Good Anti-Virus Software? ...

NonDisputandum.com

I've seen references in newsgroups to Norton 2004's having a lot of
problems. Would that be a reason not to use it?

And you think Panda is a good product?

Thanks ...

Linda W.

No,.. Norton is fine as long as it has enough system resources.
--
Freeware revieuws for your Windows PC
Honest & no nags: www.NONDISPUTANDUM.com

BoB

Hi,

I was going to ask the same question as the first post(linda), I have
been useing Norton 2003 and have had update problems since the last
two weeks and its forcing my to accept the "auto update" that I dont
like very much.

There is a thread running about a user who renewed Norton for
another year but cannot get the update to work. Norton help was
'no help' and he cannot get a refund. One Teed off trooper!
As for a good AV the question has been settled, my question now is
does anyone know of a AV that dont "pilfer or take back" private data
or info from pc. This was mentioned in another NG.

I am aware of NO reputable AV that has been detected doing such,
whether free or commercial, but you did not identify the AV you
settled on.
I am not a expert on pc's can just about navigate within my own.

Thanks in advance

BlackFoot

BoB

BoB

P.S. If I decide to use AVG, would I uninstall the Norton that came
pre-installed on my computer? (The one that for which the free trial
offer has expired ...)

Definitely uninstall Norton prior to installing another AV.
There is probably a LiveUpdate folder and files that should
be uninstalled also.

BoB

Linda W.

As you can see from all posts, there are a few choices to make. I've
installed Norton, Panda, AVG and all in all, AVG is good for
beginners. Panda and Norton are tough but heavy. Email screening can
prevent an inadvertent script from your prieview window.
COmmercial use as a transcriber, sure that's debateable. If you can
purchase nice shoes you can afford to buy the full version, plus you
get knowledgable (cough) technical support and upgrades.

Safe Hex is computing within an environment where you expect viruses
or other malware and you take the steps neccessary to prevent an
intrusion. Updating OS, AV and the like. I like this article
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Good luck
Billy

Billy ...

Thanks very much.

As to whether I can afford nice shoes -- that's an interesting
question. Being self-employed, I actually usually purchase my shoes
at thrift or consignment shops. :) Seriously.

Notwithstanding that, if I should not use the free software because I
am paid for transcribing, then I will look into the services that one
pays for.

You mention an advantage of the paid-for software is tech support and
updates.

So the free programs don't provide updates? Just curious.

And thanks ...

Linda W.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Linda W.:
You mention an advantage of the paid-for software is tech support
and updates.

One advantage might be tech support; sometimes it takes awhile to get
a reply. Some of the free ones have support as well. Avast! has a forum:
http://forum.avast.com/
So the free programs don't provide updates? Just curious.

They all provide updates, both program and databases. Avast! is
updating all the time, often more than once per day.

Here's another page of mine you may want to read through.
http://home.rochester.rr.com/bshagnasty/tips.html

BlackFoot

I am aware of NO reputable AV that has been detected doing such,
whether free or commercial, but you did not identify the AV you
settled on.

Since I was(still is) on the lookout for a new AV this was said or
hinted at in another NG but no name was mentioned either thats the
reason for my asking, also the reason I didnt think much of the auto
on-line updates from the start as it sort of forces to accpet this as
default, no idea where its going and what it's doing.

BlackFoot

Linda W.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Quoth the raven named Linda W.:

One advantage might be tech support; sometimes it takes awhile to get
a reply. Some of the free ones have support as well. Avast! has a forum:
http://forum.avast.com/

They all provide updates, both program and databases. Avast! is
updating all the time, often more than once per day.

Here's another page of mine you may want to read through.
http://home.rochester.rr.com/bshagnasty/tips.html

As I'd mentioned in another post, I had been thinking about Avast! --
I'd like to at least try it while I'm really looking into the various
products, so that I'd have something running.

However, the free version mentions that it can not be used by someone
who uses their computer for commercial purposes.

I use my computer for a lot of different (non-paid) things. However,
I do do some transcribing on it, for which I am paid. Would this mean
that I should not use the Avast! free software?

It would be nice to have it to try, as I said, while I'm making a
decision.

Perhaps I should e-mail Avast! and ask them if it would be all right
if I tried it?

Thanks ...

Linda W.

Jan Il

Linda W. said:
"Jan Il" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Jan ...

Thanks very much for this information.

