game port problem

Jamie

I have a cd containing many classic arcade games. I now
have windows xp - the problem is that the joystick i have
only seems to installed properly though the usb port.
Although it can be plug into the game port, it does not
install properly through the setup wizard. Unfortunately
the games on this disk do not seem to recognise any
movement from the joystick from the usb - can anyone help?

Jimmy S.

Hi Jamie,

I guess you have a Gameport to USB adapter since you can
plug that joystick into either type of port. Here's what to do:

To install a GamePort controller, Plug it in, click Start / Control Panel /
Switch to Classic view if you haven't already / click Game Controllers
Click Add... / Select your type of joystick from the list / OK / OK.

Once done, calibrate the joystick, try it in those games and report
back if it doesn't work in which case we'll try 95/98 compatibility mode.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| I have a cd containing many classic arcade games. I now
| have windows xp - the problem is that the joystick i have
| only seems to installed properly though the usb port.
| Although it can be plug into the game port, it does not
| install properly through the setup wizard. Unfortunately
| the games on this disk do not seem to recognise any
| movement from the joystick from the usb - can anyone help?

You are right about the gameport/usb adaptor. I have tried
your suggestion, but this does not work. The joystick just
does not calibrate if plugged into the game port. In the
test and calibrate window, the cross just flits about all
over and the fire buttons have no effect. Anything else we
can try? (I do have a driver disk with the joystick, but
this is only for 95/98, as with xp it plugs straight into
the usb).
I guess you have a Gameport to USB adapter since you can
plug that joystick into either type of port. Here's what to do:

To install a GamePort controller, Plug it in, click Start / Control Panel /
Switch to Classic view if you haven't already / click Game Controllers
Click Add... / Select your type of joystick from the list / OK / OK.

Once done, calibrate the joystick, try it in those games and report
back if it doesn't work in which case we'll try 95/98 compatibility mode.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=FH;[LN];gms
Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact

Joshua Smith [MSFT]

What are the makes and models of devices you are using? Some devices that
are two to three years only actually come with a gameport to USB dongle that
they are designed to work with.

--
Joshua Smith
DirectInput Test Lab

MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=sz;en-us;top

| I have a cd containing many classic arcade games. I now
| have windows xp - the problem is that the joystick i have
| only seems to installed properly though the usb port.
| Although it can be plug into the game port, it does not
| install properly through the setup wizard. Unfortunately
| the games on this disk do not seem to recognise any
| movement from the joystick from the usb - can anyone help?

.

I have now sorted the problem with the joystick. It was
simply that for some reason, in 'advanced' it was
defaulting to none as oppose to the joystick. I have now
rectified this - thanks for your help.

However, i now have a bit of a problem - ever since i
posted my original e-mail, i am getting bombarded with
spam, as well as constant virus warnings (something to do
with Drake?) The e-mail address i posted is my work one
and each monring when i log in, there are normally about
40/50 junk e-mails - is there anything that can be do like
remove my original discussion thread or delete my e-mail
address from it.

Thanks,
Jamie.

________________________________________________________ _

| I have a cd containing many classic arcade games. I now
| have windows xp - the problem is that the joystick i have
| only seems to installed properly though the usb port.
| Although it can be plug into the game port, it does not
| install properly through the setup wizard. Unfortunately
| the games on this disk do not seem to recognise any
| movement from the joystick from the usb - can anyone help?

.

.

Jimmy S.

Hi,

MS has set the time to live for every post on their new servers
now to 30 days for situations such as this, and offered up some
instructions on how to munge an email address.

Readers infected with a virus are sending out those fake virus
warnings. You can setup a rule to delete them automatically.
"If the email claims to be from Microsoft and it contains an
attachment, delete it.". Sorry for your troubles.