Gigabyte motherboards designed in Taipei

John Doe

That's what it says, printed on the motherboard, like they're
proud of it.

Our "greed is good, jobs Americans won't do" manufacturers and
ruling class puppet politicians might be able to completely
destroy our technology capability, but not with my business (as
long as I have some choice in the matter).

Our politicians talk about nation crippling cyber threats from
communist China, while they promote outsourcing and hiring H1B
visa high-tech workers. I wouldn't be surprised if communist China
sends a Statue of Liberty style (Trojan horse) gift to us, and our
politicians swoon all over it while it kills us.

Justin

That's what it says, printed on the motherboard, like they're
proud of it.

Our "greed is good, jobs Americans won't do" manufacturers and
ruling class puppet politicians might be able to completely
destroy our technology capability, but not with my business (as
long as I have some choice in the matter).

Our politicians talk about nation crippling cyber threats from
communist China, while they promote outsourcing and hiring H1B
visa high-tech workers. I wouldn't be surprised if communist China
sends a Statue of Liberty style (Trojan horse) gift to us, and our
politicians swoon all over it while it kills us.

What we need are union built motherboards. Then we can go back to the
days of base computers costing $5,000.

What we also need is another war. George Bush was a hero for starting
the 2003 Iraq invasion. After all Iraq was the perpetrator behind 9/11.
Also, the Bible clearly states that Israel must be protected at all
costs. God's chosen people are truly blessed and if you're not willing
to die for them then you're Godless.

Same Guy

Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:08:13 +0000 (UTC): written by John Doe
That's what it says, printed on the motherboard, like they're
proud of it.

Required by US law since the 70's when Japanese imports were the big
threat.

Paul

John said:
That's what it says, printed on the motherboard, like they're
proud of it.

Our "greed is good, jobs Americans won't do" manufacturers and
ruling class puppet politicians might be able to completely
destroy our technology capability, but not with my business (as
long as I have some choice in the matter).

Our politicians talk about nation crippling cyber threats from
communist China, while they promote outsourcing and hiring H1B
visa high-tech workers. I wouldn't be surprised if communist China
sends a Statue of Liberty style (Trojan horse) gift to us, and our
politicians swoon all over it while it kills us.

Designed in Taipei, is actually good. At least compared to some
of the worst (small) Chinese motherboard makers. Like the ones
that used to make carbon copies of other companies designs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan

"The political and legal statuses of Taiwan are contentious issues.
The People's Republic of China (PRC) claims that the Republic of China
government is illegitimate, referring to it as the "Taiwan Authority".
The ROC, however, with its own constitution, independently elected
president and armed forces, continues to view itself as a sovereign state.
The present territory of the state has never been controlled by the PRC."

That article makes it hard to understand the politics, but there's
a slight separation between the two.

I think at one point, what might have happened, is companies in Taiwan,
set up factories in China, to reduce labor costs. "Designed in Taipei"
is intended to indicate that the manufacturing may be in mainland
China, but the actual design is in Taiwan. At one time, the whole
thing would have been done in Taiwan, except that Chinese factories
could make stuff for less, so the companies then started designing
in Taiwan and manufacturing in China. A lot like Apple, in a way.
If the Taiwanese hadn't done that, their prices would have been
undercut by pure Chinese operations.

Paul

John Doe

Paul said:
John Doe wrote:

Designed in Taipei, is actually good.

No, it's not.
At least compared to some of the worst (small) Chinese
motherboard makers. Like the ones that used to make carbon
copies of other companies designs.

Used to? Is that something you read on wikishit? It's a trend,
it's not something that's over. And it serves them right.

John Doe

Some nymshifting noarchive troll who suggests that because we
helped move Japan towards democracy, that means communist China is
not a communist country...

--

noarchive and/or nymshifting
From: Same Guy <was another.address>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Gigabyte motherboards designed in Taipei
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 07:40:52 -0800

Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:08:13 +0000 (UTC): written by John Doe
That's what it says, printed on the motherboard, like they're
proud of it.

Required by US law since the 70's when Japanese imports were the big
threat.

John Doe

George Bush Junior also helped ship 8 million jobs to communist
China slave labor factories. But this Luddite doesn't care about
putting its fellow countrymen out of work, as long as it saves a
few pennies when it goes to the store.

Flasherly

That's what it says, printed on the motherboard, like they're
proud of it.

What Gigabyte's proud of are the Japanese components specially
designed on equipment for rating their MBs at higher specifications,
33% MTBF, than average. Redundant sets of BIOS chips. Higher
tolerance input filters for series, slam-dunked surges or dubious PS
units. It goes on, surely, but I threw the cardboard box in the
garbage, alas, just the other night. What's interesting is MSI at
this juncture also has taken a similar tack, apparently skipping
further formalities to label their boards within Military Compliance.
Shot it with a 45 magnum, the most powerful handgun known, punk, if
you feel lucky. No doubt great ad copy for cardboard, as well.
They're both nevertheless among the few remaining long-term players,
neither which likely advanced into the top rankings of a premier world
MB providers, Asus has in sheer terms of quantity, which is why
there's an aspect, nonetheless, of experience by dint time lends. Not
much else, really, for hardtack in monetary considerations either can
charge with alternative sources, Biostar, ARock, or what else the
Seven Tigers of the Pacific Rim customarily provide. Personally, I've
been hearing good talk about Gigabyte for a long time. MSI, neither,
would be notably a bad experience I'd care to interject. If I still
trusted Newegg's used or returned but certified gear, though, or if
they offered anything seriously worth consideration in that
department, other than an headache, I'd might, remotely, conceivably,
be buying $200 Asus MBs for a nickel on the dollar. But, that's in
lieu of hearing Asus rumors from people employed within, albeit dated
and very, though with enough reason now to consider how severe effects
might turn when functional MB components partially fault during a
process of substandard operations, as they did with my last ASUS MB.
Also saw a press release, from Gigabyte around about then, citing Asus
for knowingly putting in substandard MPU support capacitors.
Percentages, hand grenades and horseshoes, or a bunch of damn liars.
You choose. Worst among my three experiences -- a) blowing memory
chips due to brown/blackouts outs when memory cost an arm and leg, b)
RF radiation out of a PS or noise on the bus into a tape unit, c) and
that Asus MB, I couldn't any more say with certainty power capacitors
entirely comprised whatever in ****'s name Asus problems entail.
Eating perfectly beautiful and adorable power supplies, for starters,
for the hell of it, well, I'm certain we can agree it's just so mean
that it's just plain un-American.

