Global Assembly Cache

G

I was told to use the GAC to deploy networked applications that use the same dlls. So, I created the "cryptographic key pair" in a networked location. I know I need to add the following line to the assemblyInfo.vb file
<Assembly: AssemblyKeyFile("NetworkLocationPath")
I also figured out how to add dlls to the c:\[systemRoot]\assembly directory using the gacUtil
However, I don't want to install the dlls on the users machines. I want a standard location for the dlls to reside on the network so I don't have to copy the dlls to each users machine and every application can use these same dlls.

Can somebody tell me the steps I need to follow to accomplish this and update it in the future?

N

Nice Chap

Check help on URL Remoting, it may be what you are looking for.

Also, have you tried private deployment on a network share (i.e create a
directory accessible to the users of your app and copy ALL the files needed
by your application to this directory). All the requirements for Private
deployment would have to be satisfied (check help).

G

Yes, I have tried the network share where you have a directory for APP1 and all fo the dlls in that directory. It works, but I don't want "some.dll" in each one of the directories for APP1, APP2, APP3, etc. I want a dllDirectory on the network where all the dlls are stored and APP1, APP2, APP3, etc. use the dlls in the dllDirectory.

Ask a Question