Generic Host Process for Win 32

Dale

My zone alarm (professional) frequently notifies me that
Server Program Generic Host Process for Win 32 is trying
to access the internet. Zone Alarm explains that the
program serves things such as chat, media streaming, voice
over, etc.

One guru explained to me that he only allows this generic
host process to access certain ports and denys it access
to others.

Do you know how I might do this while using zone alarm?
When I deny access, I do find a lot of internet pages
unavailable and wonder whether I'd run into problems if I
just give the program access across the board. Thanks
dale

Jason [MSFT]

Hey Dale,

Generic Host Process for Win 32 is another name for svchost. The first
thing i would do would be to use a utility such as "process explorer" from
www.sysinternals.com to determine what is running under that particular
instance of svchost that is requiring internet access. Once that has been
determined, consult the documentation and/or vendor of that application to
determine what ports it requires. Open and/or close your ports as needed

Jason Hoffman (e-mail address removed)
MSCE,MSCA,CISSP, Security +
PSS Security
Available Mon.-Fri 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.