Robin Bignall

What Gigabyte's proud of are the Japanese components specially
designed on equipment for rating their MBs at higher specifications,
33% MTBF, than average. Redundant sets of BIOS chips. Higher
tolerance input filters for series, slam-dunked surges or dubious PS
units. It goes on, surely, but I threw the cardboard box in the
garbage, alas, just the other night.
[..]
Very interesting post, Flash. I've got one of those new super-duper
Gigabyte boards, extremely fast with a 3.6 quad processor and fast DDR3.
BUT --- it will not reboot when an installer wants it to. I can reboot
if I select 'restart' from the shutdown menu. I can reboot when an
installer says 'reboot now' or 'reboot later'. But installing Windows 8
(an upgrade install from Win 7 Ult), about the second panel in after
it's checked for updates, the installer says "Your system will now
reboot..." The Windows 8 installer panel closes but my computer doesn't
reboot. The Windows 8 installer then proceeds as though the reboot had
happened, and, of course, fails because it cannot find those things that
it should have written to disk but didn't.
This is a weird fault. Nothing in BIOS addresses it.
I didn't notice it when I upgraded from XP to W7, for that is a clean
install with no reboots.

Justin

George Bush Junior also helped ship 8 million jobs to communist
China slave labor factories. But this Luddite doesn't care about
putting its fellow countrymen out of work, as long as it saves a
few pennies when it goes to the store.

Sounds more like Romney - the pioneer of off-shoring.

larrymoencurly

That's what it says, printed on the motherboard, like they're
proud of it.

Our "greed is good, jobs Americans won't do" manufacturers and
ruling class puppet politicians might be able to completely
destroy our technology capability, but not with my business (as
long as I have some choice in the matter).

So why has Intel been making 75% of its investments in the US, and
why are so many "Made in Malaysia" Intel CPUs actually made in the
US (Oregon or Arizona)?

As for the "Designed in Taipei" label on Gigabyte mobos, I've seen that
on MSI mobos, too, and apparently it's for marketing purposes in China,
where Taiwan products are considered better but the Chinese government
doesn't like labels to mention Taiwan.

Flasherly

[...]

Of course the BIOS wouldn't address it. The BIOS is contracted by the
motherboard manufacturer, the former provides a BIOS chip based on the
manufacturer's board specifications and intent for writing or fine
tuning BIOS chips at the engineering level and prior to board
production runs. The whole process and not only BIOS is to met
standardization levels with hardware and driver support for general
industry compliance...Windows or a Unix should expect as much, that
certain calls to the MB are to be reciprocated. But, yes, I know what
-it- is when going through what you're describing. You need to be
able to time it with an override method at the point when indicated
the drivers are installed and to reboot, a method other than the
installer which you initiate. Cntl-Alt-Del or the Start button along
the XP route. I sometimes keep binary OS backups for more stages of
an OS software build, during which case a critical juncture gets
bungled that I especially wanted to go smooth as silk. Perhaps a
software process application monitor setup first for manually
identifying terminating the installer if need be. Then there are some
driver installation routines, and, then again, there are some driver
installation routines in a class of themselves.

John Doe

Pure speculation, justification for putting its fellow countrymen
out of work, so its greedy self can save a few pennies...

Robin Bignall

[...]

I tried something like that. What the installer actually says is that
"when you click on 'next' the systems will reboot"...
So instead of clicking on 'next' I manually rebooted via shutdown. But
the installer does not restart at the point where it left off because it
has not done something that it would have done had it rebooted itself.
So Windows does not know it's in the middle of a procedure, and if you
restart the install it goes back to the beginning. Very frustrating.
I sometimes keep binary OS backups for more stages of
an OS software build, during which case a critical juncture gets
bungled that I especially wanted to go smooth as silk. Perhaps a
software process application monitor setup first for manually
identifying terminating the installer if need be. Then there are some
driver installation routines, and, then again, there are some driver
installation routines in a class of themselves.

I think that's beyond my pay level. I'll have to live with Win7 and
give Win8 a miss. But it is a weird problem and I haven't found anyone
else who suffers from it.

Flasherly

Very frustrating.

OK - pulled and got my espresso. Wasn't rightly reading you before,
old chap, and needed that slap in the face. I'm all better now,
primed: Windows 7 utilities to an addition, ported by Microsoft Corp.,
through and onto a full Windows 8 upgrade. Sounds major, dude, but
I'm with you in theory.
I think that's beyond my pay level. I'll have to live with Win7 and
give Win8 a miss. But it is a weird problem and I haven't found anyone
else who suffers from it.

If we're to read you literally, that set of potential exclusions to
have included your MB, would not be a logical inclusion of all or most
of some other owners of the very same model Gigabyte. However
unlikely that may sound. What may, however, sound better is a certain
tradition found in Microsoft mannerisms. One which I've certainly
found never too distant to be a constant reminder of fastidiousness.
Two cold boots from the switch at the back of the power supply, by way
of an XP example, when attempting to replace or removing trace
software drivers and registry affinities.

First, though, allow me. . .partitioning two primary partitions one,
need be hardly sized over a token for 98DOS, for other, the Microsoft
drives, is actually quite a simple concept to construct. Bearing in
mind provided the proper tools...

