Got this been built, what u think ?

Reaction score
nearly £1000

Enermax 350w Verre V770 Series Case
ABIT NF7-S v2.0 nForce2 Motherboard
AMD XP2800+ CPU
2 X 512 MB PC3200 memory (CORSAIR BRAND)
Maxtor 120 Gb HDD (8MB Cache, SERIAL ATA, 7200rpm)
Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro (128mb DDR memory)
LG CDRW 52x24x52 (including NERO software)
LG DVD ROM drive 16x48
Standard Floppy disk drive
AERO7 Coolmaster fan (CPU)
2 x Case Fans (with coloured LED’s)
Internal Cathode (red + blue light)
Round EIDE Cables
Windows XP HOME edition + Licence

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm, not bad, though I don't know what you need the lights for. :D However, I would not use rounded IDE cables even if you are only going to use them for your CDROM drives. :p

What monitor are you getting?

Reaction score
keeping monitor ive got at moment, will look into getting a TFT later in the year, as i hear TFTs will come down in price more.

the lights are just to tart it up, nothing special my lil bro wanted them anyways.

should do me for some years i guess

what is wrong with rounded cables ? just curious as iam not sure myself

Reaction score
Originally posted by muckshifter
I would not use rounded IDE cables even if you are only going to use them for your CDROM drives. :p

As long as the rounded cables are good quality there shouldnt be an issue, at the end of the day the are there to allow better airflow, plus they look so much cooler.

Reaction score
Looks like a good system m8!;)

I've never heard of rounded cables having more problems than ribbon cables...some have had probs, but so have ribbons. Every cable i've used in every rig i've built in the last 3 years has had rounded cables and there have been no probs...is there something you haven't been telling me Mucks?:confused: (or is it just something to do with data transfer integrity?)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Benchmark them and see ...

Rounded cables can cut your 'data transfer rate' in half, not to mention 'data loss'. While the latter has improved in recent months I would strongly suggest you never use rounded on a RAID Array, and never in a server.

There has been so much "hype" about rounded ver STD cables in relation to 'air flow' affecting your system. Humbug, gets the right balance of air moving through your system and you don't need more than one case fan.

If you want a "pretty looking" system carry on and use what you like it’s your data, if you want stability and speed stick with ribbon. ;)

I can't wait the day when all systems use SATA cables. :D

Reaction score
Too right about SATA...my RAID is SATA and those little red cables do make me wish that i could dump the IDE cables altogether. Maybe i should try putting in some flat cables in place of my rounded ones and see if my opticals show any improvement? What would be the best test to check that Mucks?

Reaction score
I already have sandra2002...just never really got into using it. thanks for the tip!:bow:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nice system there Zoulz :D

I'm using rounded cables on two RAID 0 setups right now and one of them has been in place over a year, never had a prob.

In fact, the only cables I've ever had a problem with have been the flat IDE ribbon cables, I've had several break down on me.

I've only ever bought quality rounded cables and favour them as they're so much neater and improve airflow.

The cables I'm using on both RAID arrays are single ended and 25cm long, they all go direct from HDD to IDE slots 3 & 4, positioned in both instances directly below the HDD's.

imo, they look cool. Also, shorter length probably means improved data flow rate.

I wouldn't diss rounded cables at all, in my experience they've proved far more reliable than the flat ones.

I have Sandra 2003 Pro, out of curiosity, I shall put it to use.

Reaction score
i have been using round cables for a year with no prob but maybe I just dont know enough to tell the difference

Reaction score
Ditto on the 'rounded cables never giving me any problems' opinion.

Been using the same set for over a year, and still no issues to this day.

Reaction score
the round cables are great for the airflow but with all the EMF round them so if you don't shut down every couple of days then the cables will not work as good as the flat ribbion

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Originally posted by Noir
the round cables are great for the airflow but with all the EMF round them so if you don't shut down every couple of days then the cables will not work as good as the flat ribbion

Both my RAID arrays, using rounded cables, are on 24/7, 'crunching' proteins for the UD Cancer project. And they have been since their original build.

I haven't noticed any problems.

Just throwing my experiences in the mix :D

Ask a Question