Going back to XP from vista

D

david mcdaniel

Hi, I have a new HP media center m7750n. It came with vista but i want to
run xp on it ti see if itll help speed it up. I had no problems at all out
of xp before. The trouble is when i install either xp or xp 64 bit edition
it doesnt see my ethernet connection however I have no problem under Vista.
Any help will be greeatly appreciated.

M

mikeyhsd

how much memory, vista should have atleast 1gb.

(e-mail address removed)

Hi, I have a new HP media center m7750n. It came with vista but i want to
run xp on it ti see if itll help speed it up. I had no problems at all out
of xp before. The trouble is when i install either xp or xp 64 bit edition
it doesnt see my ethernet connection however I have no problem under Vista.
Any help will be greeatly appreciated.

D

david mcdaniel

4 gigs and im trying to go from vista to xp the puter i bought came with
vista

M

mikeyhsd

do not have an answer for the network situation, but so far as vista being slow.
what things are you noticing that are slow.
remember when you first run vista it spends a LONG time indexing the drive(s) and this can slow down some operations.

YEAH I know the mvp's say no, but in real life it does.

you most likely need to update drivers for the vista side.
also some of the most well known virus programs have MAJOR problems with vista, namely mcafee and norton. causing all kinds of problems among which are slowing the system down. avast or avg are most often recommended and are FREE.

(e-mail address removed)

vista

M

mikeyhsd

there are a lot more services running than with xp.
personally when I want to BURN cd/dvd I use msconfig and shut down everything and reboot to do the burn.
and reverse the process when done.

(e-mail address removed)

Its not slow just not as fast as i expected. The cpu, ram and hard drive i have should be able to turn a dvd into an .iso file in about 10 minutes if i were using xp. it takes me about 15 minutes on the average sometimes as fast as 12 but thats about it.
do not have an answer for the network situation, but so far as vista being slow.
remember when you first run vista it spends a LONG time indexing the drive(s) and this can slow down some operations.

also some of the most well known virus programs have MAJOR problems with vista, namely mcafee and norton. causing all kinds of problems among which are slowing the system down. avast or avg are most often recommended and are FREE.

(e-mail address removed)

vista

D

david mcdaniel

Its not slow just not as fast as i expected. The cpu, ram and hard drive i have should be able to turn a dvd into an .iso file in about 10 minutes if i were using xp. it takes me about 15 minutes on the average sometimes as fast as 12 but thats about it.

(e-mail address removed)

vista

Ask a Question