Hiren's.BootCD.10.6.iso (271 MB)
Hiren's BootCD 10.6
For information about this bootcd please visit http://www.hiren.info
Please email feedback to: 99hiren{a}gmail.com

Ghost and Smart Boot Manager 3.7.1

Add a disk partitioning program directory (everything goes on the
token C:-DOS primary partition) for hiding that partition (i.e.,
booting from a flashstick or, better, Hiren's CD) only during the W7
or 8 installs (for good precautionary measures). I'll also have to go
on a presumptive likelihood these later Microsoft disk sector
incarnations are within reach of a binary restorative methods
provided. Over two drives on my S478 Pentium4 3Ghz, I can stream a
binary Ghost image for restoring a prior OS install, and/or OS state,
at a 850Mbytes sized image, (compressed by roughly 75% for around
1.25Gbytes functional file structuring, within a 45-second framework
to completion time.

An invaluable asset to problematic OS installs when considering their
approach to completely starting anew if a purchase can first be gained
at some point past that. Where I'd personally care to be to attempt
that feat is from an approved tradition alluded as particular to
Microsoft. Install W7 clean, squeaky, (optionally Ghost), and begin
from there on 8, (optionally Ghosting as you see fit).

**

Hiren's BootCD 10.6
All in one Bootable CD which has all these utilities
Antivirus Tools

ComboFix (2606) - Designed to cleanup malware infections and restore
settings modified by malware (Windows Freeware)

CWShredder 2.19 - Popular CoolWebSearch Trojan Remover tool (Windows
Freeware)

Dr.Web CureIt! Antivirus (2606) - a free standalone anti-virus and
anti-spyware on-demand scanner (Windows Freeware)

GMER 1.0.15 - Hidden services, hidden registry, hidden file scanner,
Rootkit Detector and Remover (Windows Freeware)

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46 (2606) - anti-malware application that
can thoroughly remove even the most advanced malware. (Windows
Freeware)

RootkitRevealer 1.7.1 - Rootkit Revealer is an advanced patent-pending
root kit detection utility. (Windows Freeware)

SmitFraudFix 2.424 - This removes Some of the popular Desktop Hijack
malware (Windows Freeware)

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.2 (2606) - Application to scan for
spyware, adware, hijackers and other malicious software. (Windows
Freeware)

SpywareBlaster 4.3 (2606) - Prevent the installation of spyware and
other potentially unwanted software. (Windows Freeware)

SuperAntispyware 4.39.1002 (2606) - Remove Malware, Rootkits, Spyware,
Adware, Worms, Parasites (a must have tool) (Windows Freeware)

----------------------------------
Archivers
----------------------------------

7-Zip 9.15b - File archiver with a high compression ratio Supports 7z,
ARJ, BZIP2, CAB, CHM, CPIO, DEB, DMG, FAT, GZ, GZIP, HFS, IMA, IMG,
ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, RAR, RPM, TAR, UDF, VHD, WIM,
XAR, XZ, ZIP and Z formats (Windows Freeware)

EasyUHA 1.0 - GUI Tool to create and extract UHA Archives (Windows
Freeware)

----------------------------------
Backup Tools
----------------------------------

G4L Ghost 4 Linux 0.33a - a hard disk and partition imaging and
cloning tool similar to Norton Ghost (Linux Freeware)

Partition Image - PartImage 0.6.9 - supported filesystem includes
Ext2, Ext3, Reiserfs, HFS, HPFS, JFS, Xfs, UFS, Fat16, Fat32 and NTFS.
(Linux Freeware)

Double Driver 3.0 - Driver Backup and Restore tool (Windows Freeware)

DriverBackup! 1.0.3 - Another handy tool to backup drivers (Windows
Freeware)

DriveImageXML 2.14 - backup any drive/partition to an image file, even
if the drive is currently in use (Windows Freeware)

FastCopy 2.01 - The Fastest Copy/Delete Software on Windows (Windows
Freeware)

GImageX 2.0.17 - ImageX is used to backup/restore WIM images for
Windows XP/Vista and Windows 7 (Windows Freeware)

InfraRecorder 0.50 - An Open source CD/DVD burning software, also
create/burn .iso images (Windows Freeware)

Partition Saving 3.80 - A tool to backup/restore partitions.
(SavePart.exe) (Windows/Dos Freeware)

RegBak 1.0 - a light-weight and simple utility to create backups of
Windows registry files (Windows Freeware)

SelfImage 1.2.1.92 - to create image files of any mounted or unmounted
hard disk partition. (Windows Freeware)

Smart Driver Backup 2.12 - Easy backup of your Windows device drivers
(also works from PE) (Windows Freeware)

WhitSoft File Splitter 4.5a - a Small File Split-Join Tool (Windows
Freeware)

COPYR.DMA Build013 - A Tool for making copies of hard disks with bad
sectors (Dos Freeware)

Drive SnapShot 1.40 - creates an exact Disk Image of your system into
a file while windows is running. (Windows Shareware)

Acronis True Image 8.1.945 - Create an exact disk image for complete
system backup and disk cloning. (Dos Commercial)

Norton Ghost 11.5.1 - a hard drive disk imaging utility for Windows
which supports Network/USB/SCSI (Windows/Dos Commercial)

----------------------------------
BIOS / CMOS Tools
----------------------------------

Award DMI Configuration Utility 2.43 - DMI Configuration utility for
modifying/viewing the MIDF contents. (Dos Freeware)

!BIOS 3.20 - a powerfull utility for bios and cmos (Dos Freeware)

BIOS Cracker 5.0 - BIOS password remover (cmospwd) (Dos Freeware)

BIOS Utility 1.35.0 - BIOS Informations, password, beep codes and
more. (Dos Freeware)

CMOS 0.93 - CMOS Save / Restore Tool (Dos Freeware)

DISKMAN4 - a powerful all in one utility (Windows/Dos Freeware)

Kill CMOS - a tiny utility to wipe cmos (Dos Freeware)

UniFlash 1.40 - bios flash utility (Dos Freeware)

----------------------------------
Browsers / File Managers
----------------------------------

7-Zip File Manager - 7-Zip is a popular open source file archiver
designed for Microsoft Windows (Windows Freeware)

