Google Chrome Released

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Google released their new browser yesterday, called Chrome. It is still in the Beta stages, but is based on the stable WebKit rendering engine so should be fairly stable:

"At Google, we spend much of our time working inside a browser. Like all of you, we search, shop, bank, read news and keep in touch with friends - all using a browser. People are spending an increasing amount of time online, and they're doing things never imagined when the web first appeared about 15 years ago.

Since we spend so much time online, we began seriously thinking about what kind of browser could exist if you started from scratch and built on the best elements out there. We realised that the web had evolved from mainly simple text pages to rich, interactive applications and that we needed to completely rethink the browser. What we really needed was not just a browser, but also a modern platform for web pages and applications, and that's what we set out to build."

You can download the new browser direct from Google.

Attachments

• GoogleChrome.jpg
    GoogleChrome.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,033

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• policy number4.jpg
    policy number4.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 830
  • policy number5.jpg
    policy number5.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 787
  • policy number6.jpg
    policy number6.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 766
  • policy number7.jpg
    policy number7.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 759

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's a little huge Abarbarian...

And I'd give it a while before you try this thing cos

Oops

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... it is BETA, there are a whole host of "errors" being reported everywhere ... it looks good though. ;)

:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm also reading the whole thing crashes if you just put '%' in the browser search bar.

I don't think it's even ready for public beta testing yet, way too risky.

Back to the drawing board... :D

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I'm also reading the whole thing crashes if you just put '%' in the browser search bar.

I don't think it's even ready for public beta testing yet, way too risky.

Back to the drawing board... :D

I just put '%' into the search bar and it didn't crash on me...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That bloody cartoon is really messing up my browser, actullay, only IE7 I know, but I wish people would be good mannered enough to resize :mad:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
It would appear they're working on it then eh?

Grrr Somebody do sommit about that cartoon please...

More than likely was a crash on one computer, and because its still in beta it got blamed..

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
That bloody cartoon is really messing up my browser, actullay, only IE7 I know, but I wish people would be good mannered enough to resize :mad:
Flops/Abarb - I've edited it so it doesn't expand our browsers so much :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thank you Squire.

I was feeling grumpy last night :blush:

Odd how if one is a grumpy personage, others follow... ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
This is the first time I have been on-line since I posted the pics. I can not edit them as the "EDIT" button and facility is not available, it seems it has disappeared.
All the pics are of a small size and are less than 800 X 600 which I was told is the acceptable size for the site. As you know from the linux guides I have posted I am willing to change picture size if I can and post user friendly stuff. However I am not a hacker so can not do so on this occassion. :eek:

As you know I like cartoons but I did not post them for the humour. I am suprised that no one commented on the content.
user.gif

Reaction score
Looks like they might have based this cartoon bloke on David Guest, you know him what were married to Liza Minelli:lol: :lol:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
This is the first time I have been on-line since I posted the pics. I can not edit them as the "EDIT" button and facility is not available, it seems it has disappeared.
All the pics are of a small size and are less than 800 X 600 which I was told is the acceptable size for the site. As you know from the linux guides I have posted I am willing to change picture size if I can and post user friendly stuff. However I am not a hacker so can not do so on this occassion. :eek:
I can't help you with the first bit - maybe Ian can shed some light?

Regarding the pics - it wasn't the actual size that was the problem, it was just you had them all on the same line so it spread right across the page and off the screen for most browsers - I moved them so they are one below each other :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Sorry about the confusion over the pics. They showed up right size and underneath each other when I viewed them after posting. Mind you I am using a free open source os and browser which may have caused the problem. Guess I will have to save up and buy a really good os like Windows XP or Vista and use that wonderful IE 7 or 8 browser.

laughingsmiley.gif

Joking apart I'm using the same set up as I posted me guides on and they showed up ok. So something has changed somewhere.Could be me as I don't think I hit enter after loading each pic :blush:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Each browser can render things differently, so they might "overflow" in FF but not in IE - i.e. drop down below each other :)

With regards to the editing, there is something like a 24h limit on editing posts - as spammers were posting something sensible and then editing the post to include spam links after a few days :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Darned spammers. :(

I thought you had fixed that by only giving editing permissions to regular "posters". Means I can not edit me linux guides anymore. :(

Or resize me pics when I make a major goof. :pan that will anoy some members
laughingsmiley.gif
:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hmm, actually you're right - I changed it a while back didn't I? Let's see what's changed :)

edit : actually, it looks like I've changed editing to at any point now, so I'm not sure why the edit button didn't appear? It could be because it was in the news area, I'll check that now.

Ask a Question