getting dates to autocomplete

Stephen Larivee

I would like to enter a month and then hit a space, and have the full date
appear if I hit enter. Word used to work this way for me but I am having no
luck getting Word 2007 to comply. Any suggestions??

Suzanne S. Barnhill

That AutoComplete function was flaky even in previous versions. In Word 2007
AutoComplete works *only* for dates and not reliably even for those.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

Stephen Larivee

Bummer!!!!

But thank you.

Suzanne S. Barnhill said:
That AutoComplete function was flaky even in previous versions. In Word
2007 AutoComplete works *only* for dates and not reliably even for those.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

Stefan Blom

If you want to continue experimenting with AutoComplete suggestions, first make sure it is turned on: In Word, press Alt+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor. Press Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window. Type

Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = True

and press Enter. Close the Visual Basic Editor window.

However, as already discussed, AutoComplete is not very reliable. You may prefer to use a macro that inserts the current date in the desired format. For example:

Sub InsertCurrentDateFixed()
Selection.Range.InsertAfter Format$(Now(), "MMMM D, YYYY")
Selection.Collapse wdCollapseEnd

End Sub

For assistance with the latter macro, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

Stefan Blom