Explore2fs 1.08b - GUI explorer tool for accessing linux ext2 and ext3
filesystems under windows (Windows Freeware)

Opera Web Browser 9.27 - One of the fastest, smallest and smartest
full-featured web browser (Windows Freeware)

Total Commander 7.55 - A file manager similar to the Windows Explorer
features side-by-side file-browsing panes, built-in FTP, archive
management, file search/compare/synchronize and more. (Windows
Shareware)

Dos Command Center 5.1 - Classic dos-based file manager. (Dos
Freeware)

Dos Navigator 6.4.0 - Dos File Manager, Norton Commander clone but has
much more features. (Dos Freeware)

File Maven 3.5 - an advanced Dos file manager with high speed PC-to-PC
file transfers via serial or parallel cable (Dos Freeware)

File Wizard 1.35 - a file manager - colored files, drag and drop copy,
move, delete etc. (Dos Freeware)

FastLynx 2.0 - Dos file manager with Pc to Pc file transfer capability
(Dos Freeware)

Volkov Commander 4.99 - Dos File Manager with LongFileName/ntfs
support (Similar to Norton Commander) (Dos Freeware)

Mini Windows 98 - Can run from Ram Drive, with ntfs support, 7-Zip,
Disk Defragmenter, Notepad / RichText Editor, Image
Viewer, .avi .mpg .divx .xvid Movie Player, etc... (Windows
Commercial)

Mini Windows Xp - Portable Windows Xp that runs from CD/USB/Ram Drive,
with Network and SATA support (Windows Commercial)

----------------------------------
Cleaners
----------------------------------

CCleaner 2.33.1184 - Crap Cleaner is a freeware system optimization
and privacy tool (Windows Freeware)

CleanUp! 4.5.2 - Removes junk files from all user profiles that
accumulate over time and litter your hard drive (Windows Freeware)

Data Shredder 1.0 - A tool to Erase disk and files (also wipe free
space) securely (Windows Freeware)

Delete Doctor 2.2 - Delete Files that are hard to delete, Option to
delete on reboot or via UNC Name (Windows Freeware)

MyUninstaller 1.65 - Alternative to the standard add / remove control
panel module (Windows Freeware)

SpaceMonger 1.4 - keeping track of the free space on your computer
(Windows Freeware)

WinDirStat 1.1.2.80 - a disk usage statistics viewer and cleanup tool
for Windows. (Windows Freeware)

----------------------------------
Editors / Viewers
----------------------------------

HxD 1.7.7.0 - Hex Editor provides tools to inspect and edit files,
main memory, disks/disk images (Windows Freeware)

IrfanView 4.27 - A free Image Viewer/Editor/Converter and Optimizer
(Windows Freeware)

SumatraPDF 1.1 - a free, open source, lightweight PDF Reader for
Microsoft Windows (Windows Freeware)

----------------------------------
FileSystems Tools
----------------------------------

AlternateStreamView 1.12 - View/Copy/Delete hidden NTFS Alternate Data
Streams (Windows Freeware)

FileDisk Mount Tool 25 - to mount ISO/BIN/NRG/MDF/IMA images on
windows. (Windows Freeware)

NewSID 4.10 - utility that changes the security ID (SID) for Windows
NT, 2000 and XP (Windows Freeware)

NTFS Access 2.1 - Set NTFS permissions recursively and full access
rights to a folder/file owner (Windows Freeware)

Virtual Floppy Drive 2.1 - enables you to create and mount a virtual
floppy drive on your NT/2000/XP/Vista (Windows Freeware)

EditBINI 1.01 - to Edit boot.ini on NTFS Partition (Dos Freeware)

NTFS4Dos 1.9 - To access ntfs partitions from Dos (Dos Freeware)

NTFS Dos 3.02 - To access ntfs partitions from Dos (Dos Freeware)

NTFS Dos Pro 5.0 - To access ntfs partitions from Dos (Dos Commercial)

Paragon Mount Everything 3.0 - To access NTFS, Ext2FS, Ext3FS
partitions from dos (Dos Commercial)

----------------------------------
Hard Disk Tools
----------------------------------

Active Kill Disk 4.1.2393 - Securely overwrites and destroys all data
on physical drive. (Dos Freeware)

ExcelStor's ESTest 4.50 - ExcelStor hard disk diagnostic utility (Dos
Freeware)

Fujitsu HDD Diagnostic Tool 7.00 - to check IDE drives for possible
defects/problems (Dos Freeware)

Fujitsu IDE Low Level Format 1.0 - Low Level Format Tool (Dos
Freeware)

Gateway GwScan 5.12 - Gateway hard drive diagnostic utility (Dos
Freeware)

Hard Disk Sentinel 1.00.5 - Hard Disk health, performance and
temperature monitoring tool. (Dos Freeware)

HDAT2 4.53 - main function is testing and repair (regenerates) bad
sectors for detected devices (Dos Freeware)

HDD Erase 4.0 - Secure erase using a special feature built into most
newer hard drives (Dos Freeware)

IBM Hitachi Drive Fitness Test 4.16 - quickly and reliably tests SCSI,
IDE and SATA drives (Dos Freeware)

IBM Hitachi Feature Tool 2.15 - allows you to control some of the
features of the the HDD (Dos Freeware)

Maxtor amset utility 4.0 - Utility for changing Acoustic Management on
the hard drives (Dos Freeware)

Maxtor Low Level Formatter 1.1 - Maxtor's Low Level Format Utility
works on any harddrive (Dos Freeware)

Maxtor PowerMax 4.23 - designed to perform diagnostic read/write
verifications on Maxtor/Quantum hard drives (Dos Freeware)

MHDD 4.6 - Precise diagnostic of the mechanical part of a drive,
perform Low-level format, Bad Sector Sepair, access raw sectors,
manage S.M.A.R.T. (SMART) and other drive parameters such as acoustic
management, security, Host Protected Area, etc. (Dos Freeware)

Samsung Disk Diagnose (SHDIAG) 1.28 - to diagnose the disk when
suspected to have failures (Dos Freeware)