So you're saying that whatever program I use, I should not use the
e-mail screening part of it, but that I should disable that???
On my Norton free trial, they seemed to strongly recommend using the
e-mail screening. But you think it causes problems?

It is the recommendation of many MS MVP's and other experts that deal with
in Internet and e-mails connections and programs all the time, that AV
program e-mail scanning features be disabled, as it can cause problems with
e-mail programs, and do not provide any additional protection.
Also -- what is Safe Hex?

As 'Billy' posted the link for already:
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Here is a site provided by experts that explains how to protect your PC from
Parasites, Viruses and other security issues, along with recommended
programs for each. It is like a One-Stop shopping mall for most things that
you need to know about keeping your PC safe and clean. Also check the
Security Links on the left column. It is a very good source of information.
This should provide you with sufficient information for you to determine
your needs or desires in regards to seruity.

http://aumha.org/secure.htm

If you are not sure which program you prefer, then try AVG6 Free and then
Avast, or vise versa. They are both good, and both light on resources, and
both very user friendly, and both free. Adaware sometimes updates 3-4 times
a day, whereas SpyBot does only once a month, but, SpyBot is still no less
effective.

Once you have the information necessary, make up your own mind as to which
one you feel most comfortable with. You are the one who has to deal with it
on a daily basis, and depend on it to afford you as much protection as
possible. Your OS and system conditions may differ considerably from mine
or others here, and some AV's don't always work well with all OS's.

HTH

Jan :)

..

Linda W.

Jan Il said:
[...]

.

Jan ...

Great advice. Thanks so much!

I think I'll also e-mail Avast, if possible, and ask them about
whether I can still use their free software since I do do transcribing
on my computer.

And I'll check out Safe Hex, too.

Thanks so much for all this helpful information.

Linda W.

hawk

I have used McAfee, Norton, NOD32 and Avast with E-mail scans and have
never had a problem. What kind of problems and how could anyone say
scanning E-mail does not provide additional protection? I get infected
E-mail very often and these AV programs always find it. And of course,
I practice "safe hex".

Regards, hawk

Jan Il wrote:>

Jan Il

Linda W. said:
"Jan Il" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Jan ...

Great advice. Thanks so much!

I think I'll also e-mail Avast, if possible, and ask them about
whether I can still use their free software since I do do transcribing
on my computer.

And I'll check out Safe Hex, too.

Thanks so much for all this helpful information.

You're very welcome Linda, I'm glad to help. :)

Jan :)

Peter Seiler

Jan Il - 07.05.2004 17:27 :

[about 160 quoting lines snipped]

no need quoting all this only to say:
You're very welcome Linda, I'm glad to help. :)

THX for your understanding.

Jan Il

hawk said:
I have used McAfee, Norton, NOD32 and Avast with E-mail scans and have
never had a problem. What kind of problems and how could anyone say
scanning E-mail does not provide additional protection? I get infected
E-mail very often and these AV programs always find it. And of course,
I practice "safe hex".

The types of problems may vary, one of which is corrupting the Identities,
and loss of e-mails. However, you can go to the ng below and ask that
question, and I am sure that the regular experts there listed below will be
happy to explain in detail the various types of problems that can be caused,
and why AV e-mail scanning features do not provide any additional
protection, far better than I can, as I am not an expert. Additionally, this
does not only apply to IE or OE.

microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

Tim K.
aka Kuay Tim
MVP - (IE/OE)

Jim Pickering, MVP-Outlook Express

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

hth

Jan :)

Jan Il

Peter Seiler said:
Jan Il - 07.05.2004 17:27 :

[about 160 quoting lines snipped]

no need quoting all this only to say:
You're very welcome Linda, I'm glad to help. :)

THX for your understanding.

Thank you very much for the reminder. I'll make sure not to join in the
next extensive flood of helpful responses to one of Tracker's posts. ;-)

Jan :)

Gerard Coorne

Linda W. wrote:
Mine is a home computer, and I use it for many things. However, I do
do transcribing with it, and I am paid for that.

Would that be considered a commercial use?

In which case, should I not use the free program?

If you do transcribing on a paid base it looks commercial, doesn't it.

So, if you do transcribing, say, 8 percent of your processing time,
you could
- either deactivate Avast for the periods of tramscribing or
- try to get a pro rata temporis licence from Alwil Software Co. or
- regard this as a very minor proportion of commercial use which
justifies your computer to be classified as a private home machine
(depending on the local legislation of the State you are living in).

Gérard