Getting rid of: "The data file 'Personal Folders' was not closed properly. The file is being checked

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Interoperability' started by Victor Schwartz, Jul 1, 2005.

  1. I have been sharing my Outlook (2002) mail folders and settings between my
    laptop and my desktop computers by moving the entire outlook.pst back and
    forth.

    This has MOSTLY been working quite nicely. But ever since I started doing
    this, MOST (but not ALL) start-ups of Outlook have produced the following
    message:

    "The data file 'Personal Folders' was not closed properly. The file is
    being checked for problems."

    Then I have to wait (sometimes as long as 10 minutes) for Outlook to do
    whatever it is doing.

    Can anyone advise as to how to get rid of this irritating behavior?

    Thank you,

    Victor Schwartz

    P.S. Please cc on your reply to this post.

    Victor Schwartz, Jul 1, 2005

  2. Victor Schwartz <> wrote:

    > This has MOSTLY been working quite nicely. But ever since I started
    > doing this, MOST (but not ALL) start-ups of Outlook have produced the
    > following message:
    >
    > "The data file 'Personal Folders' was not closed properly. The file
    > is being checked for problems."

    This is indicative of some other application keeping Outlook open even after
    you think it has closed. See if something here helps:
    http://www.slipstick.com/problems/close.htm
    --
    Brian Tillman

    Brian Tillman, Jul 1, 2005

  3. Victor Schwartz

    Guest

    Brian,

    Thank you for your helpful reply. Your analysis is probably correct,
    because I have often found Outlook listed in the active process list
    after I have shut down Outlook. I have 2 follow-up comments/questions:

    1. Re: "Antivirus programs that support scanning email for viruses will
    tend to keep Outlook open. Disable email scanning and Outlook should
    close correctly. It's perfectly safe to disable this setting - it gives
    you advanced warning of viruses but as long as you can control your
    urge to open every attachment you receive, you'll be just as safe with
    it disabled."

    I hear you, but would PREFER not to have to do this. (Yes, I do run
    Norton Antivirus AND AntiSPAM software, and they do scan incoming
    e-mail.)

    But more significantly:

    2. I often get the message:

    "The data file 'Personal Folders' was not closed properly. The file is
    being checked for problems."

    upon starting Outlook immediately after re-booting! How can some other
    process keep Outlook open across a re-boot?

    (Or is there something that gets messed up prior to the re-boot that
    persists even after re-booting?)

    Thank you,

    Victor Schwartz

    Brian Tillman wrote:
    > Victor Schwartz <> wrote:
    >
    > > This has MOSTLY been working quite nicely. But ever since I started
    > > doing this, MOST (but not ALL) start-ups of Outlook have produced the
    > > following message:
    > >
    > > "The data file 'Personal Folders' was not closed properly. The file
    > > is being checked for problems."

    > This is indicative of some other application keeping Outlook open even after
    > you think it has closed. See if something here helps:
    > http://www.slipstick.com/problems/close.htm
    > --
    > Brian Tillman

    , Jul 2, 2005
  4. <> wrote:

    > 2. I often get the message:
    >
    > "The data file 'Personal Folders' was not closed properly. The file is
    > being checked for problems."
    >
    > upon starting Outlook immediately after re-booting! How can some
    > other process keep Outlook open across a re-boot?
    >
    > (Or is there something that gets messed up prior to the re-boot that
    > persists even after re-booting?)

    Because the file wasn't closed properly when the PC was shut down, Outlook
    notices that and complains when it opens the file after reboot.
    --
    Brian Tillman

    Brian Tillman, Jul 5, 2005
  5. Victor Schwartz

    val

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Search for the folder that contains your .pst files. If there is a .dat file in the same folder as your .pst files, rename the .dat extension.

    val, Apr 20, 2006
  6. Victor Schwartz

    ToKon

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Rename?

    So you are suggesting to rename the .dat, but what file extension do you suggest to rename it to?

    /ToKon

    ToKon, Feb 6, 2009