Samsung ESTOOL 3.00g - Drive Diagnostic, Automatic Acoustic
Management, Enable/Disable SMART etc (Dos Freeware)

Samsung HDD Utility(HUTIL) 2.10 - The Drive Diagnostic Utility (Dos
Freeware)

SeaTools for Dos - GUI 2.20 Text 1.10 versions to test Seagate or
Maxtor Parallel ATA (PATA and IDE) and Serial ATA (SATA) interface
disc drives (Dos Freeware)

SmartUDM 2.00 - Hard Disk Drive S.M.A.R.T. Viewer. (Dos Freeware)

Toshiba Hard Disk Diagnostic 2.00b - Toshiba hard drive diagnostic
utility (Dos Freeware)

Victoria 3.33e and 3.52rus - a freeware program for low-level HDD
diagnostics (Dos Freeware)

ViVard 1.0 - HDD low-level diagnostics, Surface test with remap, SMART-
attributes etc. (Dos Freeware)

WDClear 1.30 - Restore/Erases the drive back to a factory condition
(Dos Freeware)

Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools 11.2 - for the installation of
Western Digital EIDE Hard Drives (Dos Freeware)

Western Digital Diagnostics (DLGDIAG) 5.04f - to quickly and
efficiently verify the status of the drive (Dos Freeware)

Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) 1.0.7 - Completely deletes the contents
of any hard disk it can detect (Linux Freeware)

HDD Regenerator 1.71 - to recover a bad hard drive (Dos Commercial)

----------------------------------
MBR (Master Boot Record) Tools
----------------------------------

BootSect 6.0.6 - Boot Sector Manipulation Tool, This tool replaces
FixFAT.exe and FixNTFS.exe (Windows Freeware)

BootICE 0.78 - a boot sector manipulation utility (Windows Freeware)

DiskMan 4.2 - all in one tool for cmos, bios, bootrecord and more
(Windows/Dos Freeware)

Grub4Dos installer 1.1 - an universal boot loader GRUB for DOS
installer (Windows Freeware)

HDHacker 1.4 - Load/Save/View MBR and BootSector from a physical/
logical drive (Windows Freeware)

MBRWizard 3.0.48 - Directly update and modify the MBR (Master Boot
Record) (Windows/Dos Freeware)

MbrFix 1.3 - To backup, restore, fix the boot code in the MBR (Windows/
Dos Freeware)

MBR Utility 1.05 - to manipulate a drive's master boot record (MBR)
via the command line (Windows/Dos Freeware)

BootFix Utility - Run this utility if you get 'Invalid system
disk' (Dos Freeware)

Boot Partition 2.60 - add Partition in the Windows NT/2000/XP Multi-
boot loader (Dos Freeware)

MBRWork 1.08 - a utility to perform some common and uncommon MBR
functions (Dos Freeware)

MBRTool 2.3.200 - backup, verify, restore, edit, refresh, remove,
display, re-write... (Dos Freeware)

MBR SAVE / RESTORE 2.1 - BootSave and BootRest tools to save / restore
MBR (Dos Freeware)

Smart Boot Manager 3.7.1 - a multi boot manager (Dos Freeware)

----------------------------------
MultiMedia Tools
----------------------------------

MpxPlay 1.56 - a small Music Player for dos (Dos Freeware)

Picture Viewer 1.94 - Picture viewer for dos, supports more then 40
filetypes. (Dos Freeware)

QuickView Pro 2.58 - movie viewer for dos, supports many format
including divx. (Dos Freeware)

----------------------------------
Ms Dos Tools
----------------------------------

1394 Firewire Support - 1394 Firewire Drivers for Dos (Dos Freeware)

ASUSTeK USB Driver 3 - ASUS USB CD-ROM Device Driver Version 1.00 (Dos
Freeware)

Dos tools - Collection of dos utilities extract.exe pkzip.exe
pkunzip.exe lha.exe gzip.exe uharcd.exe imgExtrc.exe xcopy.exe
diskcopy.com mouse.com undelete.com edit.com fdisk.exe fdisk2.exe
fdisk3.exe lf.exe delpart.exe wipe.com zap.com format.com deltree.exe
more.com find.exe hex.exe debug.exe split.exe mem.exe attrib.com
sys.com smartdrv.exe xmsdsk.exe killer.exe share.exe scandisk.exe
scanreg.exe guest.exe doskey.exe duse.exe move.exe setver.exe
intersvr.exe interlnk.exe loadlin.exe lfndos.exe doslfn.com (Dos
Commercial)

Interlnk support at COM1/LPT1 - To access another computer from COM/
LPT port (Dos Freeware)

SCSI Support - SCSI Drivers for Dos (Dos Freeware)

SATA Support - SATA Driver (gcdrom.sys) and JMicron JMB361
(xcdrom.sys) for Dos (Dos Freeware)

Universal USB Driver 2 - Panasonic v2.20 ASPI Manager for USB mass
storage (Dos Freeware)

USB CD-Rom Driver 1 - Standard usb_cd.sys driver for cd drive (Dos
Freeware)

----------------------------------
Network Tools
----------------------------------

Angry IP Scanner 2.21 - Scan IP addresses in any range as well as any
their ports (Windows Freeware)

CurrPorts 1.81 - displays the list of all currently opened TCP and UDP
ports on your computer (Windows Freeware)

Network Password Recovery 1.24 - Recover Windows XP/Vista network
passwords (Credentials file) (Windows Freeware)

TCPView 2.54 - Lists TCP and UDP endpoints, including the Local/Remote
addresses of TCP connections (Windows Freeware)

Winsock 2 Fix for 9x - to fix corrupted Winsock2 information by poorly
written Internet programs (Windows Freeware)

XP TCP/IP Repair 1.0 - Repair your Windows XP Winsock and TCP/IP
registry errors (Windows Freeware)

----------------------------------
Optimizers
----------------------------------

Defraggler 1.20.201 - to defrag your entire hard drive or individual
files (Windows Freeware)

