    --
    Martin
    ©¿©¬

    Martin ©¿©¬ , Oct 27, 2010

  2. >>>>> "somewhere" == somewhere <Martin> writes:

    somewhere> Hi Which paper uses more ink at the same printer settings
    somewhere> Glossy or Matte photo paper? -- Martin ©¿©¬

    I believe it depends on the printer model, and printer brand, as well as
    in some cases which gloss paper is selected.

    For Canon printers, I can give an example of the iP4700, where Matte
    Photo Paper uses an inkset I will refer to here as PhotoHighQuality,
    both for "high quality" and "standard" quality printing, with the
    difference that the printer uses different quality settings (3 and 2,
    respectively) for the inkset.

    For gloss paper types, for the iP4700 all use the PhotoHighQuality inket
    with quality setting 3 for "high quality" printing, and a different
    inket which I refer to here as PhotoStandarndQuality at quality setting
    2 for "standard" quality printing.

    Since the PhotoStandardQuality inkset uses less ink than the
    PhotoHighQuality inkset, I believe that for the iP4700 gloss papers use
    less ink, but only for "standard" quality printing. At "high quality"
    setting they are identical.

    Inkjet Hagaki and CDs use yet a different inkset, and 3 more different
    inksets are used for plain paper (1 each for "high quality", "standard"
    and "fast" quality), and the "standard" one of these plain paper modes
    are also used for non-photo Hagaki.

    Epson printers use a different system, so I am not sure what the result
    will be there. Nor am I able to say anything about HP or other brands of
    printers.
    --
    Gernot Hassenpflug
    Pentium DualCore E2180 2GHz, Asus P5, 4GiB RAM

    Gernot Hassenpflug, Oct 28, 2010

  3. Martin ©¿©¬

    Joel Guest

    Martin ©¿©¬ lid wrote:

    > Hi
    > Which paper uses more ink at the same printer settings
    > Glossy or Matte photo paper?

    In general, there is NONE paper can use more ink than what the printer can
    possible deliver.

    There is/are

    - Util to set/reduce ink to SAVE INK

    - Some paper dries quicker/slower than other.

    - Some INK may not absorb quick enough on some specific PAPER. I am not
    talking about few seconds but MINUTES or even HOURS. And this is my
    personal experience and it happened to me probably around more/less 10 years
    ago.

    - Different Iik, Paper, Application may have different result. I would say
    differrent setting would have different result too (that's the reason why
    people setup the way they want).

    IOW, it's not easy or almost impossible for anyone to give you a simple
    answer for all situations/differences/combinations. You will have to try
    yourself to find out what suites you the most.

    Joel, Oct 28, 2010
  4. Martin ©¿©¬

    MD34 Guest

    For color handouts I use Hammermill Color Copy Gloss.
    It's pretty cheap at Office Max

    MD34, Oct 29, 2010
  5. Martin ©¿©¬

    Rob Guest

    On 28/10/2010 12:09 AM, Martin ©¿©¬ lid wrote:
    > Hi
    > Which paper uses more ink at the same printer settings
    > Glossy or Matte photo paper?

    This is not the way to go about this. But I'm making the assumption that
    you want to determine the ink density for a particular paper. A standard
    test is applicable for you to determine if an increase or reduction in
    ink, for a particular paper, is warranted.

    You should print a chart to determine the optimal ink loading. Epson
    have a chart on their site with instructions. (Virtually a grey scale
    chart. Epson 360 Ink Limit Testing Chart)

    The media setting in the printer driver dictates how much ink is loaded
    onto the print - not necessarily what "type" of media you are using.
    Therefore, changing the media setting changes the ink load. Also
    adjusting the "colour density" setting in the printer driver software
    can be used to increase/decrease the ink loading.

    Rob, Oct 31, 2010