GB file transfers kill 1Gb/s LAN connection

REAF

My configuration is (as far as I consider it potentially relevant) like this:

System S1:
MOBO: Asus A8V Deluxe (BIOS AV81008.AMI)
Chipsets: VIA K8T800Pro, VIA VT8237
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Mem: 2x 512 MB DDRAM
HD1: IDE Maxtor 6Y080P0, 80GB
HD2: SATA Samsung SP0812C, 80GB
NIC: 1Gb/s Marvell Yukon 88E8001 (on board)
OS: XP Pro SP2, latest updates
Mc Afee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0

System S2:
MOBO: Asus A7V8X-X (BIOS 1014.001 beta)
Chipsset: VIA KT400, VIA VT8235
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Mem: 3x 256 MB DDRAM
HD1: IDE Maxtor 6E040L0, 40GB
HD2: IDE Maxtor 6Y080P0, 80GB
NIC1: 100 Mb/s Realtek VIA-comaptible Fast Ethernet-Adapter (on board)
NIC2: 1Gb/s Intel PRO/1000 MT, PCI
OS: XP Pro SP2, latest updates
Mc Afee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0

S1 and S2 ar conneceted via an Allnet ALL8445 1Gb/s ethernet switch
and CAT6 cables.

My intention is to 'regularly' save copies of (Norton Ghost)
system and data backups so that on each system, S1 and S2, always a complete
set of backups of both systems is available. Presently, the GHOST images are
typically about 3GB big.

When transferring from S2 to S1, everthing always works perfectly at
about 20 MB/s transfer rate as judged by the rate indicators
in the TaskManager/Network window (20% of 1Gb/s).

When transferring from S1 to S2 via the 1GB/s NIC2, transfer starts at
about 27 MB/s and continues for less than about one minute after which
the transfer breaks down - as indicated by the stalling of the progress
bar and the rate display in the TaskManager/Network window. Afterwards
the LAN connection remains dead until I mannually deactivate/activate
it in the NetworkEnvironment/Properties menue. Very rarely, I even
had to reboot to get the LAN connection running again. Occasionally
I receive a "specified network name is no longer available" message but
usually the network just stalls.

When copying complete directory trees (several GB) file by file from S1 to S2
via the 1Gb/s NIC2, the transfers complete sucessfully with transfer rates
up to 25 MB/s and single files as large as 63 MB.

When connecting the CAT6 cable to the 100 Mb/s NIC1 on S2, all transfers
S1 -> S2 work perfectly again at about 9 MB/s (90% of 100 Mb/s).

Whether or not VirusScan is active doesn't make any difference

After intensive searches for the keywords 'large file lan transfer' I
only found that others have/had similar problems, e.g. in the thread
started by

From: "Harry Callahan" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows
Subject: A LAN problem and a odd thing...
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:02:00 +0300

but I could identify no hints as to where (on S2?) the problem resides and
how to solve it.

Hopefully someone here has deeper insights than those I queried so far.

Many thanks in advance, Rainer Facius