JkDefrag 3.36 - Free disk defragment and optimize utility for Windows
2000/2003/XP/Vista/Windows 7 (Windows Freeware)

NT Registry Optimizer 1.1j - Registry Optimization for Windows NT/
2000/2003/XP/Vista (Windows Freeware)

PageDfrg 2.32 - System file Defragmenter For NT/2k/XP (Windows
Freeware)

----------------------------------
Other Tools
----------------------------------

Bulk Rename Utility 2.7.1.2 - Rename multiple files, change timestamps
and rename using EXIF data with the click of a button. (Windows
Freeware)

SearchMyFiles 1.47 - Alternative to 'Search For Files And Folders'
module of Windows + Duplicates Search (Windows Freeware)

Fix NTLDR is missing - Fix "NTLDR is missing, Press any key to
restart" for Windows Xp (Dos Freeware)

Universal TCP/IP Network 6.5 - MSDOS Network Client to connect via TCP/
IP to a Microsoft based network. The network can either be a peer-to-
peer or a server based network, it contains 98 different network card
drivers (Dos Freeware)

Mini Linux - Recovery is Possible Linux (RIPLinux 9.8) contains aria2,
cdrtools, curl, ddrescue, dump/restore, emelfm2, epdfview,
extundelete, fsarchiver, grub2, hdparm, isomaster, lftp, lynx, lzip,
mtpaint, ntfs-3g, openssh, partclone, partimage, pccmoscleaner,
pcdiskeraser, pcloginnow, pcregedit, pidgin, qemu, reiserfsck,
safecopy, smbclient, xfburn, xterm and more (Linux Freeware)

----------------------------------
Partition Tools
----------------------------------

GParted Partition Editor 0.6.0b2 - to create, copy, paste, delete,
hide, resize or move partitions without losing data (Linux Freeware)

Fat32 Formatter GUI 1.01 - Windows XP cannot format a volume bigger
than 32GB with FAT32 (Windows Freeware)

Partition Wizard Home Edition 5.0 - Free Partition Magic Alternative,
Partition Resize/Move/Copy/Create/Delete/Format/Convert, Explore, etc.
(Windows Freeware)

USB Format Tool - Format/make bootable any USB flash drive to FAT,
FAT32, or NTFS partition. (Windows Freeware)

eXtended Fdisk 0.9.3 - XFDISK allows easy partition creation and
edition (Dos Freeware)

Partition Table Editor 8.0 - Partition Table and Boot Record Editor
(Dos Freeware)

Ranish Partition Manager 2.44 - a boot manager and hard disk
partitioner. (Dos Freeware)

Smart Fdisk 2.05 - a simple harddisk partition manager (Dos Freeware)

SPecial Fdisk 2000.03v - SPFDISK a partition tool. (Dos Freeware)

Super Fdisk 1.0 - Create, delete, format partitions drives without
destroying data. (Dos Freeware)

The Partition Resizer 1.3.4 - move and resize your partitions in one
step and more. (Dos Freeware)

Acronis Disk Director 10.0.2160 - Popular disk management functions in
a single suite (Dos Commercial)

Paragon Partition Manager 7.0.1274 - Universal tool for partitions
(Dos Commercial)

----------------------------------
Password Tools
----------------------------------

Asterisk Logger 1.04 - Reveal passwords hidden behind asterisk
characters. (Windows Freeware)

Content Advisor Password Remover 1.01 - It Removes Content Advisor
Password from Internet Explorer (Windows Freeware)

LicenseCrawler 0.0.42 - find the license keys and serial numbers of
your programs (Windows Freeware)

Mail PassView 1.55 - Recovers mail passwords of Outlook Express, MS
Outlook, IncrediMail, Eudora, etc. (Windows Freeware)

MessenPass 1.30 - A password recovery tool that reveals the passwords
of several instant messangers (Windows Freeware)

Password Renew 1.1 - Utility to (re)set windows passwords (Windows
Freeware)

ProduKey 1.41 - Recovers lost the product key of your Windows/Office
(Windows Freeware)

PST (Outlook) Password Recovery 1.12 - Small utility that recovers
lost password of Outlook .PST (Personal Folders) file (Windows
Freeware)

WindowsGate 1.1 - Enables/Disables Windows logon password validation
(Windows Freeware)

WinKeyFinder 1.73 - Allows you to View and Change Windows XP/2003
Product Keys, backup and restore activation related files, backup
Microsoft Office 97, 2000 SP2, XP/2003 keys etc. (Windows Freeware)

WirelessKeyView 1.34 - Recovers all wireless network keys (WEP/WPA)
stored in your computer by WZC (Windows Freeware)

XP Key Reader 2.7 - Can decode the XP-key on Local or Remote systems
(Windows Freeware)

Kon-Boot 1.1 - to bypass Login Password of Windows (32bit, any
password) and Linux (kon-usr) (Linux Freeware)

Offline NT Password Changer 2008-08-02 - utility to reset/unlock
windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7 administrator/user password. (Linux
Freeware)

ATAPWD 1.2 - Hard Disk Password Utility (Dos Freeware)

NTPWD - utility to reset windows nt/2000/xp administrator/user
password. (Dos Freeware)

Active Password Changer 3.0.420 - To Reset User Password on windows NT/
2000/XP/2003/Vista (FAT/NTFS) (Dos Commercial)

----------------------------------
Process Tools
----------------------------------

Dependency Walker 2.2 - Checks for missing/invalid DLL/modules/
functions for any exe/dll/ocx/sys. (Windows Freeware)

IB Process Manager 1.04 - a little process manager for 9x/2k, shows
dll info etc. (Windows Freeware)

OpenedFilesView 1.46 - View opened/locked files in your system,
sharing violation issues (Windows Freeware)

Pocket KillBox 2.0.0.978 - can be used to get rid of files that
stubbornly refuse to allow you to delete them (Windows Freeware)

Process Explorer 12.04 - shows you information about which handles and
DLLs processes have opened or loaded (Windows Freeware)

