Gab's Network Issues - Resolved!!!!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear all

An update on the network + printer share scenario.

2.5 hours with latest expert has resolved the situation. He was also baffled to start with and I think the previous experts have confused the issue. I am now networked and printer sharing enabled and have told Norton what trused IP addresses to allow and all (fingers and toes crossed etc.....) seems to be working well and dandy.

This has been a nightmare and all I can say is networking XP Home + Pro is not as easy as one might think on a first look.

Thank you to all who have offered cyber support in this thorny issue.

Love

Gabs xx

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well done that Girl ...
bowdown.gif

I hope he wrote it all down for you ... :D

Reaction score
Hi Gabs, Glad all is ok now, sometimes experts baffle each other with techy views;) Good to hear the empire is now taking shape:thumb: :wave: :bow:

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your kind comments - my role today involved making cups of coffee and watching.

No Mucks, he didn't write anything down but I have a note of what he did - he create a new drive (M) which he then networked from the desktop to the lappy. I have been testing it and it's looking good but the agonies of this has been unreal. The Norton firewall was a biggy and not to be underestimated but I have 'him' now set up and instructed to allow the network.

I have learned a lot and it didn't cost me that much which is good.

Love

Gabs xx

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Is there anything you cannot get done? With or without help? ;)

Another hurdle out of the way! That is so nice to know :thumb:

Reaction score
Oh i love a happy ending, even more so if it did not cost much to fix;)

And as feckit said get a couple of network experts together and something is going to go wrong:D :eek: :lol:

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thanks Quad and Murdoch!!

Another thing out of the way!!

Love

Gabs xx

Reaction score
As i said all along, Antivirus programs screw you over :)

Glad its all working!!

Hope it didnt cost you too much!!!!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Chris

Yep, you were partially right about the AV - however there were many other issues that I could never have got to the bottom of and although you good people advised me well - it got to the stage where someone with some proper 'know how' had to grapple with it. I wouldn't have known how to create a static IP address or map a drive (for example) and doing it in cyberspace would have landed me in difficulty.

It cost me £70 for 2.5 hours work and 1 hour travelling for the guy - I am a local Chamber member and he did it me at discounted rate. I think it was worth the money - do you?

Love

Gabs x

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
thats not a bad rate and considering he got it working i think he deserves it

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thanks Me_2001!!

Never having done this sort of thing before I thought it wasn't too bad plus he had to put right what myself and others had made a pretty poor job of.

Love

Gabs x

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
to finish what two other people have started probably isn't easiest thing to do but he must really know what he's doing, i'd keep a note of his number just incase it all goes t**s up

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
gabriella said:
It cost me £70 for 2.5 hours work and 1 hour travelling for the guy - I am a local Chamber member and he did it me at discounted rate. I think it was worth the money - do you?

Allow me to comment on the response you gave to Chris ;)

There are two ways to looking at this, just think of the£70 that you spent, it can be taken either as an expenditure or an investment. I want you to look at it as an investment. Think about all the problems you would have faced taking the data back and forth from one computer to the other, the facility of directly printing docs was not available, etc etc The time you saved is what counts, after all time is money, being less frustrated means your output goes up.

All the savings you made compared to the £70 would actually be more than that and hence this expenditure should actually be considered an investment. Your reward is; the £70 will pay itself back in multiples.

I am not trying to make you feel better, but, that is a fact.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
You are a wise man Quadophile - thank you and yes, your thinking is quite accurate!!

Love

Gabriella x

Ask a Question