in.

Incase its not that here is a bit more detail of what is happening, as I
have performed a couple of tests.

Problem....... added some additional entries to the proxy bypass list. these
replicated around to all but one of the servers. However the timestamp of
last modified did change.

Test.... enabled a random setting is the same GPO to test if it replicates.
it did.

I've never heard of what your saying below so I don't know if that's the
case, but I will definitely check it out.

Morgan che

Hi,

I am wirting to see how evertything is going?

Have this issue been sovled or you need further assistance? please feel
free to let me know.

Sincerely
Morgan Che
Microsoft Online Support

--->From: "joe1983" <[email protected]>
--->Subject: Re: GPMC 2000 Domain
--->Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 09:46:40 +0100
--->Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
--->have performed a couple of tests.
--->
--->Problem....... added some additional entries to the proxy bypass list.
these
--->replicated around to all but one of the servers. However the timestamp
of
--->last modified did change.
--->
--->Test.... enabled a random setting is the same GPO to test if it
replicates.
--->it did.
--->
--->I've never heard of what your saying below so I don't know if that's
the
--->case, but I will definitely check it out.
--->
--->
--->--->> Hi,
--->>
--->> Thanks for using this newsgroup.
--->>
--->> From your description, I understand you have created Group Policy
defining
--->> proxy and I found one of your servers does not apply this policy. You
--->> concern how to make this policy affect for this problematic server.
If I
--->> misunderstood, please let me know.
--->>
--->> <Everything else works fine e.g user creations password reset etc.>
--->>
--->> Do you mean other group policy setting works fine on this problematic
--->> server except proxy?
--->>
--->> If so, to make it effect, I suggest you enable 'policy mode' for IE
--->> related
--->> policies or update IE GPs on DC to make client reapply these policies
--->> test the result. For the reason, please see my analysis below:
--->>
--->> Analysis:
--->> ==========
--->>
[...]
--->> Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
--->>
--->> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
--->> =====================================================
--->> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
--->> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
--->> =====================================================
--->> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
--->> rights.
--->>
--->>
--->> --------------------
--->> --->From: "joe1983" <[email protected]>
--->> --->Subject: GPMC 2000 Domain
--->> --->Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:54:34 +0100
--->> --->Lines: 20
--->> --->X-Priority: 3
--->> --->X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
--->> --->X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
--->> --->X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
--->> --->X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
--->> --->Message-ID: <[email protected]>
--->> --->Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
--->> --->NNTP-Posting-Host: 212.158.104.130
TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl
--->> --->Xref: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
--->> microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy:1371
--->> --->X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
--->> --->Have a weird problem guys.