Process Monitor 2.91 - to monitor real-time file system, Registry and
process/thread activity, This tool replaces Filemon and Regmon
(Windows Freeware)

ProcessActivityView 1.11 - Detailed process access information read/
write/opened files etc (Windows Freeware)

Unlocker 1.8.9 - This tool can delete file/folder when you get this
message - Cannot delete file: Access is denied, The file is in use by
another program etc. (Windows Freeware)

----------------------------------
RAM (Memory) Testing Tools
----------------------------------

MemTest 1.0 - a Memory Testing Tool (Windows Freeware)

Video Memory Stress Test 1.7.116 - a tool to thoroughly test your
video RAM for errors and faults (Windows Freeware)

Windows Memory Diagnostic - a RAM Test tool (Windows Freeware)

Memtest86+ 4.10 - PC Memory Test (Linux Freeware)

----------------------------------
Recovery Tools
----------------------------------

Partition Find and Mount 2.31 - Partition Find and Mount software is
designed to find lost or deleted partitions (Windows Freeware)

PhotoRec 6.12b - Tool to Recover File and pictures from Dos/Windows/
Linux (Windows/Dos Freeware)

PartitionRecovery 1.0 - A freeware tool to recover accidentally
deleted partitions (Windows Freeware)

Recuva 1.37.488 - Restore deleted files from Hard Drive, Digital
Camera Memory Card, usb mp3 player... (Windows Freeware)

Restoration 3.2.13 - a tool to recover deleted files (Windows
Freeware)

Smart Partition Recovery 3.3 - Find Lost NTFS partitions and restore
them back. (Windows Freeware)

SoftPerfect File Recovery 1.2 - to restore accidentally deleted files
from hard drive, USB flash drives, CF and SD memory cards (Windows
Freeware)

TestDisk 6.12b - Tool to check and undelete partition from Dos/Windows/
Linux (Windows/Dos Freeware)

Unstoppable Copier 4.4 - Allows you to copy files from disks with
problems such as bad sectors, scratches or that just give errors when
reading data. (Windows Freeware)

Active Undelete 5.5 - a tool to recover deleted files (Windows
Commercial)

Active Partition Recovery 3.0 - To Recover a Deleted partition. (Dos
Commercial)

DiyDataRecovery Diskpatch 2.1.100 - An excellent data recovery
software. (Dos Commercial)

GetDataBack for FAT/NTFS 4.0 - Data recovery software for FAT/NTFS
file systems (Windows Commercial)

Prosoft Media Tools 5.0 v1.1.2.64 - Another excellent data recovery
software with many other options. (Dos Commercial)

----------------------------------
Registry Tools
----------------------------------

ERUNT 1.1j - The Emergency Recovery Utility NT Registry Backup and
Restore for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP (Windows Freeware)

Fix HDC - Fix the Hard Drive Controller when replacing your
motherboard on an XP system (Windows Freeware)

Glary Registry Repair 3.3.0.852 - an advanced registry cleaner that
allows you to safely scan, clean, and repair registry problems
(Windows Freeware)

RegFromApp 1.21 - Monitors/exports the Registry changes made by the
selected application. (Windows Freeware)

Registry Editor PE 0.9c - Easy editing of remote registry hives and
user profiles (Windows Freeware)

Registry Restore Wizard 1.0.4 - Restores a corrupted system registry
from Xp System Restore (Windows Freeware)

RegScanner 1.82 - Tool to find/search in the Registry of Windows
(Windows Freeware)

RegShot 1.8.2 - a registry compare utility that allows you to quickly
take a snapshot of your registry and then compare it with a second one
- done after doing system changes or installing a new software product
(Windows Freeware)

Registry Viewer 4.2 - Registry Viewer/Editor for Win9x/Me/NT/2K/XP
(Dos Freeware)

----------------------------------
Remote Control Tools
----------------------------------

TeamViewer 1.85 - Access any remote computer via Internet just like
sitting in front of it, even through firewalls. (Windows Freeware)

TightVNC 1.3.10 - Cross-platform Remote Desktop Software to view/
control remote pc with mouse and keyboard (Windows Freeware)

----------------------------------
Security Tools
----------------------------------

DiskCryptor 0.9 - High speed disk encryption tool to encrypt all disk/
partitions, including the system partition encryption support (Windows
Freeware)

TrueCrypt 6.3a - On-the-fly Linux/Windows disk encryption tool, can
create a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mount it as a real
disk, can also encrypt an entire HDD/Partition/USB Drive (Windows
Freeware)

----------------------------------
Startup Tools
----------------------------------

Autoruns 10.01 - Displays All the entries from startup folder, Run,
RunOnce, and other Registry keys, Explorer shell extensions,toolbars,
browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications, auto-start services,
Scheduled Tasks, Winsock, LSA Providers, Remove Drivers and much more
which helps to remove nasty spyware/adware and viruses. (Windows
Freeware)

HijackThis 2.0.4 - a general homepage hijackers detector and remover
and more (Windows Freeware)

Silent Runners Revision 61 - A free script that helps detect spyware,
malware and adware in the startup process (Windows Freeware)

Startup Control Panel 2.8 - a tool to edit startup programs (Windows
Freeware)

Startup Monitor 1.02 - it notifies you when any program registers
itself to run at system startup (Windows Freeware)

----------------------------------
System Information Tools
----------------------------------

BlueScreenView 1.26 - Scans minidump files for BSOD (blue screen of
death) crash information (Windows Freeware)

CPU-Z 1.54 - It gathers information on some of the main devices of
your system (Windows Freeware)

Drive Temperature 1.0 - Hard Disk Drive temperature meter (Windows
Freeware)

GPU-Z 0.4.3 - A lightweight utility designed to give you all
information about your video card and GPU (Windows Freeware)

HDTune 2.55 - Hard disk benchmarking and information tool. (Windows
Freeware)

PC Wizard 2010.1.94 - Powerful system information/benchmark utility
designed especially for detection of hardware. (Windows Freeware)

