Windows XP Gateway and IP address

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Yes, this is the second thread of me. After I recovered my e-mails.....I can't get online and I totally don't know what to do.

I found out that the gateway and the router has the same address, I don't think it should be like that, shouldn't it? They are both 192.168.2.102 ???? I used ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew, but I still get the same result.

I also deleted the DNS Suffix and use everything automatically and also DCHP is on! Somehow I still get the wrong DNS when I view with ipconfig/all

So, how can I clear everything? So that I can make the new fresh setting to my router. If anyone knows, please help me. Thank you very much.

Reaction score
first off all the default gateway must be the IP of your router.

I take it your using the DHCP server on your router?

if so the DHCP server will give the clients an internet DNS address.

Post the output from IPCONFIG /ALL if you are still having problems. best way to do this is to type the following at a command prompt;

IPCONFIG /ALL>C:\IPCONFIG.TXT

you should then have a text file called IPCONFIG in the root of your C drive. copy the contents and post here.

Reaction score
Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : <computername>
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : groni1.gr.home.nl
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : groni1.gr.home.nl
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8029(AS)-based PCI Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 52-54-05-FC-1A-13

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.102

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.102

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.102

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.120.80.4
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 05, 2005 7:29:29 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 28, 2035 7:29:29 PM

I think this setting is so wrong, please let me know what I should do. Thank you again for your help.

Reaction score
sorry grim, only just relised that you posted.

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.102

the above is set incorrectly as it is the same as your router IP which will cause conflicts and won't work at all.

Change the machine's IP to anything between 192.168.2.1 - 192.168.2.254 but not 192.168.2.102.

Each node on a network whether it be a router or computer MUST have a unique IP address.

Reaction score
Check the settings on your pc first.
Right click on your network adapter, select properties.
Highlight tcpip in the list, click the properties button.

On the first page, is it set to obtain address automatically? if not, try checking that on.
DIsregard the rest if this fixes your problem.

If it is on, next go to your router config page and be sure the dhcp server is enabled. if hyou enable it, then do a release/renew on the pc and check your settings.

IF that fails, I would try doing a hard reset of the router. check the docs for how to do that, it will set back to factory defaults, so if there is any setup information in there required by your ISP, be sure you have it written down.
Usually the hard reset is power off, press in the reset button, hold it in and power on. hold it reset for some time (varies from 5 to 30 seconds)
Re-enter any config info per the instructions.
This will reset the password back to defaults.

Reaction score
Thank you very much. The IP adress situation is now back to normal and I can again connect to the router (YES!), but...yes there is a 'but' I don't understand about the gateway. Somehow the gateway is 0.0.0.0. Is it supposed to be the same IP adress as the router or not? I have set everything "automatically" (DHCP is enabled) and the lights at the router seem fine to me, but I always get DNS error. pffff.... I wish I could you guys' brain.

Please help me. Thank you and thank you! :)

Reaction score
Yes, the gateway is usually the router address.if you do an ipconfig /all what addresses does it show?

I think you should try this sequence, just for grins:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /registerdns

then do the ipconfig /all

Also what is the error you are seeing?

Reaction score
I did what you say, it's working fine now with all IP adresses. Thanks a lot :)

and your question is "what is the error you are seeing?"
well...it still shows DNS server error in my browser. I checked the router, it's working fine, I've got all the information from my ISP. I mean DNS, gateway, and the cable is connected. What could be the problem? :S

Reaction score
It's working very fine now, I'm now online with my PC. Thanks a lot for your help. I think I just did something stupid with the DNS setting. :)

Reaction score
Good! glad you got it working. windows tcpip stack is sometimes finicky and can be fragile. you may have had some old dns info in there for a static setting.
At least with w2k/xp it is usually possible to straighten it out without having to reinstall tcpip, which is common in the 9x/me versions.
Laterz!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask a Question