PCI 32 Sniffer 1.4 (2606) - device information tool (similar to
unknown devices) (Windows Freeware)

SIW 2010.0428 - Gathers detailed information about your system
properties and settings. (Windows Freeware)

Speccy 1.02.156 - an advanced System Information tool for your PC
(Windows Freeware)

UnknownDevices 1.4.20 (2606) - helps you find what those unknown
devices in Device Manager really are (Windows Freeware)

Update Checker 1.037 - scans your computer for installed software and
checks for newer releases on FileHippo (Windows Freeware)

USBDeview 1.70 - View/Uninstall all installed/connected USB devices on
your system (Windows Freeware)

Astra 5.46 - Advanced System info Tool and Reporting Assistant (Dos
Freeware)

CPU Identification utility 1.18 - Detailed information on CPU
(CHKCPU.EXE) (Dos Freeware)

CTIA CPU Information 2.7 - another CPU information tool (Dos Freeware)

HWiNFO 5.5.0 - a powerful system information utility (Dos Freeware)

Navratil Software System Information 0.60.38 - High-end professional
system information tool (Dos Freeware)

PCI and AGP info Tool (2606) - The PCI System information &
Exploration tool. (Dos Freeware)

System Analyser 5.3w - View extensive information about your hardware
(Dos Freeware)

SysChk 2.46 - Find out exactly what is under the hood of your PC (Dos
Freeware)

----------------------------------
Testing Tools
----------------------------------

Bart's Stuff Test 5.1.4 - Long term heavy stress testing storage
devices (Windows Freeware)

Disk Speed 1.0 - Hard Disk Drive Speed Testing Tool (Windows Freeware)

H2testw 1.4 - Check your USB Flash memory cards, internal/external
hard drives and network drives for errors with this tool (Windows
Freeware)

HDD Scan 3.2 - HDDScan is a Low-level HDD diagnostic tool, it scans
surface find bad sectors etc. (Windows Freeware)

IsMyLcdOK (Monitor Test) 1.02 - Allows you to test CRT/LCD/TFT screens
for dead pixels and diffective screens (Windows Freeware)

S&M Stress Test 1.9.1 - cpu/hdd/memory benchmarking and information
tool, including temperatures/fan speeds/voltages (Windows Freeware)

System Speed Test 4.78 - it tests CPU, harddrive, ect. (Dos Freeware)

CPU/Video/Disk Performance Test 5.7 - a tool to test cpu, video, and
disk (Dos Freeware)

Test Hard Disk Drive 1.0 - a tool to test Hard Disk Drive (Dos
Freeware)

PC-Check 6.21 - Easy to use hardware tests (Dos Commercial)

----------------------------------
Tweakers
----------------------------------

Dial a Fix 0.60.0.24 - Fix errors and problems with COM/ActiveX object
errors and missing registry entries, Automatic Updates, SSL, HTTPS,
and Cryptography service (signing/verification) issues, Reinstall
internet explorer etc. comes with the policy scanner (Windows
Freeware)

Disable Autorun - A small tweak which disables processing of
autorun.inf to protect your PC from usb autorun viruses (Windows
Freeware)

Disable Compress Old Files - This registry tweak is useful when Disk
Cleanup Tool Stops Responding While Compressing Old Files (Windows
Freeware)

EzPcFix 1.0.0.16 - Helpful tool when trying to remove viruses,
spyware, and malware (Windows Freeware)

InstalledCodec 1.15 - Disable/Enable Installed Codec drivers and
DirectShow filters (Windows Freeware)

KeyTweak 2.3.0 - a program to Remap Keyboard Layout, you can even
customize a broken key to an unused key (Windows Freeware)

Protect a Drive from Autorun Virus - Protect your pen drive from being
infected when you plug it in an infected PC. (Windows Freeware)

RemoveWGA 1.2 - Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications Removal tool
(Windows Freeware)

RRT - Remove Restrictions Tool 3.0 - To Re-enable Ctrl+Alt+Del, Folder
Options and Registry tools etc. (Windows Freeware)

Shell Extensions Manager (ShellExView) 1.47 - An excellent tool to
View and Manage all installed Context-menu/Shell extensions (Windows
Freeware)

ShellMenuNew 1.01 - View/Change the list of all menu items in the
'New' submenu of Windows Explorer (Windows Freeware)

Show Hidden Devices - Device Manager hides nonpresent devices that are
not physically present in the system, but still have configuration
information in the Registry. (Windows Freeware)

TweakUI 2.10 - This PowerToy gives you access to system settings that
are not exposed in Windows Xp (Windows Freeware)

Ultimate Windows Tweaker 2.1 - A TweakUI Utility for tweaking and
optimizing Windows Vista (Windows Freeware)

Write Protect USB Devices - Tweak your PC to make USB Pen Drive,
Memory Card or Thumb Drive as Read Only (Windows Freeware)

Xp-AntiSpy 3.97.9 - it tweaks some Windows XP functions, and disables
some unneeded Windows services quickly (Windows Freeware)

Flasherly

A perpetually gibberish-speaking Gigabyte fan boy...

Excuse me, but do correct me if you're bit attempting to impugn my
first Gbyte, I've only ported over off another XP install, cleaned to
a hint of residual polish beneath, all for luck of fanatic
presumptions, to allusions on hope's stump, in perpetuity, intended to
grind salt in a great, gaping wound life tenuously thinks worth
clinging so to exist?

RayLopez99

George Bush Junior also helped ship 8 million jobs to communist

China slave labor factories. But this Luddite doesn't care about

putting its fellow countrymen out of work, as long as it saves a

few pennies when it goes to the store.

There was a similar debate back in the 19th century and if I recall the Black-American Booker T. Washington advocated tariffs against Chinese importedpeanuts, arguing they were grown with cheap serf or near-slave labour. Today, you could plausibly claim that Chinese manufactured goods produce excess CO2 and contribute to global warming, and therefore warrant a tariff, but unfortunately I've not seen anybody make this half-way intelligent argument, probably because the US itself is against greenhouse gas abatement.

RL

Top